Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mk 262 - Military usage

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Mk 262 - Military usage

I’ve read a fair amount about the benefits of the Black Hills ammo for both longer range and shorter barrel work.

So who in the US military is using it? Why wasn’t/isn’t this rolled out instead of 855A1 or the never-ending search for a second intermediate cartridge?

I initially started this in the general board, and was kindly directed here...

It sounded like the issue was lack of barrier penetration?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    I’ve read a fair amount about the benefits of the Black Hills ammo for both longer range and shorter barrel work.

So who in the US military is using it? Why wasn’t/isn’t this rolled out instead of 855A1 or the never-ending search for a second intermediate cartridge?

Snipers and designated marksmen. Some shooting teams. Some doorkickers, mostly on a pilfered basis.

Barrier penetration is inferior to 855a1 and brown tip. Armor penetration is inferior to 855a1. It (262) is excellent for clear shots on unarmored targets, and effs dudes up with direct torso hits. It also suffers less velocity loss delta from short barrels. So, paradoxically, while 262 is well suited for precision rifles 18”-20”, it is also well suited for 10.3” guns. But many 10.3” users are issued 70tsx. For general use from 14.5” guns (and others), the average goon is best served by m855a1, as is the taxpayer. M855A1 is pretty badass, actually.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Snipers and designated marksmen. Some shooting teams. Some doorkickers, mostly on a pilfered basis.

Barrier penetration is inferior to 855a1 and brown tip. Armor penetration is inferior to 855a1. It (262) is excellent for clear shots on unarmored targets, and effs dudes up with direct torso hits. It also suffers less velocity loss delta from short barrels. So, paradoxically, while 262 is well suited for precision rifles 18”-20”, it is also well suited for 10.3” guns. But many 10.3” users are issued 70tsx. For general use from 14.5” guns (and others), the average goon is best served by m855a1, as is the taxpayer. M855A1 is pretty badass, actually.
    You are leaving out the very deadly 62gn MK318 MOD 1 SOST Barrier Blind round. Still being used in large quantities by USMC.
    Last edited by indianalex01; 08-28-18 at 21:18.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post

Because unless there is a precision requirement there is no need to run Mk262. The awesomeness of Mk262 is overblown, the only reason it got the reputation it got is because how poorly M855 performed in comparison, M855 isnt exactly hard to beat. M855A1, SOST, Browntip are all better choices if you dont need to shoot anything at long range.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Im no military guy, never claimed to be. But I would be more than happy to go to battle with BH Mk262. Velocity and accuracy is amazing.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    The awesomeness of Mk262 is overblown, the only reason it got the reputation it got is because how poorly M855 performed in comparison, M855 isnt exactly hard to beat.
    This is it, for sure. I've only ALMOST had a chance to see/get a few rounds of M855A1 on two occasions. So now matter how great it is, if you can't reliably get the stuff, who cares? That.. and isn't it loaded to nearly proof round pressures?

For most civilian use, any 77 gr OTM load is a great choice.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    This is it, for sure. I've only ALMOST had a chance to see/get a few rounds of M855A1 on two occasions. So now matter how great it is, if you can't reliably get the stuff, who cares? That.. and isn't it loaded to nearly proof round pressures?

For most civilian use, any 77 gr OTM load is a great choice.
    Mk318 SOST can be gotten. As good as M855A1 and better then 262 damage and penetration wise. Great accuracy as well.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by indianalex01 View Post
    Mk318 SOST can be gotten. As good as M855A1 and better then 262 damage and penetration wise. Great accuracy as well.
    I think Pappabear may have purchased some of that. We shot some magical ammo a while back... just for groups and stuff on his Faxon pencil barrel.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by indianalex01 View Post
    You are leaving out the very deadly 62gn MK318 MOD 1 SOST Barrier Blind round. Still being used in large quantities by USMC.
    I have no direct experience with it. The design seems good, and I’m glad USMC had the stones to adopt it.

I was really skeptical of 855a1 when it came out, but have come to like it.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Why dont we issue out guys tbbc or some other bonded round for general purpose.

Seems like an accurate bonded SP (tbbc or 75gr golddot)and AP ammo would satisfy everything... but bbonded stuff has lead and thats icky...
    At least thats what Ive gathered, please correct if wrong because Im curious.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast