View Poll Results: How is the Vortex, regardless of price? (Multi-choice/Public Voting!)

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • The glass is not related to the price, it's nearly as clear as S&B!

3 9.68%
  • The glass is what you'd expect from a $1000-1400 scope. "meh".

10 32.26%
  • The glass is "$2500 league", but the rest of the scope...meh

0 0%
  • The scope is as good in every way as those costing 2x as much!

19 61.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does the Vortex Razor HD2 (now -E) 1-6 "perform above its price"?

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    I think the glass is on par with the majority of higher priced optics out there and the eye box is extremely forgiving. The weight doesn't bother me at all. I carried a SAW for a long time, so a heavier carbine or SPR is no big deal. The only thing I wish it had is zero stop turrets, but that is just nitpicking.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I think a zero stop with capped turrets may be redundant and adding the mechanism will make the turrets bigger. It makes sense for exposed turrets like on larger long-range scopes designed for dialing bullet drop or even a “hybrid” FFP scope like the NX8.

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by crosseyedshooter View Post
    I think a zero stop with capped turrets may be redundant and adding the mechanism will make the turrets bigger. It makes sense for exposed turrets like on larger long-range scopes designed for dialing bullet drop or even a “hybrid” FFP scope like the NX8.
    The military contract Razors have the zero stop, but I also get your point. For me it is a nice to have option, especially if I decide to not use the caps, like I have in the past.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by drtywk View Post
    The military contract Razors have the zero stop, but I also get your point. For me it is a nice to have option, especially if I decide to not use the caps, like I have in the past.
    I like the Razor capped turrets for their low-profile. I've never seen a US-made .mil Razor. I just wonder how much larger a zero-stop capped turret will be. It'd be great if you could grab a picture sometime. Another option could be a locking elevation turret with zero-stop like on their AMG scope.
    Last edited by crosseyedshooter; 09-06-18 at 23:49.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I want one of these even more now that I have a URG-I.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    I've never seen a US-made .mil Razor.
    Are those only the higher magnification AMG models? Or is there a US made 1-6 lurking out there somewhere?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drtywk View Post
    The military contract Razors have the zero stop,
    Should have quoted this post instead. Oops...
    "There is no nice way to arrest a potentially dangerous, combative suspect. The police are our bodyguards; our hired fists, batons and guns. We pay them to do the dirty work of protecting us. The work we're too afraid, too unskilled, or too civilized to do ourselves. We expect them to keep the bad guys out of our businesses, out of our cars, out of our houses, and out of our faces. We just don't want to see how its done."
    -Charles H. Webb, Ph.D.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    I’ve got a new Vortex Gen II-E in the EE if anyone’s interested.

When you get down to it, the only consistent negative feedback on the Razor is weight and the new version (~21 oz) is only four ounces more than the lightest-in-class scopes (17 oz K16i and NX8). The savings you get with the Razor, assuming it meets all your usage requirements, can buy a spare Aimpoint. For some people, that four ounce difference could be a requirement and they’re willing to pay more or compromise eyebox to get it.

ETA: I just weighed an NX8 and Razor Gen II-E on my digital food scale and the NX8 was 17.5 oz with battery while the Razor was 21.8 oz with battery.

21.8 oz with battery. Did you include any flip up covers when you weight the scopes? While the Vortex flip up covers are very durable compared to others, they are definately heavier. For my needs, I will still take the Kahles 16i above all to about 400yds , after that I don't care, but then there are better but heavier options out there.
    Last edited by Biggy; 09-07-18 at 11:08.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    21.8 oz with battery. Did you include any flip up covers when you weight the scopes? While the Vortex flip up covers are very durable compared to others, they are definately heavier. For my needs, I will still take the Kahles 16i above all to about 400yds , after that I don't care, but then there are better but heavier options out there.
    Those weights are without any flip caps.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I'm very heavily considering this optic. I am curious what others who have owned them, and other LPVO's have to say. Vortex has claimed that it optically performs along side the Mk6. I had a MK6, and the glass was phenomenal. It was better than phenomenal. It gathered light just as well as my K16i at dusk, with 4mm less objective!
    I had one example of each, more than 4 years ago. For those single examples, the Razor was far behind the Mk6 in optical quality. Like an entire class down. My Mk6 was also great, the Razor was "meh" and behind not only the Mk6 but also a VX-6 1-6x I had at the same time.

Sometimes companies improve a product's quality without renaming it, and sometimes there are single bad examples, so I can't say what's true of one you might buy today. At the time, the optical quality and weight compelled me to use the excellent resale value and sell it.

There can also be differences in how people evaluate resolution and optical quality. I have never found a Nightforce NXS that impressed me, while many people think they are very good. I've found Steiner Military and Leupold Mark 4/6 series to be far ahead in optical quality, but that doesn't mean everyone would evaluate them the same way. By the way, this has involved hours of evaluation at a range of distances up to a mile in various lighting and weather conditions, but that doesn't mean I'm perfect or the final word on XYZ scope quality. Also, optical quality is not the last word, because durability, repeatability and feature set all matter a lot, and those are all positive for both Nightforce and the Razor. Best bet is for you to find a way to try out the scope for yourself.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast