Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lead poisoning from brass bullet?

Feedback Score

Lead poisoning from brass bullet?

I have an 808 grain solid brass projectile that I'd like to drill a hole in and turn into a necklace. However it isn't listed as lead-free on the company's website, and on Midway it even has a lead warning. Would wearing it against my bare skin on a regular basis or handling it on a regular basis be risky or dangerous? Do brass bullets have more lead in them than brass casings? For that matter, is handling brass casings a form of lead exposure and requires handwashing afterwards?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Brass is part Zinc and part Copper. Drill it, spray it with laquer, and enjoy your funky fresh medallion.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Brass is part Zinc and part Copper. Drill it, spray it with laquer, and enjoy your funky fresh medallion.
    From the manufacturer:

"There is lead in Brass it is around 2 to 3% of the material. Attached you will find a MSDS Sheet for standard brass. We do use this brass as well as a Lead Free Brass; however, the Lead Free Brass can be very difficult to obtain. Yes, standard brass is listed on Prop 65 in CA. Whether there have been cases of lead poising from handle standard brass materials or not, I am not certain."

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Hmmm... I've seen the spectro analysis on various brasses... I didn't remember any lead.. I guess because of the small amount. I still say if you lacquer sealed it (or some sort of clear seal coating), It'd protect you and keep the thing from tarnishing.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I know of a few guys with bullets inside of them, and they dont have lead poisoning. (Not scientific, I know)
    You’ll be fine, laquering it keep it looking nice and keep the lead off your skin.

Fwiw, I dont think lead is an alloying component, likely a contaminate... at least that applies to brass specs I’ve heard of.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 08-20-18 at 19:12.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I know of a few guys with bullets inside of them, and they dont have lead poisoning. (Not scientific, I know)
    Thats a really good point.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I think the human body encapsulates a bullet or any other foreign matter as a natural defense.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The danger would be handling it and then eating or smoking without washing your hands, more than absorbing lead through your skin.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    The danger would be handling it and then eating or smoking without washing your hands, more than absorbing lead through your skin.

Andy
    So it is a danger?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BallisticHarmony View Post
    For that matter, is handling brass casings a form of lead exposure and requires handwashing afterwards?
    Once they're fired, yes... I always wash hands after shooting, before eating. I wear nitrile gloves when I'm reloading, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast