Page 33 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Thread: BRT OPTIMUM Barrels

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Clint total side bar, but thoughts on port size for 11.5” cut down SOCOM barrel? 50/50 suppressed use.

Will .0625 run?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @jpmuscle

I bet it would run based off of the below vid of a guy testing the Sionics ERGP 11.5 barrel. I could be wrong but believe .0625 is the port size on that barrel.

The guy tests both suppressed and unsuppressed with several ammo types and buffer set up

I am sure Clint has info as well, just a good short video showing actual testing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USKt2byOuFc

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Yea I’m tracking. My reading says it should shoot well.

So, .0625 it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    14” cycles blanks with yellow BFA, H1, and Sprinco Hot White, in case anyone’s wondering.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Good info.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    14” cycles blanks with yellow BFA, H1, and Sprinco Hot White, in case anyone’s wondering.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Was NP3 considered for barrel extensions? If so why did you choose NIB. Thanks

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    These are some excellent points, so let's parse through them.

Its true; a light rifle will tend to move around more than a mid-weight rifle.

A brake tends to add a little gas drive, while a light weight reciprocating assembly requires less gas drive.

The combination of the two points to a smaller port size.

There are many factors to consider and we don't want to sacrifice reliability just to get ultra light recoil.

Again, the standard gassing is setup for full weight reciprocating parts with an A5 buffer.

Overly strong springs are generally not helpful with our barrels.

Yes, a strong spring can absorb more recoil energy, but then it returns more energy during counter-recoil, producing higher bolt closing speeds, more muzzle dip and bolt bounce.

OPTIMUM gas drive does not provide for gobs of extra energy to work extra power springs with weak ammo.

The ejection pattern is interesting but also one of the intentional results of our configuration.

OPTIMUM is relatively insensitive to ammo selection.

The ejection angle and cyclic speed with different ammo changes relatively little compared to other configurations like 16" MID or CAR.

This is a good thing, as we'd like any ammo to run nicely and don't always get to choose the loadings ( issued, availablity, stockpile, etc)

Due to proper timing, OPTIMUM is relatively sensitive to changes in reciprocating mass or buffer weight.

This is also a good thing, as we can generally control the buffers and carriers used.

Shorter gas systems show a variable amount of unlocking friction.

With them, lighter buffer unlocks sooner under more friction, so it gets lets impulse to cycle, but needs less due to the lighter weight.

Similarly, a heavier buffer unlocks later under less friction, so it gets more impulse to cycle, but needs more due the higher weight.

This effect is somewhat self defeating when heavier buffers don't slow down the action as much as expected.

With OPTIMUM, the unlocking friction is low and relatively constant, so a lighter buffer cycles faster and a heaver buffer cycles slower, as expected without the variable unlocking friction forces.

The lightweight reciprocating assembly and aggressive brake need a bit smaller port to run best.
    Just reread this whole thread. This post here is Gold. I can’t tell you how much I like what you are doing. All the stuff I have messed with over the years tunning ARs are just band aids. This right here is how to do it right.

The principle of lengthening the gas port relative to the barrel length to not only to replicate the power/dwell time of the 20” rifle length gas but to also scale it to the point where the gas port accesses the pressure curve at the right spot is the missing link in my puzzle. Sure you can restrict the gas port on a 16” mid length but the BCG is still being pressurized at higher pressures inside the barrel which nets earlier BCG charging and movement/unlock. This helps to understand why it is possible to restrict the gas port on 16” mids and still run LMT e carriers with heavy A5 buffers and SpringCo green. It gets to the point of absurdity compensating for the less than ideal gas port sizing AND port location of most barrels, which also comes at the expense of high cost, increased barrel dip when return battery and overall weight.
    Last edited by jerrysimons; 08-25-19 at 20:06.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    A couple questions, Clint:

1) Would the following set-up be feasible? 11.5 EXC tapered shoulder + 5/8-24 Cherry Bomb/Plan B + YHM Turbo K

2) Can we expect to see a 12.5" BRT?

3) What are your general thoughts on 10.3/10.5" CAR systems? Any particular reason you haven't offered one?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Clint, does your Covert Comp appreciably increase gas drive? I am currently running one on an 11.3" carbine gas 5.56, and am a fan.

Thanks
    Andy

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    No they don't seem to add much Gas Drive.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Clint, does your Covert Comp appreciably increase gas drive? I am currently running one on an 11.3" carbine gas 5.56, and am a fan.

Thanks
    Andy
    Black River Tactical

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Yes, the SBT/CB/PlanB/TurboK is going to be an awesome combination.

We may do a 12.5/13" EXC if there is interest.

Many other companies produce a variety of configurations, seemingly without rhyme or reason.

We only offer OPTIMUM configurations.

The 10.x" CAR configuration is a little short for general purpose unsuppressed use.
    The 11.5 CAR is better for that.

We do offer the 9" PDW for something more compact than 11.5".

Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    A couple questions, Clint:

1) Would the following set-up be feasible? 11.5 EXC tapered shoulder + 5/8-24 Cherry Bomb/Plan B + YHM Turbo K

2) Can we expect to see a 12.5" BRT?

3) What are your general thoughts on 10.3/10.5" CAR systems? Any particular reason you haven't offered one?

Thanks
    Black River Tactical

Page 33 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast