Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LMT MLKMWS vs SR-25 uppers? Now LMT build.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I placed an order for the MLKMWS upper receiver from Brownells and the lower is backordered so I have time to decide on what barrel(s) to order. I’m still looking for availability of the BCG and assume I can use the same BCG for 308 and 6.5 barrels. My local ranges have steel out to 300 yards and I’d have to drive across state lines to shoot steel up to 750 yards. Maybe I’ll eventually do paper punching to 1000.

Option A, 2 configs $$$:
    Now: 16” chrome-lined lightweight 308 barrel + Nightforce NX8
    Later: 24” stainless 5R 6.5Cr barrel + Vortex 4.5-27

Option B, “do-all” config $$:
    18” stainless 5R 308 barrel + Nightforce 4-16x + RMR

Option C??
    Last edited by crosseyedshooter; 08-30-18 at 17:03.

Feedback Score
    I like the MWS base upper for some custom barrel precision roles that are heavier, but do what I want them to do.
    For lighter weight options, they don't compare to the KAC ACC offering.
    I'm not a fan of the NX8, if you need a 1-8x I tend to fall back on the CQBSS or the ATACR.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ive settled on a option A type setup. I tried the 18 inch inch route and while it was a nice shooter, it was too have to be used as a carbine, and 308 limited its range.

In regards to the ACC, This MWS set up gives up nothing to the ACC. It all depends on final configuration.

Last edited by m4hk33; 08-30-18 at 23:51.

Feedback Score
    If you are looking at the lighter weight offerings, I would tend to disagree overall to the the MWS giving up nothing to the ACC for multiple reasons, weight, balance, tolerance for other factors like cans, ammunition selections, etc.. for a given barrel length (i.e. 16"), shoot ability...
    I don't have enough time on the pair of 14.5" ACC uppers to give something more comprehensive, but I can on the LMT LWT 13.5".
    Don't get me wrong, LMT makes great stuff. In fact, I'm tending to prefer them as a base for heavier precision platforms with custom barrels and a few other changes.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Well, it didn’t take long! Brownells sent the shipping notification on the backordered lower and I’ve got an upper, 16” LW barrel and Geissele 762 charging handle on the way. I can’t have a flashhider or sound suppressor in this state, so what’s a fitting muzzle brake? I’ll be sure to provide the weight and my initial impressions assuming I can find a BCG.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I understand what you are saying, I am just saying that it depends on how you set the rifle up. The ACC is an awesome rifle.

I am sitting over here in Kuwait right now and as much as I love Kac, i cant justify a 14.5/16 inch 308 that's 4900 before optics.

its longer than my 13.5 With sandman K, Its not any more accurate, its not any more reliable, practically there is no difference in weight, They have practically the same lowers, same Bolt, different carrier, and a 2000 dollar difference in price. IF I felt there was something there, I would be all about it,

Both are great rifles, these are two very reliable weapons that have often competed against each other in Defense testing with each having success, but we have to be honest, they are very similar, we are not talking a difference such as say a V6 Camaro and Camaro ZL1, We are talking more Land cruiser/LX570. You have one basic platform that two firms essentially finish a different way. I am utterly confident in each weapon

if I only had 5k
    given the choice of having a ever so slightly more shootable ACC or Lightwieght MWS with Khales 1-6 or NX8, thats a no brainier.

If i want to extend my range I am looking at 3500, before optics. 3500... Thats almost An Accuracy international Rifle, That's an LMT 6.5 barrel, and NF 5-25 in mout

So yeah, I like the ACC, and no, i don't own one, but Just like my Scar 17 after it was modded with new, stock,trigger, and handguard, its ok, I like that it folds, but its not a 4000 dollar rifle, its the definition of alright.

Dont think that i am completely sold MWS being the best thing out there, Its dead reliable, Its accurate, it can be short and light, it can have range, it allows me to set it up how ever i want and just works. I dont have to force a short 308 to go long, i dont have to squeeze accuracy from a pencil barrel. If i want something short I have that option on the fly.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Hey OP, don’t mean to steer the convo in a different direction but are you living in Jersey by any chance? Cause I choose to go with AR 10 given the new laws limiting capacity even further. Purchased a used LMT at a good price and I’m happy with the fit and finish. Hoping to get out with it soon.
    "Guns attract retards like moths to a porch light."-markm

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    Hey OP, don’t mean to steer the convo in a different direction but are you living in Jersey by any chance? Cause I choose to go with AR 10 given the new laws limiting capacity even further. Purchased a used LMT at a good price and I’m happy with the fit and finish. Hoping to get out with it soon.
    No, I'm in CA on the Left Coast.

Back on topic, I've started my search for the BCG and it appears that all the MWS rifles come with the semi-auto bolt carrier. Since I'm piecing this together, I have the option of going with the full-auto carrier. The benefits from the added mass of a full-auto carrier is well know for the AR15, is it also the case here? They're priced the same, so would I be a fool not to opt for the full-auto carrier? Does the SR-25 use a semi or full auto carrier?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Same thing as with AR15 more mass is more mass.
    Last edited by m4hk33; 09-02-18 at 05:21.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    I wanted a rifle length gas system with a 16' barrel in my MWS, so I just went the custom route and had Marvin chop and dimple my 20" MWS CL barrel. The re-work required a lot of experimentation and tweaking to ensure reliability (buffer, spring, adjustable gas mitigation solutions), but ultimately we got it tuned just right. The bottom line is I love my MWS and won't consider parting with it at this point. However, I do feel the SR25 is a superior system when it comes to weight savings and out of the box performance. You can get an MWS down in weight if you run a LW profile barrel and you have some nice options with regards to caliber selection. If it's going to be your "one and done" solution, and if you have the means, the SR25 would yield a better return on your investment, but the MWS offers a bit more in terms of added capability if you're willing to invest in the whole system and take full advantage of it's modularity. I wouldn't trade either one.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast