View Poll Results: How is the Vortex, regardless of price? (Multi-choice/Public Voting!)

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • The glass is not related to the price, it's nearly as clear as S&B!

3 9.68%
  • The glass is what you'd expect from a $1000-1400 scope. "meh".

10 32.26%
  • The glass is "$2500 league", but the rest of the scope...meh

0 0%
  • The scope is as good in every way as those costing 2x as much!

19 61.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does the Vortex Razor HD2 (now -E) 1-6 "perform above its price"?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    I had one example of each, more than 4 years ago. For those single examples, the Razor was far behind the Mk6 in optical quality. Like an entire class down. My Mk6 was also great, the Razor was "meh" and behind not only the Mk6 but also a VX-6 1-6x I had at the same time.

Sometimes companies improve a product's quality without renaming it, and sometimes there are single bad examples, so I can't say what's true of one you might buy today. At the time, the optical quality and weight compelled me to use the excellent resale value and sell it.

There can also be differences in how people evaluate resolution and optical quality. I have never found a Nightforce NXS that impressed me, while many people think they are very good. I've found Steiner Military and Leupold Mark 4/6 series to be far ahead in optical quality, but that doesn't mean everyone would evaluate them the same way. By the way, this has involved hours of evaluation at a range of distances up to a mile in various lighting and weather conditions, but that doesn't mean I'm perfect or the final word on XYZ scope quality. Also, optical quality is not the last word, because durability, repeatability and feature set all matter a lot, and those are all positive for both Nightforce and the Razor. Best bet is for you to find a way to try out the scope for yourself.
    My impression of the MK6 was stellar as well. Gathered light as well as my K16i at dusk. I compared them head to head one in each hand. My 1-4 NXS gathered light well, but had a LOT of what I term chromatic abberation, which I define as "purple haze around any sharp edges". The K16i has this too, but less so. The MK6 was almost absent this abberation. No hands on with the steiner.

I am leaning hard toward the NX8 due to footprint, though. You can always use it at 6x on bad days for the exit pupil (yay FFP), or 8x on sunny days from the bench, which I enjoy, too.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Well it definitely performs above this price. Looks like Eurooptic is trying to dump their "heavy" Razors

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Well it definitely performs above this price. Looks like Eurooptic is trying to dump their "heavy" Razors

You can probably buy the aluminum parts from Vortex to turn that into close to what the "E" model is.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Is weight the only difference between the two? Also which reticle is “better” (BDC or VMR 2, will be on an AR10)? Sorry to derail!
    Last edited by Quinn; 09-26-18 at 09:24.
    "Guns attract retards like moths to a porch light."-markm

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    Is weight the only difference between the two? Also which reticle is “better” (BDC or VMR 2, will be on an AR10)? Sorry to derail!
    Yes, weight is the only difference. About 3ish oz. This is personal preference, but I only use MIL reticles at this point.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    The weight difference stems from removing unnecessary material from various parts of the elevation/windage/illumination adjustment dials and internal mechanisms. One of the vortex reps listed all of it on another forum, but I don't know where that post is located any longer.

Like Furby, I only use mil reticles. The Jm1 is tailored to specific loads. They have a download that shows some additional detail, including what the hash marks correspond to with different ammo, but it's all theoretical - your ammo/weather conditions/velocity are always going to be different.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Thanks for replies. Will probably purchase one from EuroOptics while on sale. Unfortunately they only have MOA on sale. If I go with the VMR2 reticle will those hash marks throw me off at 1x with both eyes open? This will be my first foray into LPVO.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    IIRC, those are priced below dealer wholesale. Awesome deal if someone is looking for one.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    IIRC, those are priced below dealer wholesale. Awesome deal if someone is looking for one.
    $950 for those of you without a mil/le discount. Euro has moa, mrad, and jm1 for sale at that price Im pretty sure.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    $950 is VMR2 MOA and JM1 BDC only

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast