Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geissele High Speed National Match-Match trigger doubling

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Geissele High Speed National Match-Match trigger doubling

Ive got a Geissele High Speed National Match-Match trigger in my 6.5 creedmoor built on Aero Precision M5 receiver set. The gun has an SLR adjustable gas port, JP lightweight carrier and JP silent captured spring.

The gun has 350-400 rounds through it before today. Never had an issue. I havent shot the gun in about a year due to no time to get to the long range.

Finally get some time to hit the range today. Shooting off a bench, not prone.

Rounds 1, 2, and 3 fire normally. Rounds 4-5 doubled. I cant say if the hammer was reset after this as I only had 5 rounds in the mag.

I broke the gun down, tested the trigger and everything held like it should(sear and disconnector wise) as far as I could tell. I did not bump the stock on the ground and see if it slipped off of anything.

Put a little oil on the trigger and hammer pins and put the gun back together.

Put 5 rounds in the mag, the gun doubled 1&2, fed 3 and stopped. Again, I am not sure if the hammer reset after this event as I cleared and put the gun away.

I am not 100% sure that I didnt bump firing the gun, but I would have GUESSED that I would have bump fired more than 2, I dont know, ive never purposely bump fired a gun before. I have shot this gun from the bench and from prone. Never had it double before. I feel that my trigger discipline when shooting precision is pretty decent. I do not reset the trigger until the gun settles down, I typically hold it to the rear. Thats why I lean away from this being a "bump fire" and more of a "the trigger setup isnt quite right" or "the disconnector isnt quite right" due to my holding of the trigger to the rear until the gun settles.

I am going to go through the trigger setup again to make sure I dont have the sear engagement to far out of whack and its barely holding on... Just weird to put 350-400 rounds through a gun and THEN it has issues, but I guess the sear face could be just now worn in enough that I need to re-do the setup procedure.

Anything else PHYSICALLY I should look for on this beyond following the Geissele directions on setting the two screws?

What say you, people who are WAY smarter on this platform than me?

ETA: just to be clear I am NOT blaming Geissele, their product, or anything about them. I have not contacted them and I dont think I will be until I can go back through the setup procedure and shoot the gun again. If it still does it at that point, I will be contacting them to get their take on it and to possibly send the trigger back.
    Last edited by rjacobs; 08-23-18 at 14:51.

Feedback Score
    Same issue here recently and it reminded me of when my older Colt large Pin with a Jewel trigger had the after travel set too tight... in essence I was bump firing the rifle unintentionally. So in both cases the solution for me was to increase the amount of after travel. Good luck

edit to add:

As to the instructions they are pretty darn good as to understanding the relationship of sear engagement and weight of pull. Quite possibly after the limited number of rounds that you have fired a very small amount of wear has changed that beautiful break into a broken assembly. Re-adjust and try again ASAP.
    Last edited by 308sako; 08-23-18 at 18:29.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/mark_twain_386139

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 308sako View Post
    As to the instructions they are pretty darn good as to understanding the relationship of sear engagement and weight of pull. Quite possibly after the limited number of rounds that you have fired a very small amount of wear has changed that beautiful break into a broken assembly. Re-adjust and try again ASAP.
    Thats where I am leaning. Re-adjust and shoot it again.

Feedback Score
    Take off the upper
    Cock the hammer
    Put a foam earplug in front of the bot catch
    Put your hand in front if the hammer and pull the trigger- keep the trigger pinned back for the rest...
    Catch the hammer and reset while holding trigger back
    While still holding the trigger back, push and hit all the fcg parts, wiggle the disconnector, etc, just dont press firmly on the tail of, or pull the disconnector.

If the hammer doesnt release, its most likely you just bumped it.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I don't have a Nat'l Match, but I have a Super 3 Gun with the 4 lb spring. On the rare occasions that I bench shoot, I occasionally double fire or bump fire this trigger account the short pull and reset and the odd ergonomic (for me) configuration at the bench. I've never had this occur in any other shooting position. You might try shooting prone and see if the double fire still occurs.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Pull it out and examine it. Once you are satisfied there is nothing foreign in the mix, readjust the trigger and put a more positive engagement on it. If the adjust won't work, send it back to Geissele without a second thought. They will look it over, figure out what the story is, and get it back to you pretty darn quick.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Trigger follow through will prevent the double.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KUSA View Post
    Trigger follow through will prevent the double.
    you ever shot this particular trigger?

I have no issues with trigger follow through, especially on a trigger with basically zero over travel...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    you ever shot this particular trigger?

I have no issues with trigger follow through, especially on a trigger with basically zero over travel...
    I own 3 of them and am familiar with what your describe.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KUSA View Post
    I own 3 of them and am familiar with what your describe.

it appears I am not the only person with this trigger, with this issue in a big frame AR...

So please explain trigger follow through when there is no over travel...

When I shoot my precision guns(whether bolt or semi) I consciously hold the trigger to the rear until the gun settles down from recoil...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast