Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting bitten by the 1911 bug again

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Correct.
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    A 70 Series Colt would be good if you don't want a bunch of frilly stuff.
    Around $825 locally.

Feedback Score
    For the money, I think the Wiley Clapps are good pistols since they are series 70 and offer some basic upgrades. I had two of them, the Commander models but decided to go series 70 retro though but not sure I like them because the sights kind of suck. If you do decide to get one of the series 70 base models, Harrison Designs offers a nice rear sight called the Tall GI, it's thicker than the thin factory sight and lines up nicely with the front sight. I'm thinking of just customizing these little by little until I get what I want.

Feedback Score
    At your price point I can add the Ruger SR1911 to the list to look at. You get some nice upgrades in the box too. They are a good usable gun right out of the box with nice controls and decent sights. As for me I got a SA TRP used for a little bit south of your price point.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In late 2012 I got the bug for something different, a Colt in .38 super auto. I got it as a range toy, really my 1st such pistol but it has evolved into a first choice range and competition pistol for 2 gun, IDPA etc. It has remained mostly stock with the exception of sights and few minor things. The stock grip safety works for me so it remains too.
    I have abused it with minimal cleaning and long round counts, it is on it's 3rd 2000 round no additional lube, no cleaning test. It has performed as well as I could expect a pistol to perform. Were it not for the weight I would carry it with full confidence, clean of course..

IMO a well built 1911 can be a reliable service auto and it need not be expensive as long as it starts from quality. Range use? No problem. Have fun with your choices!
    Last edited by 1986s4; 08-25-18 at 16:19.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Lotta good suggestions, I am a Springfield Armory guy. You can work your way up their line from Range officer to TRP. I like the new MC Operator with VZ grips for around $1k.

Good luck.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was going to suggest a Series 1 Kimber, but saw that you stipulated nothing discontinued. In that case, Series 70 Colt. Makes for a great base gun if you want to do a custom build later on.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Springfield Loaded. Mine hasn’t had a hiccup in 4K plus rounds. I shot 1000 rounds straight out of the box- no lube or cleaning- and had two ammo related malfunctions. I slapped an S&A magwell on it and routinely beat shooters with much more expensive 1911’s.

Feedback Score
    It's funny about 1911s, people love them or hate them now. I love em. Tony Cowden, who I follow on instagram, does nothing but trash talk them.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Another vote for the springfield loaded. I use mine as my training pistol. It was the first 1911 I bought, and I got it through the gun store employee purchase plan. Runs awesome, only had to replace the recoil spring so far. I also have a TRP and a MC operator. Carry the operator as my duty gun now as I always work nights and it is a lot easier using the weapon light. As Papabear said the new VZ grips they are putting on them are pretty awesome. The only issue I have had with it is that surefire lights don't seem to fully lock in place. I swapped to using a TLR-1 and no issues so far.

The range officer would also be a solid pick if you want adjustable sights.
    Lack of Lubrication -- a lot of folks who learned on bolt guns don't understand that gas guns like women run better wet.
    -KevinB

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast