Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 50% off

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

50% off

I'm not sure if they sent the email yet or not, but Centurion Arms is blowing out their Keymod rails for 50% off. I threw a blurb up on FB, and talk more below about Keymod, MLOK, and the rails of the future in the below paragraphs, so if you are just looking for the good deals on rails, jump to www.centurionarms.com .

Centurion Arms is blowing out their Keymod rails for 50% off. For guys who are already invested in the Keymod system, this is a phenomenal deal. For guys (and gals) who are looking for a high quality light weight rail, these are very worth looking at as well.

Keymod rails do not sell as fast as quad and MLOK rails, so it isn't too shocking that some companies have decided to stream line production. Its worth pointing out, these rails work as well now as they did when first introduced, it just takes a couple extra seconds to install accessories.

Do I think Keymod is a dead dog? I doubt it, at least not for right now. I do think MLOK took the wind out of the sails of Keymod, and the initial support and product lineup that Magpul had speaks greatly for the clout they have in the industry. Had Magpul come out first with MLOK, and Keymod come out second, would things be any different? Maybe yes, maybe no. For every complaint I hear about Keymod installation, I hear a complaint about MLOK not locking in correctly. I don't think each user who complains is an ignoramus, but I do think that people expect their mounting systems to be as simple and easy as installing something on a 1913 rail. Current rail systems simply are not there, at least not unless you include the 1913 rails and the direct attach rails (like the Centurion Arms CMR).

If you think I'm wrong or just plain crazy, stop and ask yourself why the largest selling accessories for MLOK and Keymod rails are mounts? Probably because lights, optics and return to zero are things which don't overly exist in the MLOK and Keymod world.

There are plenty of companies working on next generation rail systems. While I do have NDAs in place, I can still say in a generic manner that rails are still in their infancy. All this means is buy what you want for right now, because sooner or later your current rails and gadgets won't make you the cool kid on the block anymore.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I am interested in the thoughts and opinions of other in where you think the rail of the future is headed, and what it will or won't consist of.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I am interested in the thoughts and opinions of other in where you think the rail of the future is headed, and what it will or won't consist of.
    I don't know if it is the wave of the future or a thing of the past but I like what Spuhr is doing with their HK upgrades, the hybrid mix of pic rail and a lot of rail-free area with threaded holes to mount whatever. Obviously not a new concept KAC URX 3 series and Centurion original CMR come to mind, but what I'd like to see is that concept standardized through the industry like Mlok and KeyMod, have a set dia on hole, a standard thread type and center to center spacing so all the handguard scales, and direct interface mounting like Spuhr does for their ISMS system will interchange.
    Last edited by titsonritz; 08-23-18 at 15:26.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I wonder if we will see ARCA system implemented into rails? Its very popular in the PRS world and it’s the only attachment method that allows TRUE customization. With current offerings you have to sometimes settle for mount location based on slot availability, with ARCA you can slide accesories to precisely where you want them. So maybe we’ll see a stronger variant or concept in the future?

Feedback Score
    Had Magpul come out first with MLOK, and Keymod come out second, would things be any different? Maybe yes, maybe no.

Had Magpul come out first with KeyMod and someone else introduced an MLOK design a few years later, would the MLOK design have been the market success that is is today? My answer is no. I mean... other than Magpul support I don't see MLOK being a solution that KeyMod hadn't already answered.

Neither MLOK nor KeyMod replaces 1913 for securing sighting systems. My guess is that holds the key to the future.
    Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 08-23-18 at 08:20.

Feedback Score
    This is a great deal for someone not married to either system. I am very interested to see where rail systems go in the future, but for now I think the best solution is the Geissele/SLR style that has 1913 at the ends for secure attachment with MLOK available for additional mounting options.

I think BCM hit it out of the park with their QRF, but would like to see an extended barrel nut for additional rigidity implemented as a rolling change to their options.

FWIW, I prefer Keymod to MLOK for its mounting simplicity, but think that Keymod is on its way out. I don't know enough about the screw-in options strength to have an opinion.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Do I think Keymod is a dead dog? I doubt it, at least not for right now. I do think MLOK took the wind out of the sails of Keymod, and the initial support and product lineup that Magpul had speaks greatly for the clout they have in the industry. Had Magpul come out first with MLOK, and Keymod come out second, would things be any different? Maybe yes, maybe no...........
    All this means is buy what you want for right now, because sooner or later your current rails and gadgets won't make you the cool kid on the block anymore.
    I think the Crane study, and talk of military adoption for Mlok shot keymod in the foot more effectively than any other market/social reasons. Although I've been an Mlok guy since day 1 anyway.
    However, I also would hesitate to mount a sighting device on either system, and I think it's also kind of hilarious how much of an accessory line has sprung up around bolting things back on to KM/ML hanguards, which apparently was half the attraction of getting AWAY from Pic rails in the first place... Go figure.

That being said, if anyone is buying or swapping out rail/handguard systems for reasons based on anything other than what they need the thing to do... they're probably one of those idiots that spends more time "customizing" their gun than shooting it anyway...
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I don't have a specific preference regarding a lockup or technical aspects of MLOK vs KeyMod, but to keep things simple (as in compatible and interchangeable) I decided to standardize on MLOK and will not buy anything KeyMod even if it was 90% off.
    For KeyMod folks I see no point of switching everything into MLOK just because it's in fashion.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alx01 View Post
    I don't have a specific preference regarding a lockup or technical aspects of MLOK vs KeyMod, but to keep things simple (as in compatible and interchangeable) I decided to standardize on MLOK and will not buy anything KeyMod even if it was 90% off.
    For KeyMod folks I see no point of switching everything into MLOK just because it's in fashion.
    Agreed, the only reason to change over would be the price/ quality and knowing that you were getting a certain set of components for the weapon. For example, putting a light and front sight on each rail is pretty straight forward, and most people don't even go the route of installing a light. For my "real" weapons that aren't slapped around for a variety of images, my setups stay in place and do not get moved around. I don't care what the rail holes whisper to me in the dark.....
    Stick

Feedback Score
    Any idea when any of the next gen rails will be available?
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast