Thread: Did Ruger fix the Redhawk light strike problem?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Did Ruger fix the Redhawk light strike problem?

Are the new Redhawk 44s prone to light strikes, as they were in the past?

Feedback Score
    How are you determining it is a light strike?

Are you getting failures to fire or looking at primer indents on fired cases?

Have any of the factory springs been replaced?

Feedback Score
    I've had a number of Redhawks, and have never encountered light strikes in any caliber. You can screw them up by putting too light of a spring in them, but that's just a bubba issue.
    “Detached Reflection Cannot Be Demanded in the Presence of an Uplifted Knife” ~ Brown v. United States (1921)

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by anachronism View Post
    I've had a number of Redhawks, and have never encountered light strikes in any caliber. You can screw them up by putting too light of a spring in them, but that's just a bubba issue.
    Same. I've had 7.5", 5.5" and 4" and no light strikes with any of them.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Read the following with a grain of salt:

I’ve heard that the Super Redhawk is more desireable for trigger tuning because the spring in the Redhawk that is responsible for DA pull weight also runs the hammer. It sounded, to me, as if it works similarly to a Beretta or Sig, where if you chase the spring rate dragon too far, you will get light strikes, and the Super has some sort of different voodoo inside.

Dunno, I never took my Redhawk apart or modified it, and it ate factory ammo and reloads with magnum primers with 100% success rate at going “bang”. It was a cool gun that was very forgiving to load for.
    Last edited by 1168; 02-11-20 at 01:09.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Read the following with a grain of salt:

I’ve heard that the Super Redhawk is more desireable for trigger tuning because the spring in the Redhawk that is responsible for DA pull weight also runs the hammer. It sounded, to me, as if it works similarly to a Beretta or Sig, where if you chase the spring rate dragon too far, you will get light strikes, and the Super has some sort of different voodoo inside.

Dunno, I never took my Redhawk apart or modified it, and it ate factory ammo and reloads with magnum primers with 100% success rate at going “bang”. It was a cool gun that was very forgiving to load for.
    This is my understanding as well, the Six-series is to the Redhawk as the GP100 is to the Super Redhawk. The problem with the Super RH is you have a choice between massive and a 7.5" or 9.5" barrel with integral frame ring cuts or a "snub" nose in the form of the Alaskan, thus enter the Bowen GP44.
    http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/news...44_Redhawk.pdf
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    This is my understanding as well, the Six-series is to the Redhawk as the GP100 is to the Super Redhawk. The problem with the Super RH is you have a choice between massive and a 7.5" or 9.5" barrel with integral frame ring cuts or a "snub" nose in the form of the Alaskan, thus enter the Bowen GP44.
    http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/news...44_Redhawk.pdf
    The std Redhawk & old "Six" series revolvers use entirely different actions. The Super Redhawk does use a similar action to GP100 which is more "tuneable" than the Std Redhawk Action. I believe Ruger will eventually introduce a "GP44" style design, they seem to be flirting with the concept with the "Super" GP100.
    “Detached Reflection Cannot Be Demanded in the Presence of an Uplifted Knife” ~ Brown v. United States (1921)

Feedback Score
    I had a Redhawk .44 for a short time. The trigger felt just okay. So if someone had put a lighter spring in it it wasnt that light.

It would sometimes light strike in double-action. IIRC it was a late 80's early 90's model.

Sometimes I think I want an Redhawk 8-shot .357. I had the S&W 8 shot .357 and fired it quite a bit. I didnt shoot it as well as I hoped. The trigger was heavy and the weight didnt tame the recoil like i thought it would.

A big 'ol Redhawk should cut .357 recoil more.
    Last edited by Ron3; 02-12-20 at 06:57.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Check your firing pin and firing pin protrusion. Your looking for .050-.060. If it meets this requirement, install a new factory mainspring. If still having DAO misfires, need to look at the transfer bar and hammer to make sure the hammer is bottoming out the transfer bar without trapping the transfer bar on trigger reset.

Alot of Smiffswill work on redhawk but will not reduce the spring and Bowen makes an extra power mainspring for the redhawk along with an extended firing pin. Bowen and JRH have been recommended repeatedly for Redhawk action work.

Also look at a return to the mothers hip to fix their manufacturing fopau.
    Last edited by Ttwwaack; 03-07-20 at 05:55.
    I know I should just keep my mouth shut and smile, but what fun is that?