Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rifle Weight

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    8 lbs fully loaded with what? Honestly if you do your due diligence and buy stuff that isn’t autisticly heavy, you should be fine. People put WAY too much emphasis on this ultra light weight shit when what they should be putting an emphasis on is their workout routine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed. I’ve never even weighed a gun. If I need it light, like my wife’s, I opt for the lightest stuff that is unquestionably high performing. Anything beyond that isn’t the gun being too heavy, it’s the shooter being too weak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Lighter is always nice, but 7-9 lbs seems to be about right. IMO, balance is a big factor as well. A well balanced 9 rifle doesn’t feel as bad as a 8 lb nose heavy beast.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Klingkong251 View Post
    Was talking to a buddy about the weight of his duty rifle and it got me thinking. Wanted to ask what do you guys think is a "practical" weight for an AR and at what weight would you consider it to be heavy or cumbersome. I have an suppressed SBR that comes in exactly at 8lbs when fully loaded.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    Depends on what the use is, so however much it weighs when I have everything I need on it.

There are so many factors involved, to get a general consensus you need to define the limits.
    Nfa?
    Nv setups?
    Optics?
    Etc.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't think you'll find much difference in weight between rifles that are used by serious shooters. 7 - 10 lbs is probably the range they will mostly fall in after set up.

Going all LW parts is either going to be unnecessarily expensive or compromises reliability, durability or accuracy to an unacceptable standard for the shooter. And going too heavy is counter-productive for the intent of the AR-15 being a light and handy / general purpose rifle.

I could never imagine getting my general purpose rifles below 7 pounds with an optic, sling, light, without blowing cash out of my ass. (Edit: unloaded)
    Last edited by beschatten; 08-28-18 at 08:20.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I could drop weight with a different optic, but my pretty basic gun weighs right at 8 lbs unloaded, so figure 9+ with a 30 rnd PMAG. 16" BCM Lightweight barrel, FSB, Magpul handguards, CTR stock, AP Pro, Troy rear sight, sling and Streamlight G2 light.

My boat paddle stocked Ruger M77 MKII 30-06 with a 2x7 scope and sling weighs almost exactly as much.

It seems like the AR would be lighter, but all that additional stuff adds weight fast.

Andy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Spikes 16 inch "optimum" profile barrel, Aimpoint PRO, Troy SOCC 12" rail, Streamlight Railmount 2, B5 Bravo, Proctor sling.... I think was 7 lbs 12 ounces unloaded. Feels light enough for me.

Feedback Score
    16” DDM4 with a 13” Geissele MK5, MBUS backups, CompM4 in a Bobro, HSP WML in HSP mount, Magpul MS3 sling and a 30rd loaded PMag is 9 lbs

16” BCM SS 13” KM with Magpul Pro offsets, NF 2.5-10x42 in a bobro extended, Atlas Bipod and Magpul padded sling with a 20rd loaded PMag is 11 lbs.

Neither of these setups were chosen with the overall weight being an end factor.
    Last edited by SavageBrew84; 08-28-18 at 10:37.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by P2000 View Post
    If on the heavier side of this range it must balance well.
    I agree. A nose heavy gun is annoying even if it's a pound or two lighter than a balanced gun.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    A lightweight gun and gym time are not mutually exclusive. The most ‘roided out Ranger will still be more agile with a lighter gun and less fatigued after clearing a small village or IMT’ing 300m. Gym time makes you faster on target, and manuevering to a target, and so does a light gun. The dude with the MK46 was always sweaty, regardless of fitness.

I found this to be accentuated with a long gun with a can. When I was issued a M4a1 and KAC NT4, I found that pulling security on a knee for long periods was much more tiresome than a no-can gun. As was clearing building after building after an offset infil. Similarly, I found a Mk18 with a NT4 to be less fatiguing than a M4a1 with NT4. Surefire cans were similar. Sure, If you land on the X and clear a very small target area, then leave, any gun will suffice.

As a result, I generally set my gun up to keep the weight as aft as reasonably possible; for example, I placed my LA-5 or PEQ a little further back than some did. I used the lightest flashlight the armsroom guys could offer. I used very minimalist rail protectors. I also always used a CAR stock.

Today, as a guy that has to buy most of my ammo, I dig a gun with a medium-heavy contour barrel and regular fighting weight components. My favorite rifle weighs 11.0 lbs with 30rnds 855, sling, LPVO, 12” RISII, flashlight. Second favorite rifle weighs 9.2lbs 30rnds, with irons, sling, flashlight. Much of the weight in my guns is in the barrels. But I don’t have to carry them very far, ever. Work gun is whatever a very plain M16A4 weighs.

Very little of this matters to people that shoot on a range.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    I'm in a quandary between what's useful and what's "handy". My "go to" carbine has only a Meprolight M21 for optic, and an old school Surefire G2 in a VLTOR mount and Midwest Industries front sight mount for a light. The rest of the rifle is a bone stock Colt 6920.

Here's the kicker: I much prefer the BCM with carry handle sight. NO optic. NO light. And I replaced the handguards with the skinny type. I also opt to use 20-round mags. The carbine is so light and maneuverable that I'm rethinking all the doodads on the other carbine. I may try mounting a lightweight WML and seeing how things look at the range with the large peep sight aperture instead of an optic.

For the Colt...

Optic: maybe go with a TA44 ACOG instead of the Meprolight?

Light: maybe use a lighter weight Streamlight or Inforce WML?

I also thought of going with a pencil barrel upper and leaving the doodads as they are to see if that helps.

It's not that the Colt is overweight, but after an hour or two at the range you DO notice a difference in weight. Imagine trudging across the desert, which would you carry?

I also keep hearing in my head, "If the rifle's too heavy, you're too out of shape." So there is that.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast