Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: White light placement when running MAWL?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Ok. Some prefer to maintain thumb over bore. If you don’t, rock on.
    Can’t I still maintain thumb over bore if the TAPS is at 12 o’clock? Which would also facilitate ambi use if needed?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I personally have my mawl at 1:30 and scout light at 10:30. I can activate both mawl buttons and the light with my left thumb.

I don't see the point in adding a taps or dual surefire switch right behind the mawl on the top rail. Sure, you gain ambi, but you lose half the functionality of the mawl since the two switches do different things. You also lose a lot of top rail space, and the taps ends up fairly far back.

I hate remote switches and wires. The 1:30/10:30 setup with mawl/scout is super clean, minimal, and has less failure points.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    I personally have my mawl at 1:30 and scout light at 10:30. I can activate both mawl buttons and the light with my left thumb.

I don't see the point in adding a taps or dual surefire switch right behind the mawl on the top rail. Sure, you gain ambi, but you lose half the functionality of the mawl since the two switches do different things. You also lose a lot of top rail space, and the taps ends up fairly far back.

I hate remote switches and wires. The 1:30/10:30 setup with mawl/scout is super clean, minimal, and has less failure points.
    This. This is what I’ve always wanted to do. I’ve just always been worried about quick on/off light activation if I have to use a tail cap.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

My preferred method also I just need to find a light mount that is a little taller or more offset towards 12:00 so my light can rise above my can.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BallisticHarmony View Post
    This. This is what I’ve always wanted to do. I’ve just always been worried about quick on/off light activation if I have to use a tail cap.
    At least for me, the use of a tailcap switch has always been easier to actuate with my thumb as opposed to squeezing a rail mounted remote switch. If you set up your placement of the light and mawl correctly, then your thumb can go back and forth without altering your grip. You're also less likely to have an illumination ND with this setup as opposed to a dual switch because the mawl switches are completely different than the tailcap on the light, and require different manipulations to activate.

In real world use, you will rarely need to rapidly switch from IR to white light. You use one or the other, not both, because white light will bloom out your nvgs. An assault team is not going to bust down doors and clear rooms with nvgs if they can help it. It's far safer to use nvgs to get into position, then flip them up and go white light. Even with panos your peripheral vision is compromised, along with the inability to quickly adjust focus.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    At least for me, the use of a tailcap switch has always been easier to actuate with my thumb as opposed to squeezing a rail mounted remote switch. If you set up your placement of the light and mawl correctly, then your thumb can go back and forth without altering your grip. You're also less likely to have an illumination ND with this setup as opposed to a dual switch because the mawl switches are completely different than the tailcap on the light, and require different manipulations to activate.

In real world use, you will rarely need to rapidly switch from IR to white light. You use one or the other, not both, because white light will bloom out your nvgs. An assault team is not going to bust down doors and clear rooms with nvgs if they can help it. It's far safer to use nvgs to get into position, then flip them up and go white light. Even with panos your peripheral vision is compromised, along with the inability to quickly adjust focus.
    Didn’t know about that last part, but it makes a lot of sense. So white light is CQB, and IR is for no-light mid to long range?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BallisticHarmony View Post
    Didn’t know about that last part, but it makes a lot of sense. So white light is CQB, and IR is for no-light mid to long range?
    Not necessarily. You can absolute dedicate to IR for CQB environments. Hence why in the other thread I touched on running BNVDs, eotech, and IR scout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Here is how I run mine.

https://imgur.com/a/Oc5kjPs

I can active both the light and laser with my thumb comfortably. Due to how you make changes to the M.A.W.L.s various options its easier to do everything manually instead of a push tape. I also own a T.A.P.S. and still preferred running it manually just works better for so again this is user preference. Any photos I can supply to help you out let me know. Its a fantastic piece of equipment.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dangrullon87 View Post
    Here is how I run mine.

https://imgur.com/a/Oc5kjPs

I can active both the light and laser with my thumb comfortably. Due to how you make changes to the M.A.W.L.s various options its easier to do everything manually instead of a push tape. I also own a T.A.P.S. and still preferred running it manually just works better for so again this is user preference. Any photos I can supply to help you out let me know. Its a fantastic piece of equipment.
    Thanks, that looks like a great setup. My only question is when you’re running around in low-light conditions and you only want to activate your white light when engaging a target, does using the tailcap button suffice? Do you use momentary or constant on? My fear would be momentary on would be difficult when the rifle is recoiling, and constant would prove difficult to activate quickly and then resume support hand control.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Depends. Light tap is momentary, and a full click is constant. But if im wearing NVG's I stay away from white light all together. Especially indoors. As for shooting and recoil management its very easy to do a suppressed 5.56 ive shot using the momentary on while shooting and never had the light go into constant or move my thumb due to recoil.
    Last edited by dangrullon87; 09-12-18 at 15:22.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast