Page 75 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast

Thread: BRT OPTIMUM Barrels

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I pin gage every barrel I use to build so its not like it will be a guarded secret, it would just be nice to know before buying it.
    Same here, I feel exactly the same way.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Let's put a little perspective on this.

First of all, there is a world of difference between somebody posting random measurements on the interwebs and a manufacturer posting "official specs".

Go ask Porsche how much timing advance they use on their 911 GT3 at wide open throttle.

Better yet, ask Magpul for the polymer formulation and glass fiber fill they use on their Gen 3 PMAGS.

That is information they simply will not provide.

Secondly, required port sizes to achieve a target gas drive can vary slightly between different styles of blanks and rifling profiles.

An 076 port in one blank style may need an 073 port in another blank style to cycle identically.

Thirdly, port size development takes an incredible amount of time and money to do properly.

We consider it a competitive advantage that we actually pay attention to getting the Gas Drive just right, unlike many other companies.

We aren't about to give that information away to any would be competitors to just copy our port sizes.

Fourthly, we utilize several proprietary gas lengths, so any port sizes would have no comparative references anyhow.

What we do provide is guidance that our HF CL barrels are tuned for mixed use with and without a suppressor.

This means un-suppressed levels of Gas Drive that are lower than normally found, but we aren't targeting the smallest gas ports that border on failure if conditions aren't perfect.

We test with PMC Bronze as the lowest power ammo that is expected to run reliably.

There shouldn't be any expectation that extra weak / steel case ammo will run with acceptable reliability.

We also provide guidance to use lighter buffers like CAR/H when un-suppressed and recommend swapping to heavier H2/H3 buffers when suppressed for optimal function.

Our barrels strike a balance that works great for our target user base.

Trust us and buy with confidence.

If for some reason the barrel doesn't meet your expectations, let us know and we'll take care of it to your satisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    I've noticed that Clint is pretty reticent to reveal gas port size from previous posts. And I have to say that I'm puzzled by it.

I've seen 2 reasons listed by barrel manufacturers for not wanting to reveal port size: first, that they may change the port size at some point in a future production run and don't want outdated info out there and second, that the information is proprietary.

Neither of these reasons seems to stand the test of logic in my mind, however. If a manufacturer changes port sizes in the future, they can just say so in the product description. And as to proprietary info, it's not like any competitor couldn't just buy a barrel and immediately then know what the port size is, no?

I'm sure there's something I'm missing. But I will add myself to the list of people who very much appreciate manufacturers who list their port sizes, among other specs, so I know what I'm buying.
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I pin gage every barrel I use to build so its not like it will be a guarded secret, it would just be nice to know before buying it.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    A 12.5 Suppressed Use would be cash money.
    Yes

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post

First of all, there is a world of difference between somebody posting random measurements on the interwebs and a manufacturer posting "official specs".

Go ask Porsche how much timing advance they use on their 911 GT3 at wide open throttle.

Better yet, ask Magpul for the polymer formulation and glass fiber fill they use on their Gen 3 PMAGS.

Secondly, required port sizes to achieve a target gas drive can vary slightly between different styles of blanks and rifling profiles.

An 076 port in one blank style may need an 073 port in another blank style to cycle identically.

Thirdly, port size development takes an incredible amount of time and money to do properly.

We consider it a competitive advantage that we actually pay attention to getting the Gas Drive just right, unlike many other companies.

We aren't about to give that information away to any would be competitors to just copy our port sizes.

Fourthly, we utilize several proprietary gas lengths, so any port sizes would have no comparative references anyhow.

What we do provide is guidance that our HF CL barrels are tuned for mixed use with and without a suppressor.

This means un-suppressed levels of Gas Drive that are lower than normally found, but we aren't targeting the smallest gas ports that border on failure if conditions aren't perfect.

We test with PMC Bronze as the lowest power ammo that is expected to run reliably.

There shouldn't be any expectation that extra weak / steel case ammo will run with acceptable reliability.

We also provide guidance to use lighter buffers like CAR/H when un-suppressed and recommend swapping to heavier H2/H3 buffers when suppressed for optimal function.

If for some reason the barrel doesn't meet your expectations, let us know and we'll take care of it to your satisfaction.
    I don't blame you.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thanks, Clint. Knew I was missing something. Your proprietary gas lengths do change the equation quite a bit. Although I appreciate that you have put serious time and effort into developing the gas port sizing, and can certainly empathize with not wanting competitors to benefit from your efforts and expense, I still don't see how you expect to keep that information proprietary when that information can be had for the price of a barrel or the time it takes to do a Google search. There are several threads on TOS discussing your port sizing with pinned sizing information freely shared. So, why not share it with your customers before they make their purchase then? It's not like the information will remain secret either way, however by sharing it customers feel like they're being treated in an open way, and this serves to build further trust and loyalty. Just my 2 cents.

Please understand, I'm not trying to beat up on you as I appreciate the service you provide to the AR world, and the critical niche your very smartly developed products fill.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    With our button rifled PRO barrels, we do provide the gas port sizes right in the descriptions.

That port size info was added at the end of last year based on similar feedback.

The PRO barrels use common configurations and are tuned for normal un-suppressed use.

There's no real "secret sauce" in those other than being a good, solid barrel for general purpose use.

The 16" PRO is 073 MID.

The 10.5" PRO is 071 CAR.

Black River Tactical

Feedback Score
    13.9 HF still 2+ weeks?

Feedback Score
    No more notation about preorder. Are these barrels set to start shipping?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Existing Pre-Orders will all ship out this week.

New orders will go out ASAP once all pre-orders are complete.
    Black River Tactical

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

100%

After several years and a career change, my BRT barrel keeps working fabulously, with silly accuracy/precision for the profile and weight.

Dirty industry secret, how many barrels from many known manufacturers do not exactly meet spec for GP size? More than one would think.

Other variables like putting a chamfer or ANY non-orthogonal angle into the GP reference to the bore-centerline all have a huge impact on GP size, even on the exact same blank.

Keep up the great work, brother.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Page 75 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast