Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting bitten by the 1911 bug again

Feedback Score

Getting bitten by the 1911 bug again

I've been a Glockster since the early 1990's. But the first handgun I really "loved" was the 1911. I shoot it more accurately than any other handgun. In fact, when I qualified for CCW, I used a 1911, and the instructor had to caution me to disperse my rounds a little bit because she had to count the hits on target. I had put nearly all the rounds into one ragged hole.

So, I'm out of touch with regard to this platform.

I'd like to put it to you members to point out the best 1911 that meets the following criteria:

1. Must be 100% with ball ammo. I'm not so concerned with using it as a defensive tool. I still have Glocks for that.
    2. Must come with good, visible sights from the factory: no USGI tiny sights
    3. Must be a good, name brand. No bottom feeders.
    4. Must be under $1,000
    5. Prefer steel frame; prefer stainless steel on top of that.
    6. Must be current production and not some discontinued Unicorn from yesteryear.

What say you?

Doable?

And if you own this beast can you post pics?

Feedback Score
    Wiley Clapp Stainless Commander.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I don't think a Wiley Clapp would fall under $1000 (Stainless Commander MSRP is $1399).

Maybe used. Maybe a used Dan Wesson Heritage (MSRP $1298). Maybe a Stainless Colt Railgun (MSRP $1199).

Probably a Springfield Stainless Loaded (MSRP is $963). Or a Range Officer Stainless if you want adjustable sights (MSRP is $1055). Colt Competition SS (MSRP $999) if you don't want to give SAI money.

I just got a Dan Wesson Heritage and have been toying with selling it to fund a Dan Wesson A2, because I don't like stainless 1911s.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    For that price, I think the SA Range Officer series is your best bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Springfield Loaded should meet all those requirements. I traded mine off a few years ago, but it was a great gun right out of the box and never had an issue. It had about 3k rounds when I traded it.

Feedback Score
    Check out the Colt competition. I have one in 9mm great shooting pistol, it eats everything. They are making stainless versions with series 70 trigger also. Looking at one in 45acp myself.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you're not concerned with it as a defensive tool I'd look at Rock Island or something similar.

I was in your shoes a while back. Just wanted a 1911 to have but wanted a name brand one. Bought a used TRP. Honestly, the amount of times I shoot it I could have saved literally half MY money and bought a RI because both will shoot a couple boxes of ammo every few years

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    If you can bump your budget up $150-200 or just keep an eye out for a deal, there’s also the Dan Wesson Vigil.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    A 70 Series Colt would be good if you don't want a bunch of frilly stuff.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    If you can bump your budget up $150-200 or just keep an eye out for a deal, there’s also the Dan Wesson Vigil.

I believe those are aluminum frames, not steel or stainless steel.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast