Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engraving question... Help me fix this Colt lower

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)

Engraving question... Help me fix this Colt lower

Okay, so I'm wondering if there is any way that the engraving on my Colt lower can be fixed. There are two issues:

As you can see, the laser engraving really did not come out very well. Comments about getting my money back from the engraver aside, it looks kind of crappy and it would be nice to sharpen it up, especially if it could be re-anodized to not be silver.

Finally, to make matters worse, the city is incorrect. Again, comments about the original engraver aside, I'd like to get that changed as well.

Since the engraving is not very deep, I'm thinking that a shallow rectangle could be engraved, which would be deep enough to obscure the current engraving, but shallow enough to allow further engraving. I would then have my name and City re engraved properly. Is this possible? Any ideas of who can do this?
    Thanks guys.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    who did that work?
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That doesn’t look like it was done with a laser engraver. The chipping looks like it was done by tooling and a CNC mill. You could have the area milled down, engraved again, and cerakoted. Or just camo that bad boy and forget all about it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I had a similar experience, I had to sand it down. Then I cerakoted the lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    I'm still waiting for an explanation as to what's wrong with the city...as that would determine my next step.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My first form 1 sbr lower looked like that. I had a trophy engraving store that’s local do it and they used a crude cnc router/Dremel. I just used some alumi black and never worried about it even though it was ugly.
    From that point forward I sent all my other form 1 lowers to ident marking to be professionally laser engraved. You might give them a call. I’ve always been happy with their work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    In 2014, a RDS and a WML are pretty much mandatory for a defensive long-gun.

Lights are way easier to fire up than NODs when rolling out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    You should have your balls removed for posting such stupidity. This is not the other site...

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JulyAZ View Post

I had a similar experience, I had to sand it down. Then I cerakoted the lower.

That looks great. How did you do that sanding?

As far as the city, yes it's the incorrect city.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post
    That looks great. How did you do that sanding?

Just a fine grit sand paper and taking my time, going slow.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post
    Is it a nearby City? Have you assembled the firearm, yet?

If the answers are "yes" and "no"...drive to that city, attach the upper to the lower, and you're done. Color the engraving with a sharpie, or aluminum black. Odds are nobody will ever notice it. I have one that looks similar, and I just let it ride.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post
    Is it a nearby City? Have you assembled the firearm, yet?

If the answers are "yes" and "no"...drive to that city, attach the upper to the lower, and you're done. Color the engraving with a sharpie, or aluminum black. Odds are nobody will ever notice it. I have one that looks similar, and I just let it ride.
    I would just prefer to have my home on the rifle. That means a lot to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast