Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 13" ALG EMRv3 vs BCM MCMR-13 vs Geissele Mk8 rigidity?

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

13" ALG EMRv3 vs BCM MCMR-13 vs Geissele Mk8 rigidity?

Which one of these is going to be the most rigid? As in, a better host for lasers, iron sights, etc? Which will be the least?

I'm going to replace an ALG EMRv2 since I prefer more top rail, and I have a BCM MCMR-13 inbound and a Geissele Mk8 on the shelf. My go to rifle has an ALG EMRv3, but I'm not tied to any one set up. They all seem to end up pretty close once I throw a RDS on them.

RDS or not, I often turn it off and practice with irons. That coupled with the fact I'd like a night vision setup at some point has me curious about rigidity, maintaining zero, etc.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have very little experience with the ALG rails, but own the MCMR-13 and several variations of Geissele rails including the Mk8. I’d have to go with the Mk8 in rigidity if worried about deflection using IR. The Mk8 isn’t the most ergonomic rail though, I’d look at the Mk14 to be honest or try to find a Hodge Wedgelock or wait for the P-lok to be released.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I have no experience with the MCMR but owned a bunch of KMR's. I currently own an ALG EMR V2 and the MK8.

The MK8 barrel nut is a beast and the rail is bomb proof. Hands down the strongest of the bunch. The ALG barrel nut is pretty robust as well and I use that rifle for PCC, so its gets banged around a lot and my irons have never lost zero. Out of all 3 the BCM has the most flex (i.e. if trying to push rail towards barrel) but it's never failed so I can't really hate on it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have a BCM KMR on one of my carbines and my wife has the ALG EMR-V2. I installed both. The barrel nut on the ALG feel much more robust and sturdy than the KMR. The ALG rail itself is more rigid and seems to handle bumps better regarding flex. Woth that said my KMR is an original, not the Alpha model.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I've been thinking about saving the Mk8 for a stout 16" precision barrel. To be honest, ergonomics aren't always my first consideration. When I come off of a rotation of rifle training using quad rail equipped rifles, smaller handguards almost seem small and some of the very small handguards almost too small. It's a weird thing. I'll have to take a look at the Mk14. Who makes the P-Lok?
    Last edited by opngrnd; 08-13-18 at 20:52. Reason: Added question.

Feedback Score
    Have you considered a urx4?
    Seems to be quite rigid. Can amyone comment on how it fairs compared to mk8 in terms of rigidity?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    I've been thinking about saving the Mk8 for a stout 16" precision barrel. To be honest, ergonomics aren't always my first consideration. When I come off of a rotation of rifle training using quad rail equipped rifles, smaller handguards almost seem small and some of the very small handguards almost too small. It's a weird thing. I'll have to take a look at the Mk14. Who makes the P-Lok?
    Hodge, it should be released soon. FN is using that design in their newer FN-15’s.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I have or have had the following hand guards:
    15" G MK4
    13" KMR
    12" ALG V3
    10 3/4" URX4
    10 3/4" Hodge Wedgelok

URX is the most rigid of the handguards I've used, though the G MK4 and ALG are also very rigid. Wedgelock about the same as the Geissele and ALG. BCM is the "whipiest" of the five. It's not as noticeable on a BCM 10" handguard, but the short barrel nut allows for a fair amount of flex at 13"+. URX is incredibly rigid and has good feel in my hand. Someday I'll equip every rifle I have with a MLOK URX4!

My $.02 of experience.

NC

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I went from an MCMR to a MK14. The MK14 is a lot more rigid than the MCMR. The MK13/14 is supposed to be stiffer than the MK8.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Both ALG and the true blue Gieselle rails should be super stiff. I own one of the original ALG rails and its a beast of a tube. The BCM kit is also pretty well designed.

I really dont understand whats with this: "only one rail is good for NVG's" sauce that has been going around the net lately. When I was in we has the regular KAC RAS rails and they only had issues when the locking nut got loose. It's definetely a MUCH worse design than anything made today, and yet worked fine enough for governemnt work for millions of GWOT dudes.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast