Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Getting bitten by the 1911 bug again

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I got "bit" back in the late seventies. My first pistol was a 1911 in .45 ACP. Now I have one also in 9mm and I recently got a Sprg. 1911 in 10mm.

1911s are cool.

Even Molly (see avatar) packs a 1911 when she wears a Bikini.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I just picked up a S&W 1911 E series for less than $1000 and am very happy with it. I know some folks don’t like the external extractor but I got about 500 rounds through it an no issues at all. I’ve had a bunch of different 1911’s and got to say I like the S&W.

Ed

Feedback Score
    How is the Ruger 1911?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ejr490 View Post
    I just picked up a S&W 1911 E series for less than $1000 and am very happy with it. I know some folks don’t like the external extractor but I got about 500 rounds through it an no issues at all. I’ve had a bunch of different 1911’s and got to say I like the S&W.

Ed
    Does that avoid "extractor tuning" issues?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    ^^ Theoretically yes, it’s (coil) spring loaded so not reliant on proper extractor tension.
    A weak link would be extractor claw/hook being properly chamfered/polished.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    Does that avoid "extractor tuning" issues?
    Browning and Saive improved on the 1911 extractor when they designed the Hi-Power.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Browning and Saive improved on the 1911 extractor when they designed the Hi-Power.
    The Hi Power had an internal extractor until the 1960s or 70s, IIRC.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Most things I’ve seen on the S&W extractor is that most people say that of the external extractors they seem to have got it right. I thought that it was a lot of gun for the money. I’ve never been a big fan of stainless guns but this one is nice. Runs great and believe it or not I’ve been able to recove all my brass because they all end up in pretty much the same spot. Reliability so far is 100% with ball and swc reloads.

Feedback Score
    Just stick with the original internal extractor, you'll always be able to get replacement parts. Example, I purchased some SIG P22X pistols of varying type, these were the stamped steel slide models. Suddenly SIG gets the bright idea of going to an external exractor and milled slide- fine except they no longer support the older models. Lesson learned.

Feedback Score
    Under 1K? Colt, Springfield or Ruger in whatever order you prefer, but I would lean heavily towards Springfield personally. If you are not opposed to ordering on line, stainless TRP's can be had for right around $1200 or so and are good guns for the money in my personal experience.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast