Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10.5 inch .300 blk AR pistol vs 16 inch 5.56 AR

Feedback Score

10.5 inch .300 blk AR pistol vs 16 inch 5.56 AR

Which of these 2 setups would be better for general use/ home defense/ plinking? I really like the .300 BLK and I think its real neat, but are its potential improved terminal ballistics and SBR friendliness worth the 50% more expensive ammo, less available ammo, increased recoil and range reduction over the 5.56 rifle? Also I'm pretty sure I wont have an NFA suppressor for a really long time. This will be my first real long gun and will probably be my only long gun for quite some time. 5.56 has been slaying bodies for the U.S. for quite some time so I guess its still a good round and .300 BLK has been around for 8 years and hasn't really picked up any major contracts with militaries or police.
    Last edited by Skeeter98; 08-20-18 at 08:01.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter98 View Post
    I really like the .300 BLK and I think its real neat, but are its potential improved terminal ballistics and SBR friendliness worth the 50% more expensive ammo, less available ammo, increased recoil and range reduction over the 5.56 rifle?
    You know, I think a CBR600rr is really neat. It’s fun. Chicks like it. It’s sexy. It’s cool to look at.

But when I needed daily transportation I bought a car.

I had an AAC 9” 300BLK. Formed my own brass from 5.56. Had a suppressor. Shot subs that I loaded. It was “neat” as you said, but I no longer have it.

Ammo was expensive - even when handloading. I’m also not really a “gun guy” and didn’t want two rifle calibers to deal with. At 300 yards the bullet’s trajectory was already as round as Moose-Knuckle’s belly. I was never confident with it at 400.

I don’t regret it. Plenty of people will soon reply with “but muh ballistics”, and “subsonic so quiet” and other claims.

Stick with a 5.56mm 16” AR. There is an inherent sexiness to simplicity.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 08-20-18 at 08:07.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Stick with a 16" 5.56 for your first/only general purpose AR.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    16” 556. You can get a lot more trigger time with the same money and skills>gear, and 556 is a great round, especially if you buy decent ammo.

Feedback Score
    I've been going through the same thought process...

Hornady has some good 5.56 SBR ammo, but noise will be an issue, and you won't be plinking with it.

From what I've read, all the goals of a civilian home defense carbine can be achieved with 9MM.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post
    I've been going through the same thought process...

Hornady has some good 5.56 SBR ammo, but noise will be an issue, and you won't be plinking with it.

From what I've read, all the goals of a civilian home defense carbine can be achieved with 9MM.
    Where have you read that?

Feedback Score
    I currently own both a 9" 300Blk pistol and a 16" 5.56 rifle.

If you made me choose, I'd take the 16" 5.56 all day, everyday, and like 4x on Sunday.

I really really like the little .300blk, though. I shoot suppressed, and it's deer legal in it's current configuration in my state. With all that being said, if I could only own a single rifle, it would be a 16" AR in 5.56 because it's just a much more shootable gun from both an ergonomic and economic standpoint for me personally.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I'd go 16" 5.56 without a doubt.

Having a quiet .300 blk round for HD sounds nice until you realize how much it under performs with subs.. and that's really the only upside I think .300 blk has going for it is its db reduction with a can. If you don't own a suppressor then there is no reason to spend more money on a niche round.

Quality 16" rifle in 5.56 loaded with BH 77gr TMK (or similar quality ammo) and a good LPVO/RDS and you've got it covered.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    As another person who owns both, as a general purpose rifle I would also suggest a 16” 5.56. I love my .300 Blackout, but if I did not have 5.56 rifles and/or pistols I would not own a .300 Blackout.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue556 View Post
    Having a quiet .300 blk round for HD sounds nice until you realize how much it under performs with subs.. and that's really the only upside I think .300 blk has going for it is its db reduction with a can. If you don't own a suppressor then there is no reason to spend more money on a niche round.
    Not necessarily. A 300 BLK with a 10.5” barrel and can, shooting supersonic ammo, is about the same overall length and more powerful at close range than a 16” 5.56, but in a much quieter package.

Having said that, I’d also recommend the 16” 5.56 for a first rifle.
    Last edited by Captains1911; 08-20-18 at 21:58.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast