Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mk 262 - Military usage

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I was going to mention Fusion but I have no idea how it performs out of different barrel lengths. Anyone have experience?
    Fusion expand at very low velocities. Down to 1400FPS. Great penetration and holds together well. It is loaded with Gold Dot bullet. It’s one of the best. I shot a spike a few years ago at 40 yards with 62gn Fusion out of a Colt 10.3. He ran 20 yards and dropped. Big blood trail and a through and through. Nice sized exit wound.
    Last edited by indianalex01; 08-31-18 at 00:43.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I was going to mention Fusion but I have no idea how it performs out of different barrel lengths. Anyone have experience?

Fusion MSR, tested by Eagle_19r on TOS with Silencerco Omega

Noveske 10.5” 2540 fps
    Faxon 11.5” 2622 fps
    BCM 12.5” 2746 fps
    BCM 14.5” 2742 fps

190% expansion when downloaded to 1700fps by Andrew of Chopping Block and M4C

Others on youtube have tested it and obtained similar velocities and terminal performance. Google “62 fusion gelatin”.

I’ve chrono’d it from 14.5” barrels and met, or exceeded the velocities I parroted above. You want the MSR, not the regular. It has staked primers, sealed cases, and higher velocities (though not higher advertised velocities). It’s not quite true 5.56, but it is not as anemic as regular Fusion or Gold Dot. I don’t shoot piles of it, but so far I have had no issues, for whatever that’s worth. I’ve probably shot a few hundred rnds.

Its worth noting that Fusion is also available in Fudd calibers, and in 7-08 works well on pigs and deer. I started using it when it was a new thing because it was cheaper than what I was using before in my bolt guns, and as good, or better.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Gold Dot/Fusion is inexpensive and is an excellent bullet. I would call it a comparatively good value. It is also better at barrier penetration than mk262. I’m sure they’d finally load it to 5.56 pressure if a military contract was in the balance.
    It is my understanding that Gold Dots under perform if pushed too fast which is why they are not loaded up to 5.56.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    It is my understanding that Gold Dots under perform if pushed too fast which is why they are not loaded up to 5.56.
    I don’t doubt you are right, because I really don’t know. Maybe I’ll see what twist my .22-250 is and see if I can figure out gel. What I have heard on the internet (I know, hearsay) is that Speer is concerned about cops putting 5.56 in crummy .223 guns. 75gr Gold Dot, for example is loaded quite weak. If 62 MSR can handle 2,700 fps, why does 75 GD have to move so slow?
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    I don’t doubt you are right, because I really don’t know. Maybe I’ll see what twist my .22-250 is and see if I can figure out gel. What I have heard on the internet (I know, hearsay) is that Speer is concerned about cops putting 5.56 in crummy .223 guns. 75gr Gold Dot, for example is loaded quite weak. If 62 MSR can handle 2,700 fps, why does 75 GD have to move so slow?
    The Gold Dot bullet that is also used in Fusion is not as velocity dependent. It don’t need 5.56 velocities. It is loaded at the velocities that give it best performance. 75gn GD is one devastating round. Made to shoot out of shorties as well. Virtually no head on impact. Great penetration and very accurate. There are so many great rounds. My top choices that I have experience with are
    MK318 SOST Mod 1, Gold Dot or Fusion 62gn (same bullet) Gold Dot 75gn and if I have to shoot through Glass or car doors then Federals Gem, the LE223T3 62 FB bonded SP. regarded as the best LE 223 load in the world. FBI loads in in 556. Known as FBI556T3. It’s a little hotter. It’s hunting bullet version is known as the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw.
    Last edited by indianalex01; 08-31-18 at 23:34.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    Double post
    Last edited by indianalex01; 09-04-18 at 13:21.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by osok1 View Post
    With the MK262 it also has to do with the Geneva convention and the use of hollow point ammo on human targets. It is specifically used by non conventional troops (ie delta and SF units as they are not conventional troops.) The MK262 is an awesome round on soft targets but that's about it.
    That is incorrect, Mk262 is a JAG approved round for land warfare under the HAGUE convention since the hollow point is manufacturing artifact from making a more accurate bullet, not for expansion. Hence why its called OTM not HPBT.

Feedback Score
    With the MK262 it also has to do with the Geneva convention and the use of hollow point ammo on human targets. It is specifically used by non conventional troops (ie delta and SF units as they are not conventional troops.) The MK262 is an awesome round on soft targets but that's about it.
    Last edited by paco ramirez; 09-16-18 at 01:34.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quit propagating bullshit about the Geneva Convention, and go read about it, and what it covers.
    RLTW

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Mk 262 - Military usage

Quit propagating bullshit about the Geneva Convention, and go read about it, and what it covers.
    Thank you! I don’t know why the Geneva convention has become a catch all for laws governing war.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by lahunter57; 09-16-18 at 09:07.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast