Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 sights

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

1911 sights

I recently purchased a second hand TRP. Plan on shooting it a bit before deciding if I need/want anything modified.

That being said I’ve been reading online about sights and am a bit overwhelmed at the amount of information out there. Seems there are numerous different front and rear sight cuts. If I’m not mistaken TRP with rear adjustable sights is a “dovetail cut. While I read that the front sight is propriety. Worried that this is misinformation.

Guess my question is are there any resources out there that will give me an accurate up to date guide on 1911 sights?

Can I trust my local gun shop to install a set of sights on my TRP or should I send it out to a reputable 1911 smith?

Any sight suggestions especially if you’re rocking em on a TRP? I usually throw Trijicon HDs on my glocks but not a huge fan of the three green dot combo in low or no light so I may look into the heine straight 8.

Thanks for any input!
    "Guns attract retards like moths to a porch light."-markm

Feedback Score

1911 sights

Well I’m a huge fan of Dawson’s FO front and 10-8 rear......

I have a spare set.....I planned or putting them on my old TRP before I sold it.....but he wanted Night sights....

I run this same combo on my Ed Brown.

My Costa is close with a Heinie rear...personally I like the U shape rear notch of the 10-8.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AC45ACP; 08-13-18 at 14:11.
    Ed Brown SF / SF Carry
    LWRC 10.5 / DSA SA58 Para Carbine
    Plus one or two more....maybe
    DPS/BCI/NRA Certified Firearms Instructor.
    http://defensiveimpact.com

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I love fiber optic front sights.. handgun is going to hang on the nightstand so I would feel better having nightsights.

Are you willing to sell me that rear sight though? I also like U notches. Whoops never mind thought it was the one with tritium insert.
    Last edited by Quinn; 08-13-18 at 14:23. Reason: Addendum

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    I love fiber optic front sights.. handgun is going to hang on the nightstand so I would feel better having nightsights.

Are you willing to sell me that rear sight though? I also like U notches. Whoops never mind thought it was the one with tritium insert.
    Well I’d like to sell the set if I was gonna sell.......where are you located?
    Because I install sights.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ed Brown SF / SF Carry
    LWRC 10.5 / DSA SA58 Para Carbine
    Plus one or two more....maybe
    DPS/BCI/NRA Certified Firearms Instructor.
    http://defensiveimpact.com

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Currently living in New Jersey..

Where are you.. what’s your turn around time like?
    Last edited by Quinn; 08-13-18 at 14:57.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If yours has an adjustable rear, it's an LPA cut. The front is Springfield.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    If it's the railed TRP with the adjustable rear, it's a LPA cut and Harrison Design makes a fixed sight to replace it. I'm using his rear sight on my TRP and a couple of Range Officers. It comes in a variety of square, U notch, 1, 2 dot tritium and plain black.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Thanks for all the replies!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    Just an fyi, anytime light is introduced in darkness (i.e. flashlight or weapon mounted light) night sights wash out and turn into plain black sights. For a gun that wears a light or is meant for night duty, fiber optic would be better imo. They react to the light and are easy to spot/align. In other words, night sights are only effective in low light or with no other light source.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Interesting. Gun will be wearing an x300. Maybe I’ll rethink those fibre optics. Truth be told I have no experience shooting in low or no light so thanks for the enlightenment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast