Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Judge in Manfort case threatened?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    I read one of the jury's questions regarding FBAR requirements. I prepare FBAR's for clients and have done so for over a decade. Their question doesn't have a black-and-white answer that I know of. For those who know the question, I think what's described would constitute "other authority" therefore triggering the requirement, but from what little I've heard of the facts it isn't crystal clear, and that means.... reasonable doubt.

From your post I believe you are a lawyer, please explain to this oldMan the Judges statement "only doubt based on reason." What the frig does that mean? !!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by platoonDaddy View Post
    From your post I believe you are a lawyer, please explain to this oldMan the Judges statement "only doubt based on reason." What the frig does that mean? !!
    I am a lawyer, I don't do any trial work. Do you have a copy of exactly what the judge said? I hadn't read about an issue on defining reasonableness.

On a different note, I can't fathom why the jurors were not allowed to take notes, or how a juror who is not already an expert on these areas would be capable of making an intelligent decision without, at the absolute minimum, copious notes.

I've been working with the FBAR for 15+ years and if I was asked by a client anything that was not completely obvious, I would first refer back to the written form and its written instructions. It's impractical to memorize every last word and comma in tax forms* when the answer matters, and many forms are changed every 1-2 years. Why would someone be forced to rely on memory when a potential life sentence is at stake?

*strictly speaking the FBAR is not a tax form and is not enforced by the IRS, but it is similar to tax forms and generally prepared by the same people in the same work process as actual tax forms.

Feedback Score
    F(U)BAR
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12