Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: CZ Bren 2 in 308!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by akwalk View Post
    Got ya. According to a Bren 2 press release, the CZ rep stated that it takes Magpul mags, so I am guessing it will take other AK mags as well.
    In the link posted above you can see the mags it takes. They aren't AK mags. Definitely a proprietary mag. There's also a pic where he inserted a magpul 7.62x39 mag as far as it would go and it won't lock in or insert far enough to feed. Modifying an AK mag looks like it would be much more tedious than just grinding off the lugs and adding a mag catch hole. Better to just buy the proprietary mags I think.

The barrel looks to be similar to the SCAR. You need a torque wrench with the proper size torx bit to remove and properly reinstall the barrel. Still a step better than an AR15 as no vice, receiver/barrel extension block, or workbench is required.

Looking at the manual, it looks like converting from 5.56 to 7.62x39 is NOT a .300 blackout type swap involving just a barrel. You need a different bolt, barrel, recoil spring, magazine, and maybe some more things I forgot. That's going to be an $800-1000 conversion kit, best case.

All that said, the Bren 2 really looks like a great machine. They certainly got the weight right.

There are two aftermarket solutions I already want to see though: a part with "wings" to take the secondary bolt catch/release out of the trigger guard, and an adapter that allows replacement of the factory folding stock's butt with one shaped to accept a pistol brace, like one made for the CZ Scorpion's folding stock that accepts a Tail Hook brace.

Feedback Score
    At around 1:47 in this clip, the CZ rep states that 30 round Magpul mags will work. Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO8KEBEaa8Q. So, if the Bren 2 only takes proprietary mags that is a major bummer, but not a deal breaker. If this is the case, maybe there will be an aftermarket lower produced that will take most AK mags.
    Last edited by akwalk; 09-07-18 at 03:15.

Feedback Score
    At around 1:47 in this clip, the CZ rep states that 30 round Magpul mags will work. Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO8KEBEaa8Q. So, if the Bren 2 only takes proprietary mags that is a major bummer, but not a deal breaker. If this is the case, maybe there will be aftermarket lower produced that will take most AK mags.
    All I can add is that Hungary appears to be adopting the Bren 2 in 7.62x39 and they appear to be using the same proprietary mags as seen here in the US. The proprietary mags do allow the use of the bolt catch.
    Again, have a look at the photos in the google link on page 3. The lines of the proprietary magazine do resemble the Magpul design, excepting the lugs of course.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Right from the horse's mouth: These limited initial imports were the only guns that came into the US and at this time CZ USA has not announced the release of products for 2019. That is all we can say at this time, however we can verify the authenticity; those are legitimate CZ Bren 2 models.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    The French guns are rifles, select-fire, and have picatinny rails.

The first two makes the import of these a no-go and the third one tying into the first two makes this theory improbable.

Well, for whatever reason, these are it until 2019....but French GIGN do use the SBR'd models. Would be nothing for CZ to just not put a stock on them, use semi auto lowers, and import them....
    Professional Babysitter

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This thread got a little off track into the x39 and 5.56 versions....

So is the .308 Bren 2 still over the horizon? Sounds like no official mention of them other than the reddit post.

With the specs we're seeing, this thing will kill the SCAR if reliability is good.
    "75% of gun owners would be just as happy with airsoft." - Failure2Stop

Feedback Score
    I totally agree with the above, I think a Bren 2 could be a great alternative to the Scar 17S. Not knocking the Scar 17S either, as I had one breifly, and I really liked it. This is what CZ states about a Bren 2 in 308 as of 09-11-18 " We have not announced a Bren 2 in 7.62 x 51. This being the case, I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of such a model or a release date. "
    Last edited by akwalk; 09-12-18 at 16:40.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I totally agree with the above, I thiink a Bren 2 could be a great alternative to the Scar 17S. Not knocking the Scar 17S either, as I had one breifly, and I really liked it. This is what CZ states about a Bren 2 in 308 as of 09-11-18 " We have not announced a Bren 2 in 7.62 x 51. This being the case, I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of such a model or a release date. "
    Seriously. The SCAR 17 is a tremendous weapons platform, but this thing (on paper) capitalizes on all the 17s shortcomings.

Weighs only slightly more - 8.5lbs
    Longer handguard
    Folding stock
    Takes SR-25 pattern mags
    Takes AR grips

If reliability is where it should be, FN will be worried.

It's also just "on paper," but I kinda wish the gas system/handguard was shorter. Balance is an excellent advantage of the 17 and this thing looks a tad long for my tastes. We'll see though. It'll be 2+ yrs before we see them here.
    "75% of gun owners would be just as happy with airsoft." - Failure2Stop

Feedback Score
    Yeah, 8.5 lbs lost it for me unless it does something crazy like shoot at or under MOA. If it's another 2 MOA gun, the SCAR17 has it beat, IMHO. What advantage does it offer for having to carry an extra pound in your arms?

Feedback Score
    Less felt recoil?

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast