Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primer Induced Jamb

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)

Primer Induced Jamb

Had a 5.56 SPR type gun lock bolt back with rds. still in mag last week.
    Could NOT drop bolt, so brought it home to diagnose.
    Finally dropped bolt by mortaring on muzzle.
    Opened gun up and found an effing primer in works.
    Ammo was IMI 77 gr Razor Core, which to my knowledge HAS staked primers.

New one for me.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    It happens. There is no good place for a popped primer to be in an AR. They magically find the worst places to hide too.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Back when my department had a bunch of Bushmasters as duty guns, we had a training day where we were shooting a bunch of M193 borrowed from DPS. The crappy Bushmaster chambers, hot day, and high shooting schedule resulted in multiple primers popping out. I ended up with one down in my trigger which killed the trigger after it happened. Not fun. The day we turned in those Bushmasters for new Colt 6920s was one of the best days of my career.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    It happens. There is no good place for a popped primer to be in an AR. They magically find the worst places to hide too.
    Truth on the internet! I’ve had three popped in my SBR...all have been a PIA. One required removal of the receiver extension and the use of a mallet. It was IMI M193. Other two have been with CBC 556 62 gr. All came running suppressed.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightchief View Post
    Truth on the internet! I’ve had three popped in my SBR...all have been a PIA. One required removal of the receiver extension and the use of a mallet. It was IMI M193. Other two have been with CBC 556 62 gr. All came running suppressed.
    (:
    Removing castle nut and buffer tube was my “plan D”.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    (:
    Removing castle nut and buffer tube was my “plan D”.
    This is exactly what I had to resort to recently with one of my SBRs- the BCG was stuck inside of the buffer tube. The gun was hot and filthy, the ammo was 24.5 gr TAC with a 55 gr Hornady and Federal 205’s.

Feedback Score
    The only primer related malfunction I experienced was slightly different. It was with either LMT MWS or Larue OBR. Years ago, I was shooting 175 grain match ammo when I felt strange recoil and found that the gun chambered a new round, but the extractor wouldn't grab the rim of the casing. It turned out the primer blew out of the previous case and got stuck inside the barrel extension keeping the gun out of battery.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Had a 5.56 SPR type gun lock bolt back with rds. still in mag last week.
    Could NOT drop bolt, so brought it home to diagnose.
    Finally dropped bolt by mortaring on muzzle.
    Opened gun up and found an effing primer in works.
    Ammo was IMI 77 gr Razor Core, which to my knowledge HAS staked primers.

New one for me.

It happens, though thankfully not all that often. It is one of the main reasons we work transition drills with our students / officers.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    I have seen or had them found under the trigger, a relatively easy clearing, but the worst possible: A primer that found it's way into the carrier key! Shut that rifle down. A small 1/16th inch drill once on the bench cleared it surprisingly easily however.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/mark_twain_386139

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The only one I have had required removing the entire trigger to clear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast