Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vickers Sling on Shotgun

Feedback Score
    Brownells has the dummy shells available for order - great for function testing and working on loading and select-slug drills. As always, keep loaded ammo away and don't muzzle anything you are not prepared to destroy.

The stock shortening andd swivel mod write-up should be done soon. Don't use the Uncle Mike's flush cup. It's not threaded but grooved and depends entirely on the bond strengh of the epoxy for retention. Grovtech sells the cups but I think there was a minimum quantity required. I just called McMillan and ordered the cups. I believe they are also the OEM manufacturer of many of the heavy-duty quick-detach sling swivels.

I belive these are the Grovtech catalog numbers:

720251 – cups
    11902125H – 1 1/4” QD/PB swivel

The key with the flush cup installation is using a suitable stock. The Speefeed solid-stock was perfect for this application, being at least twice as thick as the other stocks. Nothing is hollow here except for the bolt tunnel and a portion of the buttpad area. Most other stocks are comparatively thin and hollow through out, requiring alot of filler material. This is the closest thing to getting a solid wood stock on a shotgun, without the disadvantages.

Dave.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishdave View Post
    Brownells has the dummy shells available for order - great for function testing and working on loading and select-slug drills. As always, keep loaded ammo away and don't muzzle anything you are not prepared to destroy.

The stock shortening andd swivel mod write-up should be done soon. Don't use the Uncle Mike's flush cup. It's not threaded but grooved and depends entirely on the bond strengh of the epoxy for retention. Grovtech sells the cups but I think there was a minimum quantity required. I just called McMillan and ordered the cups. I believe they are also the OEM manufacturer of many of the heavy-duty quick-detach sling swivels.

I belive these are the Grovtech catalog numbers:

720251 – cups
    11902125H – 1 1/4” QD/PB swivel

The key with the flush cup installation is using a suitable stock. The Speefeed solid-stock was perfect for this application, being at least twice as thick as the other stocks. Nothing is hollow here except for the bolt tunnel and a portion of the buttpad area. Most other stocks are comparatively thin and hollow through out, requiring alot of filler material. This is the closest thing to getting a solid wood stock on a shotgun, without the disadvantages.

Dave.
    Im confused. According to McMillan, they use and sell Michaels of Oregon swivels and cups, and according to the GrovTec site, their cups are grooved, not threaded.

Feedback Score
    FlyFishDave,

Any contact between your jaw and your custom swivel/cup with that stock? I've got a very short Hogue Bantam I may try this on for my 14-in. 870. I've got a pretty big head and jaw...
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. " _ Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Marking for later reading...
    NOT in training for combat deployment.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by patrol120 View Post
    Im confused. According to McMillan, they use and sell Michaels of Oregon swivels and cups, and according to the GrovTec site, their cups are grooved, not threaded.
    The cups listed on the Grovtec website/2009 catalog are the non-threaded type, meant for use with epoxy. The ones that McMillan uses and Grovtec sells (not listed) are as heavy duty as you can get. They are threaded and require the use of a big hex key to screw in.

The cups listed on the McM are incorrectly described - those are definitely the threaded Grovtecs. Tracy at McM told me they used to use a Michaels product but have switched to these. Just give McM a call and they can verify that you'll be getting the same HD cups used in their stocks. You'll actually need a large diameter drill or end mill to get the stock prepped to accept this flush cup.

Dan,

I too have a large noggin, wear an XXL baseball cap (one size fits all does not fit my head) and was worried about the sling position on the stock, rubbing against my face/jaw/chin. Ideally, I would have liked the flush cup centered, but given the cup's size, I was worried that I would perforate the hollow section used for the stock bolt. Given the dimensions of my stock cut, I went as close as possible to the center. In the end, it all worked out great, being no different than using the sling adaptor from Specter or The Wilderness. You can always place a dab of some water-soluble kiddy paint on the stock where you intend to mount the flush cup - then mount and shoulder the shotty as you would normally do and see if you get a blob of paint on your cheek.

Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    I just added a VTAC padded sling to my Mossy 590 Marine.
    http://www.vikingtactics.com/prod_sl...AC-MK1-a.html#

The Mossy wears a Knoxx SpecOps stock, so the attachment is exactly the same as my carbine.
    Works for me.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by patrol120 View Post
    Any chance youve done a write up on the rear swivel installation? I have been unable to find the GroveTec swivel, but did find a comparable item from Uncle Mikes, wonder if that would be adequate?
    +1 I would love to see a how-to for this.

Feedback Score
    Up from the depths hoping for a description of the side mounted QD cup installation.

Feedback Score

Thanks

Thanks, waiting for the writeup on how to install the QD.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK View Post
    That (or at least the same type) is what I use on my 870s and AKs. It works well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast