Thread: Colt SOCOM 14.5" suppressed?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Colt SOCOM 14.5" suppressed?

Has anybody tried, seen, read about it?

I've been tossing the idea around. A 14.5" SOCOM upper with FSB in a 50/50 suppressed/un-suppressed configuration. I'm looking for some opinion, education, and product knowledge. At this point it's all theory, and really just a mental exercise as I learn about suppressing firearms in general. I'll be the first to admit I don't know anything about anything when it comes to running cans. I'm still waiting for my firsts (Omega 300 and free promo Octane 45) to get out of jail, so my real life experience is exactly zero. I do plan on setting up my Colt Commando 11.5" properly, so this project would be on the side, just for kicks.

Some of the pertinent info that I do know is that carbine gas systems aren't the best setup for suppressed fire, and really a 14.5" mid length system would be a much better starting point. I gather that the reduced gas flow from the tube seems to be a good or better option as it keeps the extra gasses from dissipating in the receiver, and instead ports it more from the barrel, thus the popularity of the adjustable gas block as the primary option. Also that the rifle tuned one way or the other is unlikely to work well both ways.

If I were to run and FSB, ofc I wouldn't be able to utilize an adjustable gas block, so my main questions, or points of discussion, would be to get some feedback on the RCA adjustable gas key system, an adjustable gas tube, or the Bootleg vs. Gemtech adjustable BCG's. It seems like any of these could be a decent option for my theory's, but I'm sure some of you actually know the answers, including if it's just a crazy dumb idea all around to suppress a SOCOM barrel. I guess the same discussion could include/apply to suppressing a 16" M4 carbine too, except ofc the "more" optimum 14.5" barrel length.

So far from my own limited research, my initial thinking is the two best options for adjustability would be something like....

1) Adjustable gas tube (best brand unknown) and Nickle Boron vs. Nitrate vs. Phosphate BCG.
    2) Bootleg BCG.

...and a third option that I like but am unsure of...

3) Nickle Boron BCG with RCA adjustable gas key installed by RTB.

As a footnote, are gas buster charging handles helpful too? What do you guys think? Give it to me straight, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I guess this thread could have gone into the technical section, so if that's a better place mods please feel free to move it there.

As a follow up, I forgot to mention that I'd like to run this with a standard H2/H3 buffer, but was also eyeballing the Surefire H9, or I could also set it up with an A5 buffer system.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I use an h2 and bootleg with my SOCOM upper..
    Also a pigtail gas tube to work on dwell time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I believe in peace, love and extremely violent weapons systems... just in case that whole peace-and-love thing doesn't work out.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I didn't spend a lot of time with it, but I put a buddy's Surefire SOCOM RC on mine. Very little gas to the face, and it ran several types of ammo without issue.

Details: 14.5" Colt SOCOM barrel, shaved fsb, Colt full auto BCG, Geissele SCH, Geissele Super42 braided spring & H2 buffer.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    My go-to rifle is a Colt 6920 with a SOCOM barrel, shaved fsb, etc. I run a Surefire SOCOM 308 can and it runs fine with 77 grain and 55 grain brass and steel.

Untitled by stoiclawyer, on Flickr
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    The military version of this weapon, M4A1, is used with KAC and Surefire suppressors with no functional issues. I would leave the gas system and BCG stock for part time suppressed use.

The Gasbuster charging handle is nice. I use the “Military Big Latch” on every rifle I have, with both regular and Gasbuster charging handles.

I will say that the can makes it rather front-heavy.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Gasbuster ch is a waste of money IMO. A BCM Gunfighter does as good a job, which isnt much. The only thing that has worked for me is a Superlative Arms venting adjustable gas block. Instead of choking off the gas and dumping it in the receiver, it vents the excess forward away from the shooter.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Thanks for the replies. I always figured if I go down this road I'd start off without any mods and go from there, it sounds like I may not need any fancy gadget parts after all. I'm looking forward to some personal tests, but a few months to go (at least).