Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LMT MLKMWS vs SR-25 uppers? Now LMT build.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

LMT MLKMWS vs SR-25 uppers? Now LMT build.

Due to inane state firearm laws, I’m planning to purchase an LMT MWS lower and pairing it with an LMT or KAC upper. Are there benefits/differences between going with an SR-25 CC vs an MLKMWS light profile 16” uppers in .308?

The only differences I can discern without experience with either is the LMT is monolithic with a proprietary barrel/attachment so I have the option of the 6.5 Creedmoor barrel in the future. The KAC might be lighter weight and better gassed for 308.

Are there any retailers that offer discounts on the above uppers? I couldn’t find any that sold MLKMWS using the usual searches.

Thanks for any input.
    Last edited by crosseyedshooter; 09-18-18 at 22:55.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by crosseyedshooter View Post
    Due to inane state firearm laws, I’m planning to purchase an LMT MWS lower and pairing it with an LMT or KAC upper. Are there benefits/differences between going with an SR-25 CC vs an MLKMWS light profile 16” uppers in .308?

The only differences I can discern without experience with either is the LMT is monolithic with a proprietary barrel/attachment so I have the option of the 6.5 Creedmoor barrel in the future. The KAC might be lighter weight and better gassed for 308.

Are there any retailers that offer discounts on the above uppers? I couldn’t find any that sold MLKMWS using the usual searches.

Thanks for any input.
    First, i do love Knights stuff, especially if somebody else is paying. With that being said, even while contracting overseas their pricing is crazytown. even with mil discount, and this is coming from a guy that dropped about 5k on his SCAR and still dont see it as anything special.

I would say yes you are correct that KAC's are more refined in 308 but by no means is a MWS unmanageable. Its far easier for me to smooth out my MWS in 308 with a heavier buffer/spring combo and a different muzzle device than it is optimize the KAC how I want it. Both Uppers share DNA so you not really getting a lessor weapon based on say choosing LMT.

lets say i want a 13.5 308 to run primary suppressed, well that means i either shit another 3500 for a spare upper, or pull the barrel, have it cut back, **** around with the buffer weights. Same thing with shooting long range. The Kac, forces me live with a 16 inch 308 or shit another 3700 dollars for a 6.5CM complete upper. Because everybody I Know, definitely has a need for another BCG, Charging handle and Back up sights on a long range upper.

Good times.

Retail to retail you are looking at around 2000 for the MWS, and about 3500 for the 308 SR25 upper. for about the same price as KAC, you can have a MWS with a 13.5 308 barrel and a 20 inch 6.5 barrel and 1000 a dollar optic. Now, if were to use your credit card sure, send over a 14.5, and a 6.CM and while you at it, add a NF 1-8 on the 14.5, and an ATACR 3-15 on the CM, hell dont foget to add a can to that order while you are at it.

both companies offer mil discounts, make great products, just decide what works out the best

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Both will do the same thing, the KAC just makes it easier to look and feel better while doing it.

I personally went for LMT, because at the time I could get two 16 Stainless MWS platforms for less than the cost of a single SR25. Factor in 30+ PMags and several accessories and the LMT was still cheaper. So, no brainer, right?

Fast forward and after a decent amount of time with the LMT, I can honestly I wish I'd have went with KAC. Nothing wrong at all with the LMT, it's just not nearly as refined as the KAC... and when you're using it a lot, that's the difference between loving something and slowly starting to dislike it.

But both will serve your purposes well, I'm sure.

Check out RatWorx in IL for MWS pricing. They had the best prices on LMT gear last time I checked.
    Last edited by Skyyr; 08-28-18 at 12:42.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    To add upon skyyr's comment on wishing he would of gone with a KAC,

After years of shooting M110's and messing around with the K1's, they really dont do any for me especially at the premium they go for.

I might pay a few hundred extra dollars for an upper since that extra refinement can be 99 percent addressed with a few hundred bucks.

If they were priced the same, maybe...If it was say an ECC, but even then, it's a tough sell.

But at 5k for their ecc replacement , nope...

I will take a 13.5 LW SS in the Mloc chassis, a new buffer and spring combo 10 out of 10 times

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    At the end of the days, you need both. ��

Plenty of people think LMT is just about as much gun, for much less cash, and many KAC owners that feel like they are worth every penny. It depends on taste preference and income.

I have a MWS and want a KAC in addition to my MWS.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    What length gas system is LMT still using on their 16" 308 barrels? I'm assuming that's where the main reason people report KAC shoots smoother than LMT?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What length gas system is LMT still using on their 16" 308 barrels? I'm assuming that's where the main reason people report KAC shoots smoother than LMT?
    The MWS sub 16 inch barrels use MID length tubes, SR25's use rifle length gas system. from what i recall part of the design philosophy was to be able to run on Linked MG ammo if needed whereas the SR25 was always designed around the 175gr Match round

There is a pretty good chance the MWS will run off Paki or Malaysian Surplus, something that i am not quite confident the SR25 could excel at. its all up to the use what they want, maximum refinement or increased reliability, there is no wrong answer.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m4hk33 View Post
    The MWS sub 16 inch barrels use MID length tubes, SR25's use rifle length gas system. from what i recall part of the design philosophy was to be able to run on Linked MG ammo if needed whereas the SR25 was always designed around the 175gr Match round

There is a pretty good chance the MWS will run off Paki or Malaysian Surplus, something that i am not quite confident the SR25 could excel at. its all up to the use what they want, maximum refinement or increased reliability, there is no wrong answer.
    This is not current data.
    The M110 type use(d) "rifle" length ports, but the E2 systems do not.
    The port locations, sizes, and type tie into the whole system for suppressed and unsuppressed functionality.
    Extensive in-house and outside testing has proven that what we do and the way we do it is on the money, with all kinds of ammunition types. About the only thing they don't like are insufficiently staked primers.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    This is not current data.
    The M110 type use(d) "rifle" length ports, but the E2 systems do not.
    The port locations, sizes, and type tie into the whole system for suppressed and unsuppressed functionality.
    Extensive in-house and outside testing has proven that what we do and the way we do it is on the money, with all kinds of ammunition types. About the only thing they don't like are insufficiently staked primers.
    Thanks for the info, good to know

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The 16 uses middy or maybe carbine, not sure the length. But the 18 or longer use rifle gas systems. I think based on ruff comparison to AR15's. I shot my buddies 18 rifle gas and his gun didn't shoot any softer. Im pissed I didn't buy my 6.5 barrel at 24 inches and cut it down to 20. vs buying a 20 inch barrel. Sometimes I am VERY DUMB.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast