Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: White light placement when running MAWL?

Feedback Score

White light placement when running MAWL?

I'm curious as to why every single one of BE Meyers' promotional photos of the MAWL include a white light mounted at the 3 o'clock position directly underneath it. I get that the idea is to obstruct the shooter's view on the left side as little as possible, but it seems as though the cost of that is a lower mounting position for the white light, which will cause more splash when shooting prone, as well as a right-side-heavy front end.

Wouldn't an alternative solution be to mount your white light at 10:30, which would raise it up 22.5 degrees and better balance out the rifle? Would that really obstruct your view downrange significantly? Another benefit of this would be presenting less of yourself around barriers, since the light would be closer to the top of your bore.

Also: If integrating both lights with the TAPS Pro, would it be possible to program one button to activate both your white light AND the MAWL's visible laser, and have the other button activate your IR laser/illuminator?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Tag for later
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Damn. Thats a lot of thinking in regards to a weapon setup... 22.5 degrees? Did you pull out a protractor?

I am just kidding. I have a lot of respect for someone that puts that much thought into a life saving platform. I'm a lefty so my MAWL goes on the left side of the platform. I run my weapon light on the right side so I can activate it with my support hand thumb. I typically (again platform/accessory dependent) run a touchpad at the 12 o'clock position for ambidextrous use, something the MAWL could be slightly better at. I do not run a touch pad on the MAWL, I use the integrated buttons. The biggest thing is being a lefty, I run an offset aim point at 45 degrees. The MAWL does obstruct the aim point's view to an extent, but nothing that would cause concern as far as a rapid engagement scenario. As far as making a weapon one side heavier than the other... the only time I've ever experienced that is running a underbarrel grenade launcher with a big bulky offset sight. The MAWL and a well-made light aren't going to create enough of a heavy-sided front end to truly make a difference that you'd notice. At least I don't think you would.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I’m too poverty stricken for a MAWL.... I have nothing to offer other than... good luck OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    I’m too poverty stricken for a MAWL.... I have nothing to offer other than... good luck OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was thinking the very same thing.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The MAWL is designed integrate the device controls into the users support hand grip. If you put a light at 10:30 you put a huge obstacle in the way of the grip and as a result eliminate the handiness of the low mounted controls on the 12 o’clock rail.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    The MAWL is designed integrate the device controls into the users support hand grip. If you put a light at 10:30 you put a huge obstacle in the way of the grip and as a result eliminate the handiness of the low mounted controls on the 12 o’clock rail.
    Well if I was going to run both of these systems I would probably buy the TAPS Pro as well, which would solve that issue.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    I don't know if we're using different terminology, but I in no way see how a Scout using a tail cap switch mounted in what you describe as 10:30 position would interfere with the operation of a MAWL. For a right handed shooter, the MAWL's controls would be on the top rail, with the body of the device on the right (3 o'clock) side of the rifle. If a Scout is mounted on the left (9 o'clock) rail offset to be in that 10:30 position, all you would have to move is your thumb to activate either device. Best part? No cables.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BallisticHarmony View Post
    Well if I was going to run both of these systems I would probably buy the TAPS Pro as well, which would solve that issue.
    Ok. Some prefer to maintain thumb over bore. If you don’t, rock on.

Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    I don't know if we're using different terminology, but I in no way see how a Scout using a tail cap switch mounted in what you describe as 10:30 position would interfere with the operation of a MAWL. For a right handed shooter, the MAWL's controls would be on the top rail, with the body of the device on the right (3 o'clock) side of the rifle. If a Scout is mounted on the left (9 o'clock) rail offset to be in that 10:30 position, all you would have to move is your thumb to activate either device. Best part? No cables.
    Dependjng in handguard length, you might not have enough real estate to hold behind the light and laser. Hence my thought of the 9-1030 mount hindering the grip.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I would think if you're going thumb over bore, you're in the 12" handguard game. Standard practice for these types of rifles now seems to be a side (palm on the 9 o'clock rail) grip on the handguard so the barrel is more or less in the middle of your palm. Dare I call it META in the parlance of our times.

The only way I see this as being awkward is if you're on a carbine length handguard, which if you can afford a MAWL why is that a problem? Maybe for a .gov or alphabet agency/group, but I think if they're on the MAWL they already have been down that longer handguard path.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast