Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cracks on bolt face

Feedback Score
    I also don't think this is stress induced from firing, since this area of the bolt doesn't receive stresses that would lead to the lug area pulling away from the center of the bolt face (from the inside out), quite the contrary in fact, the force/stress transmitted by the case back from the bolt face to the back of the lugs would instead squeeze this area tighter together (from the outside in).

As BCM and I are discussing by email, I can't simply send them the bolt because of ITAR since I live in Canada, I'm contacting importer/exporters to see if they can help me out getting this bolt through the hoops to BCM.

I'm trying to find a way to get a better and closer image of the cracks.

Feedback Score
    This may sound and be stupid since you are looking at this thing and we have an engineer looking at it but your picture of your bolt looks shiny. Is this a nickel-boron coated bolt? If so, could it be this coating which is cracking?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    This may sound and be stupid since you are looking at this thing and we have an engineer looking at it but your picture of your bolt looks shiny. Is this a nickel-boron coated bolt? If so, could it be this coating which is cracking?
    It's a BCM bolt. They don't do NiB.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I have not been hearing good things about bcm qc lately, especially on the bcgs. Customer service as well when dealing with these issues. Glad i have couple of the older ones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo Sierra View Post
    I have not been hearing good things about bcm qc lately, especially on the bcgs. Customer service as well when dealing with these issues. Glad i have couple of the older ones.
    I bought this BCG in 2013.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I had an ejector roll pin fail on a new LMT bolt, shit happens, good companies will take care of it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What exactly have you heard about BCM qc slipping? They are a standup company.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by odugrad View Post

Yeah that's news to me...
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by odugrad View Post
    A couple of people on AR15 owners of america were complaining about the quality of the bcg. Not the actual function of it but at the price point it should have been better. When they contacted bcm, they were given the run around. I dont exactly know the situation, just something i read on line. I was suprised too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo Sierra View Post
    A couple of people on AR15 owners of america were complaining about the quality of the bcg. Not the actual function of it but at the price point it should have been better. When they contacted bcm, they were given the run around. I dont exactly know the situation, just something i read on line. I was suprised too.
    I read those threads. The bolt carriers basically had ugly excess tool marks that had nothing to do with function. It was a case of "I can't have an ugly BCG in MY gun."

IIRC not one single person reported a problem with function, just cosmetics. I agree they were butt ugly and looked like someone hadn't finished the machining, but they evidently were GTG otherwise.

I've got a Colt 6920 that the upper's anodizing came out purple instead of black. Should I send it back to Colt?

Maybe it'll start a trend: a plum AR to go with your plum AK.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast