View Poll Results: Which LPVO would you choose in the $2000 range?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kahles K16i

15 71.43%
  • Nightforce NX8

5 23.81%
  • Other (please specify)

1 4.76%

Thread: Kahles K16i vs. Nightforce NX8

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)

Kahles K16i vs. Nightforce NX8

I'm getting ready to drop the hammer on a LPVO and have narrowed my choices to the Kahles K16i and Nightforce NX8. I am primarily looking for something that is light weight with a small footprint with a price tag in the $2000 neighborhood. I'd like to hear from people that have had both, which they would choose and why.

It will be going on a 16" LW carbine that I want to keep LW and fast handling, it would be a "go-to-gun" for training/SD rather than a toy or precision weapon. As I mentioned above light weight with a small footprint is what I'm after, but quality of glass is just as important maybe even more, so a couple more ounces and an inch or two inches isn't a deal breaker. It's not that I'm only considering those two, those are just the two I've narrowed down to in my research that fit the criteria. I have considered the ATACR 1-8 but for this exercise the two grand neighborhood is where I'll be staying (at least for now), I'll end up with a ATACR too but it'll probably be a 2.5x10x42 and will be above a different rifle with a separate purpose.

I started this quest about a year ago, had pretty much settled on the Kahles K16i and have been saving my nickles toward that end, in the meantime Nightforce throws a monkey in the wrench and releases their 1-8's so naturally I have to take a look. The NXS with it's smaller footprint, weight and price tag along with an additional 2x caught my eye. That is the reason for these specific choices. I hope that clears my goal and reasoning up.
    Last edited by titsonritz; 09-01-18 at 16:36.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What rifle will this be used on? That’s a large piece of the puzzle. I own a k16i with sm-1 reticle and a NF 1-8 ATACR. Several friends have the nx8. Between the nx8 and k16i, I would choose the k16i. It has better glass, much bigger eyebox, and no peripheral distortion. The footprint of the nx8 is amazing, best in class. Optically I prefer the k16i if you’re only considering those two. I recommend you also consider the ATACR 1-8.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    What rifle will this be used on? That’s a large piece of the puzzle. I own a k16i with sm-1 reticle and a NF 1-8 ATACR. Several friends have the nx8. Between the nx8 and k16i, I would choose the k16i. It has better glass, much bigger eyebox, and no peripheral distortion. The footprint of the nx8 is amazing, best in class. Optically I prefer the k16i if you’re only considering those two. I recommend you also consider the ATACR 1-8.

Moved to the OP

Last edited by titsonritz; 04-04-19 at 22:21.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would choose k16i for those parameters. The only place IMO where it falls short is it’s footprint. It’s longer than the nx8. But the optical attributes are worth the length. And it’s light weight.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    My preference is for the ATACR 1-8x, but after reading your last post, the Khales would be your best option. I do like the NX8, but the eyebox can be a bit finicky.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by drtywk View Post
    My preference is for the ATACR 1-8x, but after reading your last post, the Khales would be your best option. I do like the NX8, but the eyebox can be a bit finicky.
    I was wondering if that was going to happen so I moved that post up to the OP.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Where does the Vortex fall? I've honestly found footprint to "matter" more in perceptible handling that pure weight. My k16i ibadlands, with tenaebrex was similar in weight to my NXS 1-4 in a geissele with aadlands, but the k16i setup felt like an elephant on the gun in comparison.

The vortex is low pro turrets and shorter than k16i.

How does it stack up? I know it's a $1200 street retail scope, but many say it punches above that.
    Last edited by WS6; 09-01-18 at 19:20.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Where does the Vortex fall? I've honestly found footprint to "matter" more in perceptible handling that pure weight. My k16i ibadlands, with tenaebrex was similar in weight to my NXS 1-4 in a geissele with aadlands, but the k16i setup felt like an elephant on the gun in comparison.

The vortex is low pro turrets and shorter than k16i.

How does it stack up? I know it's a $1200 street retail scope, but many say it punches above that.
    It certainly has possibilities it just that the last Vortex I had was a so-so tank and left a bad taste in mouth, I know they have improved massively since then and have lightened some with this latest generation.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    The Razor Gen II-E is a solid option and the older version is getting a lot of use in .mil circles. It is going to be heavier than both of your other options, but the glass is excellent and it is built like a tank. I have a non-E version sitting in a Geissele 2.04 mount and it is one of my favorite LPVO's. The dot is super bright in full sun and the eye box is extremely forgiving.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell