Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cracks on bolt face

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    I read those threads. The bolt carriers basically had ugly excess tool marks that had nothing to do with function. It was a case of "I can't have an ugly BCG in MY gun."

IIRC not one single person reported a problem with function, just cosmetics. I agree they were butt ugly and looked like someone hadn't finished the machining, but they evidently were GTG otherwise.

I've got a Colt 6920 that the upper's anodizing came out purple instead of black. Should I send it back to Colt?

Maybe it'll start a trend: a plum AR to go with your plum AK.
    Right yea but i get their point. You pay a premium for bcm. some people (me included) want the logo to match the logo on the rifle. For an extra $100 over a comparable mil spec bcg you should expect it to look good.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    So basically rumor innuendo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo Sierra View Post
    A couple of people on AR15 owners of america were complaining about the quality of the bcg. Not the actual function of it but at the price point it should have been better. When they contacted bcm, they were given the run around. I dont exactly know the situation, just something i read on line. I was suprised too.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    So basically rumor innuendo.
    I'd have to go find the thread but from memory someone complained about the response they got from BCM. BCM responded in the thread and said it wouldn't effect the working of the bolt carrier but if the person wanted they would replace it. From memory the bolt carrier did look pretty bad vs what you would expect to see but it was just cosmetic.

Edit: Found the thread, they were not as bad as I remembers.
    Last edited by ccosby; 08-23-18 at 20:36.

Feedback Score
    Quick update.

Long story short, I'm pretty much SOL with this bolt. I can't ship it myself to BCM because of ITAR, the original US exporter would have to handle it but the retailer I bought it from closed over a year ago and they imported BCM stuff through four different exporters so there's no way to know who originally exported the BCG.

I could get it MPI'd but I already know what the outcome will be and it will be expensive to get done.

It's a shitty situation because at the time I spent extra $ to get a premium BCG from a known quality manufacturer. Will it hold up another 10k rounds or just blow up in my face the nex round it fires...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artiz View Post
    Quick update.

Long story short, I'm pretty much SOL with this bolt. I can't ship it myself to BCM because of ITAR, the original US exporter would have to handle it but the retailer I bought it from closed over a year ago and they imported BCM stuff through four different exporters so there's no way to know who originally exported the BCG.

I could get it MPI'd but I already know what the outcome will be and it will be expensive to get done.

It's a shitty situation because at the time I spent extra $ to get a premium BCG from a known quality manufacturer. Will it hold up another 10k rounds or just blow up in my face the nex round it fires...
    Magnafluxing isn't that expensive. The local auto machine shop that I had do my cylinder heads told me it would be less than 20.00 bucks for an item that small. Every auto machine shop has a Magnaflux system to check cylinder heads and blocks, it is a fairly straightforward process.

On the other hand new bolts aren't that expensive. If I thought the bolt was cracked I would have already purchased a new one.

TruNorthArms seems to have both bolts and Toolcraft BCGs. Not BCM, I know.

In your place, I'd buy this bolt: https://truenortharms.com/products/bolt-assembly ($68.00) check headspace and not look back.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 09-11-18 at 13:23.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artiz View Post
    For what it's worth, I shot my NiB coated bolt til 2 of the lugs cracked off. I doubt you're in danger by using the bolt until something worsens..

Are bolts hard to get or really expensive there?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Isn't ITAR regulates items over $100 USD? BCM Bolt alone is about $70-80. If that's the case I don't see a reason why BCM won't ship a replacement to Canada especially. Or try to buy it from Brownells (if they ship to Canada) and ask them to reimburse you. BCM's customer service is not customer friendly (quite bad really) and most likely they'll say "no".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Magnafluxing isn't that expensive. The local auto machine shop that I had do my cylinder heads told me it would be less than 20.00 bucks for an item that small. Every auto machine shop has a Magnaflux system to check cylinder heads and blocks, it is a fairly straightforward process.

On the other hand new bolts aren't that expensive. If I thought the bolt was cracked I would have already purchased a new one.

TruNorthArms seems to have both bolts and Toolcraft BCGs. Not BCM, I know.

In your place, I'd buy this bolt: https://truenortharms.com/products/bolt-assembly ($68.00) check headspace and not look back.

That's you. I myself can't afford to buy a bolt right now. And I ain't 100% on buying Truenortharm's asian bolt.

We've witnessed the development of a pretty rich track record of bolt failures these last few years due to Canadian manufacturers cheaping out.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    For what it's worth, I shot my NiB coated bolt til 2 of the lugs cracked off. I doubt you're in danger by using the bolt until something worsens..

Are bolts hard to get or really expensive there?
    I also don't think it will worsen until something else gives. BUT, it's still a bunch of cracks on a bolt face...

And yeah... bolt availability in Canada sucks. It doesn't suck "all the way" tho, there's a $90 Daniel Defense bolt I'll get when I can afford it. It's pretty much the only known quality bolt in country right now, everything else is long out of stock.

Quote Originally Posted by alx01 View Post
    Isn't ITAR regulates items over $100 USD? BCM Bolt alone is about $70-80. If that's the case I don't see a reason why BCM won't ship a replacement to Canada especially. Or try to buy it from Brownells (if they ship to Canada) and ask them to reimburse you. BCM's customer service is not customer friendly (quite bad really) and most likely they'll say "no".
    ITAR is complicated. Through Brownells firearm accessories you're good to go but regulated items like barrels, actions, receivers, frames, flash hiders, require an export licence from the importer regardless of value, the fee is $250.
    Last edited by Artiz; 09-11-18 at 21:01.

Feedback Score
    Decided to give Brownell's nitride 9310 bolt and BCG (for another gun) a try.

The lone bolt is worn endmill country tho, lol. The bolt from the BCG is better, and doesn't have that edge relieve cut raised burr around the lugs. Shouldn't shot peening have taken care of that tho?

Both pics are of the same bolt.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I find it interesting that there are already pits in a brand new bolt face, likely indicating their presence in the base material from the start.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast