Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long do steel plates last?

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)

How long do steel plates last?

I really did not know where to put this other than maybe training and tactics but I thought I would start here. Im sorry if this is in the wrong place but I know you guys are knowledgeable in these areas.

Looking into steel plates, there are few options available. AR450, AR500 & AR600 steel. Thickness ranges from 3/8", 1/2", 5/8 and 3/4". If your wanting a steel target that can take 5.56, 7.62, 6.5 6.8 at ranges between 10-50 yards possibly even out to 75 yards and guaranteed to last around 500,000+ rounds of typical target ammo(if that is even possible) what would be the best solution? The cost of AR600 vs AR500 is noticeable just as the difference between 3/8" to 1/2" to 5/8" to 3/4", but not alarmingly significant and the weight of 3/8" vs 5/8" is around 5 pounds (based on 18"x28" plate) I am trying to find the "best bang for the buck" solution. Obviously 3/4" AR450 is a lot cheaper than 3/4" AR600 so I need to find some middle ground.

What kind of life expectancy should I expect from a 3/8" steel plate vs a 1/2" etc.?

The reason I am asking-
    I am looking into having steel targets made and I would need to buy basically a 96"x60" plate and have the individual plates water jet cut.

Thanks for your help.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't know what the limit is, but we have 6" 3/8 plates that have been pounded for years on our range plate rack by handgun rounds. Every match they see a hundred rounds each at 10 yards.

My personal 3/8" IPSC sized steel has seen an easy 20,000 rounds of 5.56 at distances from 25 yards to 200 yards and it's barely dinged up.

All AR 500 that was plasma cut.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a 3/8 AR500 2/3 size IDPA target. It has several thousand rounds on it. M193 at close range will start to chew it up. Id say stay at least 25 yards, maybe a little further if using 20+ inch barrels, and you should be fine.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    If your wanting a steel target that can take 5.56, 7.62, 6.5 6.8 at ranges between 10-50 yards possibly even out to 75 yards and guaranteed to last around 500,000+ rounds of typical target ammo(if that is even possible) what would be the best solution?

What kind of life expectancy should I expect from a 3/8" steel plate vs a 1/2" etc.?

You are looking to introduce a lot of variables that are going to be important.

First and foremost, shooting .308/ or 6.anything at 10 yards is going to divot and chew up steel. Thick stuff will last longer, but that isn't the issue really. Shooting up close, and lets face it, 10 yards is super close, each crater you make is starting to introduce the possibility and probability of pieces coming back towards you. The more cratered, the higher the likely-hood of personnel impact issues.

Once upon a time a time a jacket came off a FMJ and stuck a guy in the neck at roughly 35 yards while shooting pistol. When I say stuck, I mean it stuck in and spurted a bit when removed. That steel was not in bad shape, and it was "only" a pistol ricochet.... Be careful, your bang for the buck may be better served with cheaper targets which are more disposable.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    You are looking to introduce a lot of variables that are going to be important.

First and foremost, shooting .308/ or 6.anything at 10 yards is going to divot and chew up steel. Thick stuff will last longer, but that isn't the issue really. Shooting up close, and lets face it, 10 yards is super close, each crater you make is starting to introduce the possibility and probability of pieces coming back towards you.
    That's something I didn't think about so I am glad you brought it up, let me ask you a question, what is the best distance to shoot at a steel target that will eliminate or at least have a 1% chance of personal impact? Lets reduce a lot of factors and limit the ammo to just 5.56 target ammo.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    5.56 can actually be more damaging to steel than .308. It's all about velocity. You do not want to shoot steel inside 100 yards with 5.56 if you can help it. Like Stickman mentioned, as soon as the plate has divots you risk bullets and/or pieces of the plate coming back at you.

9mm or similar pistol calibers are fine much closer, but again, avoid shooting steel that has divots or craters. I have been hit by spall and jackets at 25 yards. For those of you into subguns and subsonic ammo, it also has a tendency to ricochet due to the low velocity.

I would always use at least 1/2" ar500 for rifle calibers and at least 3/8" ar500 for pistol calibers.

Minimum distance is 100 yards for rifle, but you will get cratering with m193 even though it doesn't have the penetrator found in m855. 150 yards or even 200 basically eliminates all cratering unless you're shooting a super hot caliber like 260 rem or 6.5 creedmoor, where I'd go 200 yards minimum.

My local range no longer has any steel at 100 because it gets chewed up and people do stupid things when it's not theirs. The 200 yard steel takes a beating, especially from the 6.x stuff. 300-600 is all in good shape, with the stands/hangers the only things that continually wear out.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    5.56 can actually be more damaging to steel than .308. It's all about velocity.
    This is it. .308 doesn't do sh#t to armor.

If you have close up steel. Get the slant gongs in .308. The increase the effective thickness of the steel do to the geometry of the line of fire.... so a 3/8" AR500 will hold up closer to a 1/2" piece that's perpendicular to the shooter.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I see a lot of guys shooting 5.56mm at steel inside 100 yds....well inside. Does frangible ammo negate the possibility for ricochet or steel spatter? Interested, because I, too, have caught some shrapnel in the arm shooting at steel.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowCommand View Post
    I see a lot of guys shooting 5.56mm at steel inside 100 yds....well inside. Does frangible ammo negate the possibility for ricochet or steel spatter? Interested, because I, too, have caught some shrapnel in the arm shooting at steel.
    Frangibles work good. Get the ones with some sort of thin jacket so you don't ruin your barrel. Slant steel works fine with regular bullets too because it directs the spall into the ground. Shooting M193 at any steel 100 or in is going to brutalize the gong.
    Last edited by markm; 09-26-18 at 16:43.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The slant is critical for inside 50 yard shooting. Also, I would add as Stickman suggested , a lot of variables. If your target has the ability to swing and not take the hit full on without giving it will be more tolerant of a good beating. We have pounded my slants so much that the slant has a bow to it now.

If you buy good steal, it will last a very very long time. I have stuff that is 10+ years old, I just replace the bolts or hanging adapters that wear out. When I first got my steal, I loaded 5 XM193 from about 30 yards. I was proud of my rapid fire group, still measurable today

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast