Page 1 of 89 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: BRT OPTIMUM Barrels

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

BRT OPTIMUM Barrels

In anticipation of the launch of our new series of OPTIMUM Barrels, we wanted to reveal some of the deeper aspects that makes these barrels some of the best options available on the market.

First a family picture.

These all share similar characteristics.

Nothing is done to "check the box" or blindly duplicate what currently exists in the market.

Each one is purpose driven to fulfill a particular need.
    Last edited by Clint; 09-08-18 at 12:18.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I'm as much of a "just buy a Colt(well, Sionics these days) as anyone, but I do find myself using or recommending your barrels about 1/2 of the time. Interested to learn more.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    And some of those deeper aspects are.....? I'm always interested. I'd at least be assured of my gun not being over/under gassed, but what else will we get?
    Sorry. I clicked the LINK.
    Last edited by BillB; 09-03-18 at 09:11.
    RealeyesRealizeRealLies

BCM 16" RECCE MK2 DkBrz, Custom Mk12 Mod1 built by Monty LeClair, 16" Middy w/ HCS RECCE barrel, A5, Young NM BCG, SSP, Geissele NM rail, Ops Inc., Super CH. 14.5" middy Noveske Afghan X3, 10.3" pistol DD barrell, Benelli M4, Ruger 10/22 w/Victor stock, GLOCK 17 Gen 4, Dan Wesson Valor Duty Coat, Dan Wesson Valor Blue, Dan Wesson Silverback 10mm, S&W 27 4"

B Co 4th502nd Inf Reg. '86-'90. 11b
    B Co 3rd187th InfReg. '90-'94. 11b
    Iron Rakkasans

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    My personal opinion on the specs. I think you've absolutely nailed the gas system specs on your barrel the profiles are also spot on.

To nitpick but def not hating on your product which I think is great BTW. Looking at the optimum lightweight specs I feel some of the choices are strange like 5r rifling and a 1/8 twist with a hybrid target crown. Its a bit confusing since you are essentially putting match grade barrel qualities into a lightweight fighting barrel which trades weight for accuracy. You then switch it up with your MPR barrel with a 6r rifling and 1/7 twist. The pricing considering its a QPQ barrel is also pretty steep getting into the FN or DD CHF territory.

What Im getting at is Im not sure what role the barrels are supposed to fill as a hard use fighting carbine barrel or precision barrel? I see you also have a SPR/match line which makes it even more confusing.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 09-03-18 at 00:32.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Thanks for the feedback.

The gas systems and profiles are where much of the focus has been.

The concept with those choices in the lightweight is those specs are not an "either/or" situation where one is clearly better for target use and less better for fighting use.

The difference between a 1/7 vs 1/8 twist will not make or break anything. Far more important is the spec which is never published - bore quality.

The crown description may be a bit confusing and we may modify that nomenclature in the future.

The concept with this whole line is to re-examine the possibilities, question conventional wisdom and make the best option available, regardless of what everyone else is or isn't doing.

It certainly isn't the easy way, but innovating rarely is.

Pricing is relative to value. We believe we have a compelling set of features with the performance to justify it.

Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    My personal opinion on the specs. I think you've absolutely nailed the gas system specs on your barrel the profiles are also spot on.

To nitpick but def not hating on your product which I think is great BTW. Looking at the optimum lightweight specs I feel some of the choices are strange like 5r rifling and a 1/8 twist with a hybrid target crown. Its a bit confusing since you are essentially putting match grade barrel qualities into a lightweight fighting barrel which trades weight for accuracy. You then switch it up with your MPR barrel with a 6r rifling and 1/7 twist. The pricing considering its a QPQ barrel is also pretty steep getting into the FN or DD CHF territory.

What Im getting at is Im not sure what role the barrels are supposed to fill as a hard use fighting carbine barrel or precision barrel? I see you also have a SPR/match line which makes it even more confusing.
    Black River Tactical

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I look at many of the additions or variations from what you find in most barrels and have come to the conclusion "Why not both?" I think as the market continues to evolve, the consumer asks more and more of what they get for their dollar in a buyer's market, and simply want more features in a given product.

For example, it absolutely may not matter, but why not have a target crown on that lightweight Barrel?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Barrel and Gas System Lengths Explained

16" EXT - The obvious general purpose length that needs no further explanation.
    The EXT gas system certainly deserves some attention.
    The Mid length gas system replicates the same "Power Time" as a 20" Rifle when used on a 16" barrel.
    At first glance, this seems to be the correct approach, but duplicating one parameter at the expense of others leaves much to be desired.

A better approach is to scale the relevant timing parameters to keep everything in proportion.
    Using this methodology, we developed the EXT gas system to be an OPTIMUM match for 16" barrels.
    The EXT length is longer than Mid length but shorter than Rifle length.
    This results in the widest operational envelope and the highest reliability possible.

14.0"MID - This length fulfills the need for a barrel that can be pinned and welded up to a non-NFA length using some of the longer muzzle devices available.
    The conventional Mid length gas system works great with this length, as recently complete NSWC-Crane testing has proven.

Any device 2.67" or longer will work without using shims.
    Some examples
    BE Meyers 249F
    SF Socom SF3P-556
    SF Warcomp
    Dead Air Flash Hider
    Noveske KX5
    SOLGW NOX Keymount

11.5" CAR - The middle ground in SBR lengths, it offers a great combination of velocity in a compact package that handles mixed suppressor use nicely.
    The ubiquitous Carbine gas system pairs nicely with this length.

9.0" PDW - A BRT exclusive that smashes the conventional wisdom of a 10.5" minimum length for "serious use".
    That conventional wisdom is true, but based on a Carbine length gas system.
    We created the PDW length gas system to handle a range of very short barrels and alternative calibers by splitting the difference between existing Carbine and Pistol lengths.
    A 9" barrel and the PDW gas system are a perfect match in 5.56/.223.

How about 2580 FPS from M193 and M855?
    This is a great alternative to 300BLK PDWs but uses common ammunition.
    Last edited by Clint; 09-03-18 at 12:27.
    Black River Tactical

Feedback Score
    Sorry Clint, I replied to your email before I saw your forum post.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Barrel and Gas System Lengths Explained

16" EXT - The obvious general purpose length that needs no further explanation.
    The EXT gas system certainly deserves some attention.
    The Mid length gas system replicates the same "Power Time" as a 20" Rifle when used on a 16" barrel.
    At first glance, this seems to be the correct approach, but duplicating one parameter at the expense of others leaves much to be desired.

A better approach is to scale the relevant timing parameters to keep everything in proportion.
    Using this methodology, we developed the EXT gas system to be an OPTIMUM match for 16" barrels.
    The EXT length is longer than Mid length but shorter than Rifle length.
    This results in the widest operational envelope and the highest reliability possible.

14.0"MID - This length fulfills the need for a barrel that can be pinned and welded up to a non-NFA length using some of the longer muzzle devices available.
    The conventional Mid length gas system works great with this length, as recently complete NSWC-Crane testing has proven.

Any device 2.67" or longer will work without using shims.
    Some examples
    BE Meyers 249F
    SF Socom SF3P-556
    SF Warcomp
    Dead Air Flash Hider
    Noveske KX5
    SOLGW NOX Keymount

11.5" CAR - The middle ground in SBR lengths, it offers a great combination of velocity in a compact package that handles mixed suppressor use nicely.
    The ubiquitous Carbine gas system pairs nicely with this length.

9.0" PDW - A BRT exclusive that smashes the conventional wisdom of a 10.5" minimum length for "serious use".
    That conventional wisdom is true, but based on a Carbine length gas system.
    We created the PDW length gas system to handle a range of very short barrels and alternative calibers by splitting the difference between existing Carbine and Pistol lengths.
    A 9" barrel and the PDW gas system are a perfect match in 5.56/.223.

How about 2580 FPS from M193 and M855?
    This is a great alternative to 300BLK PDWs but uses common ammunition.

Clint, many companies like Surefire SOCOM RC2's , Sig Sauer, Q , Silencerco Omega 300, etc. have a 10 " inch or more minimum barrel length restriction on their suppressors when used with 5.56 NATO pressure ammo. Do you think the BRT PDW length gas system on your 9" inch PDW barrel would be easier on the suppressor, where you could get away with going an inch under their recommended minimum barrel length , or would it not change anything with that at all? I would be using the Cherry bomb muzzle brake with an Omega 300.
    Last edited by Biggy; 09-04-18 at 07:50.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Barrel length restrictions for suppressors are fundamentally based on muzzle pressure vs material strength.

Those determinations are made through testing or calculations with (presumably) some safety factor.

The gas system won't change any of that.

The cherry bomb will help take some of the initial blast, so it may be fine, but getting an official OK would be worth a try.

What would SiCo say to using an aftermarket adapter and muzzle device and a shorter barrel on their suppressor?

Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    Clint, many companies like Surefire SOCOM RC2's , Sig Sauer, Q , Silencerco Omega 300, etc. have a 10 " inch or more minimum barrel length restriction on their suppressors when used with 5.56 NATO pressure ammo. Do you think the BRT PDW length gas system on your 9" inch PDW barrel would be easier on the suppressor, where you could get away with going an inch under their recommended minimum barrel length , or would it not change anything with that at all? I would be using the Cherry bomb muzzle brake with an Omega 300.
    Last edited by Clint; 09-08-18 at 12:20.
    Black River Tactical

Page 1 of 89 1231151 ... LastLast