Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any of you ever cooked "sous vide" style?

Feedback Score

Any of you ever cooked "sous vide" style?

Heard good things about it from a couple friends who were at a party where the hosts had done some sort of buffalo chicken that way and it was delicious. I bought an Anova one. It came with a little booklet with basic meat type/doneness/temp/time directions but that's about it.

Anyone have some good ideas they've tried sous vide?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Ohh yeah.

Pretty much everything that goes on the grill can be done sous vide first.

Its great for steaks and such, especially if you're hosting a party when the "eating time" is determined by how everyone is feeling.

The theory is to control the temperature precisely, and then the time is not critical.

1-4 hours for a steak at 132 degrees, for example, produce around the same results, very nice, fully cooked rare.

The level of cooking (rare, medium, well) is almost completely dependent on the set temperature.

When that's all done, you just sear over medium high heat, about 2-3 minutes per side to keep it medium rare inside and crispy outside.

Leave it on a little longer if somebody wants it well done.

Also, grilling with hardwood charcoal on a egg style grill is a another whole dimension of awesome.
    Last edited by Clint; 08-18-18 at 15:07.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Heard good things about it from a couple friends who were at a party where the hosts had done some sort of buffalo chicken that way and it was delicious. I bought an Anova one. It came with a little booklet with basic meat type/doneness/temp/time directions but that's about it.

Anyone have some good ideas they've tried sous vide?
    I think Hmac is a big sous vide practicioner/fan.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    What is the threat of botulism? I was interested in it, but read something about that? Or is that only an issue if you are pre-cooking and freezing or storing?
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    What is the threat of botulism? I was interested in it, but read something about that? Or is that only an issue if you are pre-cooking and freezing or storing?
    It's a non-issue.. Clostridium botulinum dies around 126 F.. so make sure you cook at a minimum of 130 (lowest most sous vide systems go usually). Most other dangerous organisms kick off at around 135F so you could choose that as your personal minimum as well. What you don't want to do is cook it and leave it in the bag for hours after it's done cooking. Either freeze it or eat it.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I read somewhere on a sous vide support forum that most if not all dishes can be cooked at lower than standard temperatures and be totally safe. For example, chicken, fish and eggs can be safely prepped at a temp that is well below the accepted minimum safe handling temps but be risk free, with the bonus of having very delicate texture due to the low temp/long cooking time.
    Not sure how that translates into the pre-cooking and/storage aspect outside of the routine safe handling procedures for sterilzation and proper storage methods.
    I'm looking at the Chef Steps device as my entry into the trend, in part because of social media presence they have. Tons of community support and documentation there, so you might find what you are looking for by joining their group.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You can pasteurize with longer times at lower temps. Most sous vide doesn't involve anything this complicated.

Thick steaks is where it really rocks. I prefer a cast iron skillet to finish.

Chicken or turkey breast is great. Throw some herbs and garlic in the bag. Once you make it you will recognize how often you get sous vide chicken at a restaurant.

Carrots are my favorite so far. I was never a big fan of cooked carrots, but now I can cook them with no chance of getting mushy.

I have a $15 temp controller powering a crockpot.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    I do tons of sous vide cooking. On a weekly basis actually. I use the Joule and mainly do proteins, but have cooked vegetables which come out nicely done too. The Chef Steps app is very easy to use and their times and temps are spot on in my experience. I've only had one sous vide disappointment - ribs. I prefer ribs cooked traditionally on the BBQ.

I'm eager to get a second unit. Just waiting for the next sale.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    https://polyscienceculinary.com/blog...s-vide-cooking

Anymore data driven discussion of the safety and process pathway.

Are the tech companies trying to passivize us? I’ve been getting sous vide videos in my YouTube suggestions for days now...
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    You can pasteurize with longer times at lower temps. Most sous vide doesn't involve anything this complicated.

Thick steaks is where it really rocks. I prefer a cast iron skillet to finish.

Chicken or turkey breast is great. Throw some herbs and garlic in the bag. Once you make it you will recognize how often you get sous vide chicken at a restaurant.

Carrots are my favorite so far. I was never a big fan of cooked carrots, but now I can cook them with no chance of getting mushy.

I have a $15 temp controller powering a crockpot.
    I found a blog where a guy took a garage sale rice cooker and did something similar. Less than $20 for parts, including the cooker. A bit of know how and the willingness to tinker is all it takes.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast