Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 13" ALG EMRv3 vs BCM MCMR-13 vs Geissele Mk8 rigidity?

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    Both ALG and the true blue Gieselle rails should be super stiff. I own one of the original ALG rails and its a beast of a tube. The BCM kit is also pretty well designed.

I really dont understand whats with this: "only one rail is good for NVG's" sauce that has been going around the net lately. When I was in we has the regular KAC RAS rails and they only had issues when the locking nut got loose. It's definetely a MUCH worse design than anything made today, and yet worked fine enough for governemnt work for millions of GWOT dudes.
    I'm definitely not drinking the "sauce", but interested in how some rails compare to others. Apart from rails on issued equipment, the ALG is the only rail I have much experience with. My SPR wears a 15" Mk8, but it's not a very good comparison to my LW build that has a barrel weighing 50% less.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    I sure would like to see Bill Gieselle release different lengths of the MK16 handguards for the 11.5", 12.5" and 14.5" inch barrels at some point in the near future. IMHO, it is currently the best *overall* handguard available. I would also like to see BCM add an extra inch to the length of the KMR handguard's barrel nut. I would easily trade a little weight gain for more rigidity. The Hodge Defense Wedge-lok rails are also some of the most rigid handguards out there. Other than being more complex and more time consuming to install and to remove the URX4 is also a fine and very rigid handguard. Personally I am not a fan of or do I trust the pinch or clamp type mounting system that is on most of the hanguards out there for hard use to retain zero, no matter whose name is on it. To many they *may* be good enough, but IMHO, there are better attachment methods out there. And as always YMMV.
    Last edited by Biggy; 08-15-18 at 11:36.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    I sure would like to see Bill Gieselle release different lengths of the MK16 handguards for the 11.5", 12.5" and 14.5" inch barrels at some point in the near future. IMHO, it is currently the best *overall* handguard available. I would also like to see BCM add an extra inch to the length of the KMR handguard's barrel nut. I would easily trade a little weight gain for more rigidity. The Hodge Defense Wedge-lok rails are also some of the most rigid handguards out there. Other than being a more complex and more time consuming to install and to remove the URX4 is also a fine and very rigid handguard. I personally do not trust any of the pinch type hanguards out threre, no matter whose name is on it. To many they *may* be good enough, but IMHO, there are better attachment methods out there. And as always YMMV.
    What is defined as "pinch type"?

Feedback Score
    I have SLR rails which are great.

Consensus will likely be Geissele and the newer MLok BCM which has always had a great locking system.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I think with today’s tech, you will be hard pressed to find anything with Geiselle’s durability. They aren’t as comfortable TO ME, as some of the thinner, smooth rails. But, on my “ride or die” Noveske Afghan with my ATACT 1-8, you’ll find a Geiselle MK4 13” DDC rail. This is because I have ZERO concerns with it flexing, shifting, moving at all.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    As the proud new owner of a 13" BCM MCMR rail, I'll ask the DUMB question.

If the the optic is mounted on the upper receiver, what is the fear of rail flex - aside from the obvious (OVERflex = breakage)?
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I think this would involve alternative aiming devices such as lasers or even backup iron sights.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Just a personal update as the OP: I really like the Mk14 rail. For my use, I found it to be the right profile and width. The BCM feels a hair small in my hand, though I might feel differently if I actually mounted it and took it to the range. I ended up trading the BCM 13" MCMR for a Geissele 13" Mk8 for a different project, and went with a Mk14 on my Optimum barreled primary.

War Wagon-I don't know that there's much of an issue if you don't depend on rail mounted laser aiming devices.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    I sure would like to see Bill Gieselle release different lengths of the MK16 handguards for the 11.5", 12.5" and 14.5" inch barrels at some point in the near future. IMHO, it is currently the best *overall* handguard available.
    Eh, I wouldn't go that far. If you want a thin and light there are thinner and lighter. If you want a bombproof lockup and rigid tube for mounting aiming devices there are better options, some of which are lighter. Aside from cool guy cred from USASOC, the MK16 is a nearly 15oz tube with a reputation for drop damage and extreme MOA shift. Depending on your priorities, it's solid midpack option at best IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    For example, the BCM rail and the MI Combat Rail (there are others) in that the tube is slipped over the barrel nut and then the tube is literally pinched tight around the nut without a fastener connection shared between the barrel nut and handguard tube. Conversely, on the samples I've installed, the ALG has both a friction fit (tight nut/tube interface) and 6 fasteners securing the rail to the nut. For the rail to turn, it would have to break free the barrel nut torque (or add to it) and then shear off the anti-rot tabs to move even further. On the "pinch" design, it is possible for the rail to shift or turn without also turning the barrel nut, anti-rot tabs notwithstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    What is defined as "pinch type"?
    Also, "pinch" sounds wimpy. I believe the industry would use the word "clamp" instead.
    Last edited by tehpwnag3; 08-28-19 at 10:54.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast