Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Rifle Weight

Feedback Score
    If you want a heavy rifle have any of you considered an M1 or M14? And they have a nice heavy robust stock that you can use to get a really tight sling (preferably a Carlos Hathcock leather sling). I sometimes wonder if Stoner wasted his time in trying to develop a lightweight rife to control the infantryman's half kilometer.

Feedback Score
    Just sold my Sig 716 because of how heavy it was (with a LaRue and scope). Sure, I coulda replaced the scope with an RDS but kinda defeats the purpose of the 308, IMO. Great gun, but couldn't get past the weight.

The epiphany moment was running that thing for a while then going to pick up my SBR and almost throwing it up in the air due to the weight delta. Not sure what the SBR weighs, but I'd guess 7ish lbs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Klingkong251 View Post
    Was talking to a buddy about the weight of his duty rifle and it got me thinking. Wanted to ask what do you guys think is a "practical" weight for an AR and at what weight would you consider it to be heavy or cumbersome. I have an suppressed SBR that comes in exactly at 8lbs when fully loaded.
    As you get much older the weight becomes an issue. My heavy barrel 20 inch upper is now impractical for field work so I build a light pencil barrel that suits me must fine. Your solution will not be right for all.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Nose heavy sucks indeed, but when you always run cans its hard to avoid on longer guns. ie 14.5+

I recently made s spreadsheet with all my weights, it was an interesting exercise.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Call me crazy, but I like a little weight on my rifles. I don't care to hump 10 miles with a 12-14 pound rifle, I'm only talking a little weight. 8 pounds is good for me. Even 9 pounds. Never had any problems in that range. I don't care for the majority of weight to be all front end, either, which explains why I don't shoot suppressed all of the time, or even most of the time. Maybe I'm weird, and I'm Ok with that.

Feedback Score
    I don't have an accurate scale in my home, but mine is probably 8 or 9 pounds. I don't really care anyway. Of course I don't want it to be too heavy, but I don't freak out going after every ounce saved either. I have the gun itself, an 11.3" .330 Blackout SBR, but then I started packing shit on it. That's where some people freak out getting into trouble.

I like red dot sights. The one I have is an old Aimpoint M4s. It's big, and heavy, but I have it, and it still works. It's built like a tank, and I'm good with it, so there's no need to change it out.

I also have a Surefire scout light on it. I like to see what I'm aiming at in the dark. It's of the utmost importance to be able to make a clear decision on if I need to fire or not.

I have a vertical foregrip, because it helps me to hold the damn thing better.

I put a Law tactical folder on it so I can fold it up, and stick it in a bag without taking it apart.

Then there's the 30 rounds of 110 gr Barnes Vor-Tx .300 Blackout in a Pmag.

Plus a sling.

I also have a 3X magnifier I just got that helps to pick up details at distance.

It all adds weight, but it all serves a purpose too.

Here's the deal. It doesn't bother me that I got a couple extra pounds of crap on there, because everything there, is there for a reason. I'm a big boy, I can carry a bullet launcher without falling down, and crying for help. If people are trying to kill me, and I have to shoot back, I don't think having to lug around a 8 or 9 pound weapon is gonna be what does me in...
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    To show my dedication to lighter weight, I just ordered a Colt 6720 pencil barrel M4. I'm thinking of outfitting it with a Trijicon RMR and the absolute lightest WML I can possibly get away with. I plan to keep the plastic furniture for weight savings, and it will not have any foregrips or other optics like magnifiers, etc. I may even stick to a polymer MagPul MBUS to keep all the doodads lightweight.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    I don’t know what it weighs, but my Colt 6720 with magpul handguards, scout light, and Aimpoint PRO sure feels light.
    That’s describes one of my go-to carbines. My fav is my AR6520 w/ fixed carrying handle though. I learned to shoot with an M-16A1 so iron sights just feel right to me.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I went from a 308AR to 7.62x39 for weight b/c I pretty much just hog and vote hunt now with thermal. Deer hunting is now just grabbing a couple of fat does so my freezer is full otherwise I'd of stayed with 308 sitting in trees. At the end of a 3 to 4 hour night the weight reduction is sooooo nice and raising the barrel to unload offhand shots at runners is waaaaay improved towards the end of the night. Apples to apples rifle, thermal, 20 rounds and a suppressor was a smidge over 4.5 lbs.dif Getting to 9 lbs was so worth it for me.
    Last edited by sasquatchoslav; 10-24-18 at 06:07.

Feedback Score
    i think if you have everything you need and your under 8.5 unloaded then you did a good enough job

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast