Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What length handguards and why?

Feedback Score

What length handguards and why?

It seems many manufacturers vary on what lengths they produce handguards in. What are the most popular sizes and why (as in what configurations would require certain lengths), also what is everyones favorite length to use on 16" barrels?
    Bonesteel Arms. When "good enough" isn't good enough

Feedback Score
    I like my Troy Alpha 13" on a 16" middy. They make a quad rail called the Bravo too. Sorry for the poor pic.

P.S. you get 10% off at troyind.com if you use the promo code: nutnfancy. Picked my rail up for $170.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    This might help.

Feedback Score
    I like as long as will fit on the barrel and still allow a silencer, ussially 1” less than barrel length. Once I get to 12” I dont really notice a difference, longer might be more comfortable but doesnt seem to affect performance for me.

Its going to depend on how you hold your rifle, your body/arm size/length, and what you have mounted on your rail that is in front of your offhands.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nothing more than personal preference. Never seen one shorter but I have seen some that are 1/8" to over 1/2" longer than advertised. Just a heads up if you're looking for a precise fit. Sometimes it will state the actual length in the details and sometimes not. You can always contact the seller / manufacturer or a forum member if you need to be 100% certain.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I really only like a lot of length if I'm running a Bipod. 10 inch rails get me everything I need for light/sling mount on most guns. I do have a few long rails, but I could live with shorter.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I find I use all of a 13.5” rail and it is the length I have most of. I like it’s flexability in that it works with 14.5” barrels too.

Many pic rails only goto 12”, this is enough for me. Typically my weapon light will protrude past the end of the rail though.

You can’t really have too long a rail imo. The only down side it’s added weight.

Feedback Score
    I personally prefer a 13.5" rail for a 14.5 or 16" gun because it gives you plenty of room for arm extension and adding accessories without feeling cramped. Especially now that lightweight keymod and mlok rails are so prevalent, you don't add a ton of weight when going longer on the rail. I do think a 15" rail is nice if you are doing a precision build where you will be running a bipod, to give you a little more extension, but i don't feel like i gain much else in going with a 15" rail over 13.5".

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    15" on 16" barrels for me. Remember the old saying... Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Like the other guy said.. On today's KM/ML rails you don't pay a big weight penalty for going long.

Feedback Score
    for 14.5 or 16" barrels, I prefer the 13" handguards. I actually swapped a 15" rail for a 13" rail because I preferred it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast