Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rifle Weight

Feedback Score

Rifle Weight

Was talking to a buddy about the weight of his duty rifle and it got me thinking. Wanted to ask what do you guys think is a "practical" weight for an AR and at what weight would you consider it to be heavy or cumbersome. I have an suppressed SBR that comes in exactly at 8lbs when fully loaded.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Klingkong251 View Post
    Was talking to a buddy about the weight of his duty rifle and it got me thinking. Wanted to ask what do you guys think is a "practical" weight for an AR and at what weight would you consider it to be heavy or cumbersome. I have an suppressed SBR that comes in exactly at 8lbs when fully loaded.

8 lbs fully loaded with what? Honestly if you do your due diligence and buy stuff that isn’t autisticly heavy, you should be fine. People put WAY too much emphasis on this ultra light weight shit when what they should be putting an emphasis on is their workout routine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Loaded with a 30 round magazine. I'm not worried about weight and quite honestly, i don't find 8lbs to be unreasonable. I was just trying to get a general consensus of what people thought in terms of the weight of their rifles. I do agree that people put way too much emphasis on trying to make their weapons light, especially when most will never use their rifles for an extended period of time outside of plinking at the range but to each their own. And on a side note, I have the workout part of the equation down pretty well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    8 lbs fully loaded with what? Honestly if you do your due diligence and buy stuff that isn’t autisticly heavy, you should be fine. People put WAY too much emphasis on this ultra light weight shit when what they should be putting an emphasis on is their workout routine.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Klingkong251 View Post
    Loaded with a 30 round magazine. I'm not worried about weight and quite honestly, i don't find 8lbs to be unreasonable. I was just trying to get a general consensus of what people thought in terms of the weight of their rifles. I do agree that people put way too much emphasis on trying to make their weapons light, especially when most will never use their rifles for an extended period of time outside of plinking at the range but to each their own. And on a side note, I have the workout part of the equation down pretty well.

Think he was asking what's on it. Is that a basic gun with irons and a can? RDS? Light? etc.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Light, optic, flip up irons, and can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Think he was asking what's on it. Is that a basic gun with irons and a can? RDS? Light? etc.

Feedback Score
    I would say 8lbs to 10lbs loaded for a general purpose M4 style rifle (16" barrel) with optic and weapon light is acceptable and can easily and comfortably be carried all day.

I derived this weight from a Colt 6920 with high quality but relatively basic equipment.

Colt 6920: 6.5lbs

Loaded 30rd magazine: 1lb

Aimpoint Pro with mount .75lbs

Weaponlight: .25 lbs

Increase in weight from improved stock/hanguards over basic M4 stock/handguards .5 lbs

Total weight: 9lbs

Feedback Score
    My preference is for a general use ar to weigh 7-8.5 pounds without mag. If on the heavier side of this range it must balance well.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post

This is fact. Set up your weapon for the mission and your needs. If it weighs too much then you probably don't need to be using it.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    None of my rifles are svelte, these are the ones that get used the most:

My 10.5inch SBR with LAW folder, Omega suppressor with Manta cover, Aimpoint PRO, ALG V1 10in, Magpul VFG, Surefire G2 Magpul mount, sling, loaded with 28 rounds 55gr weighs in at 10lbs 8oz. 9lbs 2oz w/o suppressor. (GMB M-26 barrel weighs 1.35lbs)

My 16inch rifle with Vortex Spitfire, MI Gen2 15in handguard, Magpul VFG, sling weighs 8lbs empty. (GMB M8 barrel weighs 1.9lbs)

My wife's 16in with Burris AR1, no sling, Centurion Rail, weighs 6lbs 9oz empty (Sionics LW ML barrel weighs 1lb 6oz)

My 16in midlength, stainless M4 with A1 stock, sling, Burris AR223, Troy Battlesight, sling, Magpul forearms, Magpul VFG, weighs 8.5lbs empty.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Go swing a FAL around for awhile.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast