Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Magtech 77 OTM the same as IMI 77

Feedback Score

Is Magtech 77 OTM the same as IMI 77

Sorry, hearing different things. Is the Magtech 77 SMK OTM (MK262 clone) in the green box the same bullet as the IMI 77 SMK OTM LR MOD1 Razorcore?
    I know they both say SMK, but in gel they seem to expand/fragment differently. I feel like the IMI is a different bullet.

Is the CBC magtech 77 SMK a good defense round for a 10.3" barrel? and anyone have velocities for that barrel length?

Thank you
    Last edited by backpacker; 08-19-18 at 15:18.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I have not had the same accuracy from the magtech as I have from the imi. In fact, I have stopped buying the 77 grain magtech as it just doesn't shoot as well through my rifles.

However, with that being said, I would not recommend mk262 from a 10.5in barrel anyways. You want a 55 grain or 62 grain gold dot or hornady tap round. Basically some sort of soft point with a lower velocity expansion threshold and as much speed as you can coax from that short barrel. Rule of thumb for me is 12.5in barrels and longer get 62 grain and up and 11.5in barrels and shorter get 64 grain and down with sbr specific designed soft points. The 262 will have unreliable expansion from a 10.5 barrel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’ve been curious about IMI 77 grain, but everytime I google it I find threads on TOS complaining about popped primers. Anybody here shooting it out of a 5.56 chamber? Or a Noveske match or .223 Wylde chamber?
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Furbyballer View Post
    The 262 will have unreliable expansion from a 10.5 barrel.
    262 is ideal out of short barrels. That's one of it's great characteristics. And 262 doesn't expand... it fragments. I would never pick a light projo to run out of my 10.5-11.5s.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

There’s another thread going on about MK262 and it’s military usage right now, may be worth checking out though it’s more about the BH loading than the clones.

But I always understood that 262 performed well regardless of barrel length. It’s only significant downside is barrier penetration but you trade that off for solid long range performance (from a 5.56 anyways) and bulk pricing/availability due to the clones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    But I always understood that 262 performed well regardless of barrel length. It’s only significant downside is barrier penetration but you trade that off for solid long range performance
    The awesome SBR performance is why I run it. I'm kinda on the fence about the need for barrier penetration for non-Patrol. Is it really necessary? Or is it like having a tourniquet strapped to your civilian plate carrier?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The awesome SBR performance is why I run it. I'm kinda on the fence about the need for barrier penetration for non-Patrol. Is it really necessary? Or is it like having a tourniquet strapped to your civilian plate carrier?
    I have literally zero experience to back this up, but I assume that a round like 262 that lacks barrier penetration could be compensated for in a similar manner as shooting a pistol round through a windshield - put several rounds on target and the barrier won’t matter as much.

Again, that’s pure speculation on my part. Either way though, I just don’t foresee having to shoot through barriers too much. Bad guys with body armor is still pretty rare, and at least for me, I can’t drive around with a loaded AR in the car so the chances that I’ll have to shoot through a vehicle is pretty low.

I do not think it’s at all unnecessary to have tourniquets everywhere though, including on a civilian plate carrier. There are all kinds of ways to induce massive hemorrhage on a limb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I just don’t foresee having to shoot through barriers too much. Bad guys with body armor is still pretty rare, and at least for me, I can’t drive around with a loaded AR in the car so the chances that I’ll have to shoot through a vehicle is pretty low.
    That brings up an interesting point. I've never (in my mind) considered soft body armor as a "barrier" like I would auto glass/metal, walls, etc. I can't think of any AR ammo that won't penetrate soft panals, but I wonder if there's any performance difference between a bonded type bullet vs. an OTM.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Furbyballer View Post
    I have not had the same accuracy from the magtech as I have from the imi. In fact, I have stopped buying the 77 grain magtech as it just doesn't shoot as well through my rifles.

However, with that being said, I would not recommend mk262 from a 10.5in barrel anyways. You want a 55 grain or 62 grain gold dot or hornady tap round. Basically some sort of soft point with a lower velocity expansion threshold and as much speed as you can coax from that short barrel. Rule of thumb for me is 12.5in barrels and longer get 62 grain and up and 11.5in barrels and shorter get 64 grain and down with sbr specific designed soft points. The 262 will have unreliable expansion from a 10.5 barrel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I’ve chrono’d both the CBC and IMI 77 gr.
    The CBC had velocity spreads of 100 FPS, the IMI was <50 FPS.
    The rate of “fliers” has been (understandably) much greater with CBC.
    I use it for 300 yds and in ammo.
    The IMI has been OK to 600 on full size IPSC steel- A/C zone.

The BHs is better yet.

You get what you pay for.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I’ve chrono’d both the CBC and IMI 77 gr.
    The CBC had velocity spreads of 100 FPS, the IMI was <50 FPS.
    The rate of “fliers” has been (understandably) much greater with CBC.
    I use it for 300 yds and in ammo.
    The IMI has been OK to 600 on full size IPSC steel- A/C zone.

The BHs is better yet.

You get what you pay for.
    Any pressure signs? Does your rifle have a true .556 chamber?
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast