Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Rifle Weight

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    What light was it?
    Surefire G2

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    While not particularly small, the G2, with Nitrolon head and tailcap only weighs 4.1 oz with batteries. The FSB mount is likely 2 oz, and the light ring mount is probably 1 or 2 oz, for a total of approximately 7.5 oz. A 2nd generation Inforce WML with integrated 1913 interface will reduce that by roughly half. You may still need a picatinny rail section for it, which will bite into your weight savings.

Feedback Score
    Light is nice but you can't beat reliable.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I don’t know what it weighs, but my Colt 6720 with magpul handguards, scout light, and Aimpoint PRO sure feels light.

Feedback Score
    My concerns about the newer LW guns is fragility. Some of the handguards don't appear to be able to handle a drop without being seriously bent or cracked beyond repair. That's a problem if you have a laser or bipod on the handguard.

I've taken some classes involving vehicle elements, multiple barricades, improvised fighting positions, etc. and the guns get seriously knocked around and abused. I'd be hesitant to do that with many handguards.

Feedback Score
    My Colt 6920 set up as follows, Aimpoint Pro, Troy flip BUIS, Centurion Arms C4 Carbine Cutout rail w/Magpul XTM Hand Stop, Surefire G2 light in a Haley Thorntail Mount, B5 Bravo Stock on a BCM intermediate length RE w/A5H2 buffer and Vickers Blue Force Sling. It weighs 9.2 lbs. with no mag in it.

My AR15A4 clone weighs the same. 20" slightly heavier then Gov. profile barrel, free float tube/sleeve, A2 plastic handguards, A4 carry handle, Magpul MOE rifle stock and regular old nylon sling.

ETA; Aimpoint Pro.

NYH1.
    Last edited by NYH1; 10-09-18 at 14:33.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    As heavy as it needs to be, and no more. While I understand the 'light weight' builds as a thought experiment, I doubt their utility as a fighting rifle. There is a cost::benefit ratio at work when it comes to strength::weight ratios. It is hard to beat physics.

A basic carbine needs a sling, an optic, and a white light. A magpul 6920 so outfitted is only a bit heavier than 8-9lb. A 6720 is lighter still.

Full time hitters roll around with 416s that mount suppressors, LAMs, 1-6 optics, and IR/white lights. An acquaintance was saying that his rifle tipped the scales a touch over 14 lb. But, that's in a team environment, doing dedicated assaulter work, under NODs, etc. But, that's also what it takes to dominate in that arena. So, again, heavy as it needs to be.

As Mr.GoodTimes pointed out, most folks spend an awful lot of time messing around with / buying / talking about gear, and not nearly as much time planning (much less executing) their workouts. Or stacking cases of training ammo, laying out a training plan, and burning through it.

I'd happily trade 12 oz on my rifle for the cash it would take to shave that, and instead spend that on protein powder & ammo.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    If I may add, the one carbine I have that I would consider light weight still tips the scales at just shy of 8 lbs and that is without an optic, just fixed irons, FSB with tritium sight post, sling and white light.

While I love the "feel" and how that particular gun handles, I recognize that the added weight of optics, NOD's and the lasers needed to effectively utilize them, etc help one to be more efficient if they put in the time with the gear.

As others have said, just as heavy as it needs to be. Remember, mission drives gear. If the mission is to build the lightest fighting carbine possible, then that weapon will look a lot different then the one who's mission is defined as engaging, closing with and destroying the enemy.

Feedback Score
    I've got a Match HBAR that weighs in at 17.5# unloaded! Of course, 7.5# of that is lead. It's well balanced, but still a pain off-hand. The other positions are great though, as there is no perceived recoil.

Kidding aside, as mentioned, balance is important. I can maneuver my X95 around better than some of my lighter rifles because the grip is right at the balance point. Even to the point of being able to aim and fire one-handed with either hand.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Don't Tread On Me View Post
    While I love the "feel" and how that particular gun handles, I recognize that the added weight of optics, NOD's and the lasers needed to effectively utilize them, etc help one to be more efficient if they put in the time with the gear.

As others have said, just as heavy as it needs to be. Remember, mission drives gear. If the mission is to build the lightest fighting carbine possible, then that weapon will look a lot different then the one who's mission is defined as engaging, closing with and destroying the enemy.
    Although I agree that one cannot make light weight such a superceding consideration that it results in the detrimental omission of valuable accessories, one also has to keep in mind that not everyone is an "operator", and not everyone is built or in shape like the average soldier.

Case in point: I am constantly aware that my gear might end up in the hands of my girlfriend or her daughter, hence the desire to keep the weight to a manageable level for persons of relatively slight build. I am over six feet tall and outweigh either one of them by a factor of at least two. I can lug some hefty weaponry, but when a petite woman hopes to engage enemies with available equipment, lighter weight becomes suddenly essential.

My suggestion is a reasonable compromise between weight an utility: Have the optic; have the light; but utilize lightweight versions of same. Don't install an Aimpoint CompM4 when a T2 is lighter, for example. Install just enough rail to be useful. I'm using a slimline M-LOK handguard that weighs barely more than the plastic one. With a Surefire G2 and TangoDown foregrip on short rail sections, it's all I need to add in weight. Only the Meprolight M21 is beginning to seem like "more weight than necessary" given the existence of RMR's, Aimpoint T2's, and similar optics.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast