3 10.34%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 14.5" with a nod toward accuracy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

14.5" with a nod toward accuracy

Building a 14.5" (will pin and weld FH) and want a barrel with an emphasis on accuracy that is light enough to move with (not a bench gun). For use of 50-400 yds., with most at 100-200. Will wear a 1-6 type optic. Kinda torn between a proven stainless and a quality, chrome-lined that is very accurate and will last much longer.

Post recommendations

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by No Bananas View Post
    Building a 14.5" (will pin and weld FH) and want a barrel with an emphasis on accuracy that is light enough to move with (not a bench gun). For use of 50-400 yds., with most at 100-200. Will wear a 1-6 type optic. Kinda torn between a proven stainless and a quality, chrome-lined that is very accurate and will last much longer.

Post recommendations

Colt, BCM, Noveske (both kinds), HK (the real 416's), FN, Centurion (both kinds), V7, Rainier.... of either 14.5 and some 16" flavors, have all gotten me to 400y easily with optics/Geissele trigger and quality ammo...

In trying apples to apples comparison of the SS vs Chrome-lined, it mostly boils down to whether you want to be around 1.5-2.0 MOA with factory ammo or 1.0 to 1.5 with factory ammo.

I still have a mix of both, and decided that if I want to push distance and have an optic with an 8x top end, I go stainless. Everything else is just fine chrome-line (mostly CHF, but it's not mandatory).

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    Colt, BCM, Noveske (both kinds), HK (the real 416's), FN, Centurion (both kinds), V7, Rainier.... of either 14.5 and some 16" flavors, have all gotten me to 400y easily with optics/Geissele trigger and quality ammo...

In trying apples to apples comparison of the SS vs Chrome-lined, it mostly boils down to whether you want to be around 1.5-2.0 MOA with factory ammo or 1.0 to 1.5 with factory ammo.

I still have a mix of both, and decided that if I want to push distance and have an optic with an 8x top end, I go stainless. Everything else is just fine chrome-line (mostly CHF, but it's not mandatory).
    ^Nailed it. The barrel is only going to be part of the equation. Optic, ammo, trigger, and personal ability are a big factor. What's your shooting schedule look like?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I'd add the Colt 14.5" SOCOM to your list. Apparently Grant has the stripped version on sale now for $199.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie2005 View Post
    I'd add the Colt 14.5" SOCOM to your list. Apparently Grant has the stripped version on sale now for $199.
    Yeah...that's a lot of barrel for the money right there. Made 3 or 4 guns with free-floated SOCOM Colts and trimmed FSB's and ALL were shooters. Still have a Gov M4 Colt barrel in the mix that does really well, but the SOCOM was my go-to non-SS barrel before FN got into the game.

Feedback Score
    Unless you need 1moa, Id go with a good CL. Colt and DD have done well in reviews here (see molon’s and trident’s posts).
    My centurion is close to 1 moa with good ammo. i have yet to actually achieve it but have not used great ammo yet, nor practiced much precision shooting.

I have gotten a few 1.3” groups at 100yds with fusion which is good enough for any hunting or defensive scenario I can think of.

Edit - my barrel is their lightweight barrel.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 08-20-18 at 06:46.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    This. Not the expert, but I have had to restrain myself from picking this barrel up. You should buy it so they go out of stock and I can put it out of my mind.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am wanting a gun that'll do 1 MOA or better. I forgot about the Colt SOCOM. Molon had a great test with it, and many have posted sub-MOA with them.
    Last edited by No Bananas; 08-19-18 at 21:08.
    Have Fun, Be Safe

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    Yeah...that's a lot of barrel for the money right there. Made 3 or 4 guns with free-floated SOCOM Colts and trimmed FSB's and ALL were shooters. Still have a Gov M4 Colt barrel in the mix that does really well, but the SOCOM was my go-to non-SS barrel before FN got into the game.
    Yeah, I've had a couple of those barrels with the shaved FSB. My go-to carbine now has the stripped version with a pinned Geissele gas block. Fricking laser beam.

Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    This. Not the expert, but I have had to restrain myself from picking this barrel up. You should buy it so they go out of stock and I can put it out of my mind.
    If I had not just bought a LaRue rifle this year, I'd be all over that barrel.

Feedback Score
    Yes, I've read where the SOCOM barrel is a winner accuracy-wise. Not a sniper/"match" barrel for sure, but the stiffness as compared to a standard M4 profile does provide a decent degree of "combat rifle" accuracy. The ability to maintain a higher rate of fire than it's predecessor is definitely a plus if you needed it.

I have an entire carbine built around a SOCOM barrel from Grant (FSB shaved down by my buddy the gunsmith) and it is roughly a 2.5-3MOA shooter for me shooting Mk318 with an Aimpoint T2 from a sandbag.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 08-19-18 at 21:17.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast