Thread: Two quick questions

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Two quick questions

Can anyone tell me exactly how much rail space the Daniel Defense fixed front sight uses? Tried contacting DD but haven't heard back. Currently waiting for the stamp for my MK18 and trying to decide which front sight to go with. Its either the DD or the Scalarworks (unless someone can recommend one with an even smaller footprint?). The Scalarworks fixed front sight uses 1.37" of rail space so wondering if the DD uses more or less. Thanks.

Also, will be running the MK18 with an AAC SR-5 suppressor (my first can) so will be changing out the milspec charging handle. BCM charging handle or the PRI Gas Buster? I know the BCM has the raised ledge while the PRI uses a channel to redirect the gas. Just wondering which one is more effective? Thanks again, much appreciated.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Google for the win.

DD sights:

Weight: 2.86 oz /81 g (set)
    Front Height: 1.67 in / 42.5 mm
    Front Length: 1 in / 25.5 mm
    Rear Height: 1.50 in / 38 mm
    Rear Length: 1.38 in / 35 mm
    Sight Adjustment:
    Front: Elevation; A2 style front post tool
    Rear: Dual aperture. Windage; Bullet tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Scalarworks on 18" with switchblock and SR-5 AAC.

Sorry I didn't have a picture of it on my 11.5".

You will really love the tone of the SR-5 it is a very good silencer. Heavy SOB though!

Don't sweat the charging handle until you have fired your assembly. I feel the latch is way more important than the small amount of gas that finds it's way back at ya.
    Last edited by 308sako; 08-26-18 at 22:43. Reason: charging handle comment
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/mark_twain_386139

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    With the DD fixed front sight mounted as far forward as you can get it on the DD Mk 18 rail, there is a small amount of space on the rail ahead of the sight. This is due to the cross-bolt location on the sight. It does not quite fit flush on the front of the rail, as if they are not made for each other.

The Troy fixed front sight fits perfectly.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    The fixed DD front sight covers three rail slots. I am running a RailScales PEQ-LEAF in front of my PEQ15 on my MK18ish clone and is occupies a single slot and sits flush with the end of the rail. It is expensive, but worth it if you value rail space and want/need a front sight. The other option would be the Unity Tactical Micro Hub with one of their front sights.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JulyAZ View Post
    Google for the win.

DD sights:

Weight: 2.86 oz /81 g (set)
    Front Height: 1.67 in / 42.5 mm
    Front Length: 1 in / 25.5 mm
    Rear Height: 1.50 in / 38 mm
    Rear Length: 1.38 in / 35 mm
    Sight Adjustment:
    Front: Elevation; A2 style front post tool
    Rear: Dual aperture. Windage; Bullet tip.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by 308sako View Post

Sorry I didn't have a picture of it on my 11.5".

You will really love the tone of the SR-5 it is a very good silencer. Heavy SOB though!
    Awesome. I fondled the SR-5 a bit when it arrived at my local gun shop and yeah I was a little surprised at how heavy it felt.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    With the DD fixed front sight mounted as far forward as you can get it on the DD Mk 18 rail, there is a small amount of space on the rail ahead of the sight. This is due to the cross-bolt location on the sight. It does not quite fit flush on the front of the rail, as if they are not made for each other.

Good intel, thanks. The Troy fixed front looks like the one to get.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post

Hmm, doing a little research I found this.... https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=218112

He found the opposite to be true; that the Daniel Defense sits closer to the end of the rail rather than the Troy...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Two quick questions

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyt16 View Post
    Hmm, doing a little research I found this.... https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=218112

He found the opposite to be true; that the Daniel Defense sits closer to the end of the rail rather than the Troy...
    That’s not a RIS II, here’s the RIS II with a DD sight as far forward without it hanging over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by JulyAZ; 08-27-18 at 21:11.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JulyAZ View Post
    That’s not a RIS II, here’s the RIS II with a DD sight as far forward without it hanging over
    Good to know thanks again and yeah I realized right after I posted that the different handguard would make a difference.

By the way JulyAZ, if you happen to have any extra Surefire ladder rail covers laying around I'd be more than happy to buy them from you!