Page 17 of 89 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: BRT OPTIMUM Barrels

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Corrected weights

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter98 View Post
    How do these barrels compare to a 16 inch faxon gunner or pencil barrel? Im looking for a barrel for a light weight build. Specifically I'm looking at the 16 inch BRT optimum light barrel.
    It depends how you compare them. IMHO the BRT is superior in all ways except weight.

The BRT optimum light barrel weighs 2 ounces more than a Faxon Gunner, 5 ounces more than a Faxon Pencil - all 16" tubes and advertised weights. The Gunner and more so the BRT have a heavier profile behind the gas block than the pencil barrel. They should be more accurate and have less POI shift due to temperature.

The BRT barrel has 5R rifling, which should result in higher velocities, may result in better accuracy, and will foul less.

The Faxon barrels will be generously gassed, and will happily run Tula .223 steel case ammo. On the flip side, they will not shoot as smoothly as the BRT.

My BRT 16" Optimum Light barrel did not lock the bolt back on the single round of Tula I fired through it. It does function perfectly with my mild reloads through IMI M193 ammo with an A5H2 buffer.

My BRT also shoots very soft/flat, noticeably so compared to my other 16" ARs. I have not fired it for accuracy, but it showed some real potential when I zeroed it's 1-4 optic at 100 yards/meters.

The BRT barrel includes a gas tube and is available from the manufacturer with a pinned low profile gas block.

Andy

P.S. I should add that I have a 20" Faxon Gunner barrel. It has proven to be accurate and reliable.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 01-20-19 at 14:53.

Feedback Score
    How do these barrels compare to a 16 inch faxon gunner or pencil barrel? Im looking for a barrel for a light weight build. Specifically I'm looking at the 16 inch BRT optimum light barrel.
    Andy covered it really well. I believe Faxon is the OEM for these but built to BRT spec. I would think the QC/QA is better with brt as well

The biggest difference is the improved gas system. Both the length and port sizing should make for a very smooth shooting and reliable gun.

The rifling and extra attention to detail are added bonuses as well .

Feedback Score
    so I guess the only downsides are slightly increased weight, increased cost and being iffy on super crap ammo. The slightly increased mass of the barrel is probably the better way to go and I wont really be using steel cased ammo. Plenty of cheap brass ammo out there. When funds allow, I'll probably get this barrel over the Faxon. Id rather have a smoother firing gun at the cost of 2 ounces. Is there any user test data to demonstrate these barrels accuracy capabilities? With the factory pinned gas block, do I just tap in the pin once everything is assembled?
    Last edited by Skeeter98; 01-20-19 at 19:53.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    Andy covered it really well. I believe Faxon is the OEM for these but built to BRT spec. I would think the QC/QA is better with brt as well

The biggest difference is the improved gas system. Both the length and port sizing should make for a very smooth shooting and reliable gun.

The rifling and extra attention to detail are added bonuses as well .
    The gas system is what really attracts me to this barrel.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    With the taper of the barrel shifting the weight to the back, the 2 oz is going to feel very negligible, imho.

Feedback Score
    yea I thought so as well. But everyone always says ounces=pounds but I don't think ill be hiking with this thing anytime soon.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    One of these barrels is currently in the EE for a good price that I’d jump on if I weren’t tapped out currently.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    yea I thought so as well. But everyone always says ounces=pounds but I don't think ill be hiking with this thing anytime soon.
    That's true...but that's also big picture. If your hand guard, barrel, gas block, muzzle device, sighting system, and stock are all individually heavier than needed you'll quickly add pounds to your build. That's different than purposely choosing a specific component for its attributes, such as the barrel in this case.
    My 16" Optimum barreled rifle with RDS weighs approx 7.5#, and I could probably use a lighter iron rear sight than a LMT rear, a lighter 12" hand guard than my 13" hand guard, and a lighter stock than the clubfoot Imod to get under 7# if that was my goal.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    so I guess the only downsides are slightly increased weight, increased cost and being iffy on super crap ammo. The slightly increased mass of the barrel is probably the better way to go and I wont really be using steel cased ammo. Plenty of cheap brass ammo out there. When funds allow, I'll probably get this barrel over the Faxon. Id rather have a smoother firing gun at the cost of 2 ounces. Is there any user test data to demonstrate these barrels accuracy capabilities? With the factory pinned gas block, do I just tap in the pin once everything is assembled?
    The optional pinned gas block has set screws (my barrel is dimpled) that you tighten, then install the pin.

Please keep in mind that I fired a single Tula round to see if it would lock the bolt to the rear, and that was with a new BCG. Tula is pretty weak stuff.

You may try a search for accuracy results.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    The optional pinned gas block has set screws (my barrel is dimpled) that you tighten, then install the pin.

Please keep in mind that I fired a single Tula round to see if it would lock the bolt to the rear, and that was with a new BCG. Tula is pretty weak stuff.

You may try a search for accuracy results.
    IIRC, Tula would barely cycle mine, but not lock back. I have an AGB on mine, though. I set it so standard brass 223 locks back when loosely held, and I think weaker PMC has to be shouldered to lock back.

Page 17 of 89 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast