Page 18 of 89 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: BRT OPTIMUM Barrels

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    That's true...but that's also big picture. If your hand guard, barrel, gas block, muzzle device, sighting system, and stock are all individually heavier than needed you'll quickly add pounds to your build. That's different than purposely choosing a specific component for its attributes, such as the barrel in this case.
    My 16" Optimum barreled rifle with RDS weighs approx 7.5#, and I could probably use a lighter iron rear sight than a LMT rear, a lighter 12" hand guard than my 13" hand guard, and a lighter stock than the clubfoot Imod to get under 7# if that was my goal.
    Yea I see what your saying. I plan to save weight everywhere else I can. Right now i'm thinking about going with the alg v2 rail or the brigand arms carbon fiber black edge tube. I was planning on going with a faxon gunner/pencil barrel but I think Id rather have a smoother shooting gun that doesn't open up as much at the expense of 3 to 5 ounces. It all trade offs with guns. To further save weight, Im planning on using a bcm mod 0 stock and an upper without the forward assist. But nothing is set in stone.
    Last edited by Skeeter98; 01-21-19 at 00:58.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    IIRC, Tula would barely cycle mine, but not lock back. I have an AGB on mine, though. I set it so standard brass 223 locks back when loosely held, and I think weaker PMC has to be shouldered to lock back.
    is not being able to shoot steel ammo reliably important? I'm somewhat new to this. on ammoseek, brass mil spec ammo seems pretty cheap.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter98 View Post
    is not being able to shoot steel ammo reliably important? I'm somewhat new to this. on ammoseek, brass mil spec ammo seems pretty cheap.
    It's personal preference. For me, brass cased ammo is easier to get and less trouble in the long run. I don't worry about steel case. In fact, I don't know steel cased ammo will reliably run any of my current ARs.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    It's not to me, but I had a couple boxes of it for some reason. I can see the appeal of shooting cheapest possible ammo, but quality ammo is as affordable as I've seen it in recent years.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The only steel cased .223/5.56 ammo I have ever purchased was to see if my ARs would run it reliably. Curiosity killed the cat, you know.

My 16" Optimum barrel functions correctly with mild reloads (24.5 gr TAC w/55 gr FMJ), and that is all I needed it to do.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    It's personal preference. For me, brass cased ammo is easier to get and less trouble in the long run. I don't worry about steel case. In fact, I don't know steel cased ammo will reliably run any of my current ARs.
    I think brass is affordable enough to avoid it. My understanding Is that steel on steel contact is rougher on your gun considering that these bullets may also have bimetal jackets along with their steel cases. Also the steel doesn't obturate and create a seal as well as brass since its a much stiffer metal and I think that's what accounts for a lot of the low power you see from those rounds along with sub par powder charges. But its alluring to be able to shoot anything if you really had to for some reason.

Feedback Score
    Maybe some of you folks can help me with something I've been thinking about.

I'm looking at the 16" Optimum SPR barrel from BRT to build into a sort of dual role/scoped carbine. I've wanted to do this build for a while and I'm starting to price out parts. I've been wanting to try the EFAB from Precision Armament. With the Optimum SPR barrel having 5/8-24" threads I would have to use the .308 version of the EFAB.

My question is, will the larger EFAB be effective at all when used with the smaller caliber? I'll have to reach out to Precision Armament for their thoughts as well but I figured I'd ask you all as well.

Thanks,

W.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WEK207 View Post
    My question is, will the larger EFAB be effective at all when used with the smaller caliber? I'll have to reach out to Precision Armament for their thoughts as well but I figured I'd ask you all as well.
    Same question from me, but for the SF Warcomp/FH muzzle devices in 7.62. The 5/8 thread size on the Optimum (mine anyway) necessitates this caliber for this line of muzzle devices to be compatible, will that degrade their (the muzzle devices, not the barrel) effectiveness at doing what they're supposed to do?
    Last edited by ASeabrook; 01-26-19 at 14:08.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Most 7.62 muzzle devices are still plenty effective.

All things being equal, one can expect a slight reduction in brake effectiveness using a larger bore.

But 7.62 muzzle devices are often larger overall and therefore more effective than their 5.56 versions.

These two factors tend to offset each other.

Our SPR barrel topped with a 30 cal Q cherry bomb moves very little and can be pretty much fired one handed.

We're finishing up a customer build with an MPR barrel and a Dead Air key-mount brake which should perform similarly.

Quote Originally Posted by WEK207 View Post
    I'm looking at the 16" Optimum SPR barrel from BRT to build into a sort of dual role/scoped carbine. I've been wanting to try the EFAB from Precision Armament. With the Optimum SPR barrel having 5/8-24" threads I would have to use the .308 version of the EFAB.

My question is, will the larger EFAB be effective at all when used with the smaller caliber?
    Quote Originally Posted by ASeabrook View Post
    Same question from me, but for the SF Warcomp/FH muzzle devices in 7.62. The 5/8 thread size on the Optimum (mine anyway) necessitates this caliber for this line of muzzle devices to be compatible, will that degrade their (the muzzle devices, not the barrel) effectiveness at doing what they're supposed to do?
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Thanks Clint!

That helps put me at ease. Still in the preliminary planning stages but hopefully I'll be picking up one of your barrels soon.

Page 18 of 89 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast