Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Star BM - Anyone have any experience with these?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
    If your Machinists can write the programs to CNC parts out I do think you will have a market. I have a friend who would like to get his repaired as the hammer will not catch sometimes on the sear and I know he would pay for parts for his.
    The machinists are guys I found online, this is one: http://billdeshivs.com/bd/index.php?...1dglbqklu9pvm7

These guys have sears and hammers (used): https://www.apexgunparts.com/handguns/more/star.html

I imagine a gunsmith could take care of your friends problem, either without parts or with used parts.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

STAR ARRIVED TUESDAY PICKED IT UP TODAY

This is what it looked like straight out of the box, with no cleanup:

Attachment 53685

Attachment 53684

The bore is filthy, but looks like it has good rifling, we will see when I get it cleaned up.

It function tested okay, fed dummy rounds, locks back on mag spring, sear is solid (no push off).

Sights are drifted way left, I've worked with enough 'allied' officers that this doesn't alarm me much, we will see for sure after I clean it up and go to the range.

I'll wait until I shoot it, but I may buy another, just in case I want to dual wield.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 09-05-18 at 15:10.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    For sure wait until you have fired it.

I recently took one to the range,
    POI was about six inches left and four inches low at ten yards from POA.

Every magazine I got one FTE, some times two, out of half a dozen mags.

This is not a tap rack bang MF.

This is a lock the slide, pull mag out, close slide, rack slide, put in new mag or reset top round in current mag, replace mag, rack slide until you can shoot again deal.

Back in the mid 90s I had an alloy frame P14 and a SS P14 Limited that would run like a Swiss watch, for about 1500 rounds, then start this, bend or replace extractor, wash, rinse, repeat.

I am currently at a point in my life where I like to take a gun, shoot it a ton, and not screw around with parts, reliability, etc.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Took it to the range today.

I didn't find out much about accuracy due to the fact that, for me anyways, the front sight entirely filled the rear sight. So at 25 yards my focus was keeping the front sight level with the back and making sure no light peaked around the edges. As a result rounds were all over the place.

After shooting ten rounds I moved into about ten yards and pretty much just put the gun in the middle of the black - I was using a stick on action pistol 'X' rinf which is 4 inches in diameter - at 10 yards I was able to hammer them all in there which doesn't say that much about the pistol's accuracy.

I got bored with that after about 25 rounds so moved over to the plate rack. Did a couple runs at 10 and 15 - not using a timer, but not slow - and it hit okay. At 20 I started wasting bullets.

I think I'm going to have to buy another rear sight and open it up a scoosh. As I mentioned in another post the rear sight was drifted to the left, I drifted it center and as well as I could tell this seemed to be on. The sight seemed to hold nicely in the centered position, but it didn't take much effort to push it past center. As a temp fix I degreased the parts and used blue loctite. If the new sight isn't tighter, I think I'll just use green sleeve locker on it and see if it holds.

I had had field stripped the pistol to generally clean it and remove the magazine disconnector. The barrel showed little wear from the bushing, and the slide rails didn't seem to indicate a lot of use. The bore was filthy, I didn't work that hard cleaning it, but the bore still looks dark in it's first third. I think it was shot little, and I wonder if it had ever been cleaned.

As far as functioning, I cant complain. I was shooting my 115gr JHP loads which use 4.9 Titegroup, very light crimp, 1.130 OAL. They are kind of long and I anticipated problems feeding, none materialized.

I'm left-handed, and this thing has a pretty long slide stop pin, as a result I pushed the slide stop out enough to cause the only malfunctions I had. This occasionally happens to me on 1911 style pistols, I generally get a new plain jane slide stop and flatten the end until it is flush with the frame, saving the nice one in case I ever get rid of the pistol. I'll probably just flatten the one I have on this pistol.

Overall, I'm happy with this little thing.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 09-07-18 at 18:24.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123