Thread: Anyone shot the same platform suppressed in different calibers?

Feedback Score

Anyone shot the same platform suppressed in different calibers?

Let's say I've got three ARs with 16" barrels and the same suppressor, each chambered in/shooting:

Supersonic 7.62 NATO
    Supersonic 5.56 NATO
    Supersonic .300 Blackout

Theoretically, the 140db sonic crack should be the loudest noise and each rifle should sound almost identical to the observer and the shooter. Based on your experience, is that actually true?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    No... different charge loads = different pressures

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokin338 View Post
    No... different charge loads = different pressures
    Agreed. Big Bores have more thump from the observer's position behind or to the side. In front of the gun, it's all loud because the super sonic crack is really loud.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I’ve shot similar bolt action rifles but different calibers with same or similar cans and wondered why they sound differently. Then I realized that it seems like projectile size and velocity matter, and the larger (or faster) projectiles seem to have a louder sonic crack. I’m not a rocket scientist but it hit me that planes have a much louder sonic crack than a tiny bullet so I figure I’m right, that size matters. Also, as you probably know, location and surfaces around the sonic crack make a huge difference. Lastly, my results aren’t scientific and I could be completely wrong.