Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cam pin wear

Feedback Score

cam pin wear

https://imgur.com/a/ywtf7nK

I have this POF roller cam pin. It seems to be wearing faster than my other cam pins in other BCGs/rifles. Usually I can kinda feel a groove on the cam pin along where the finish is worn. With this it feels like a crack.

How do you know it's time to replace a cam pin?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That roller doesn't do anything. I'd just install a standard milspec cam pin and rock on.

Feedback Score
    I know the roller won't do anything for the cam pin but it should reduce wear on the upper. Either way, I think you're right. I will just replace it because this is wearing way too fast.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Good idea. If a cam pin breaks in the wrong place, you can get a kaboom. I had an AR-10 do this to me. Wrecked the upper receiver and was not an enjoyable experience for me.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wow View Post
    I know the roller won't do anything for the cam pin but it should reduce wear on the upper. Either way, I think you're right. I will just replace it because this is wearing way too fast.
    It just seems like another solution in search of a problem. A broken in AR with standard phosphate BCG parts runs slicker than snot. Yeah sure the standard cam pin takes a tiny little chunk out of the upper receiver to create it's own clearance on a brand new gun. Is that a problem? No. The standard parts just flat work.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Page 2 has a picture of upper damage from using the round cam pin in a DI gun https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...er-Cam-Upgrade
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Page 2 has a picture of upper damage from using the round cam pin in a DI gun https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...er-Cam-Upgrade
    Thank you for sharing. Looks like the POF roller cam pin is a gimmick.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For piston guns, probably not. You'd have to get a new gas key to use it on a DI gun, that they made a modified gas key so it could be used on a DI gun tells me they are marketing it to DI AR owners.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    correct me if i’m wrong but the cam pin is a sacrificial part to be replaced as needed as it wears. this is cheaper and faster than replacing an upper.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m4luvr View Post
    correct me if i’m wrong but the cam pin is a sacrificial part to be replaced as needed as it wears. this is cheaper and faster than replacing an upper.
    Agree, they are soft(not hardened) to take some of the shock out and help slow down breakage of the bolt at the tail. I believe they were designed long on the side instead of square to distribute the load in the cam pin track.

The Sig Spear LT has a replaceable steel contact patch in the receiver, that is the correct improvement.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast