Page 40 of 89 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: BRT OPTIMUM Barrels

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    BLUF: 14.x" intermediate weight barrel for a P&W builds. Something under med-con without going pencil weight by using the tapered Optimum profile.

I've very happy with my Optimum 16" and my (always)suppressed 14" medium contoured. I've thought of building a copy of the 14" with a WarComp instead of SFMB, but wonder if I might as well do a lighter profile barrel since being suppressed would be a secondary consideration. Even better if I could get a FSB on it. I don't know that I'm doing any new complete builds anytime soon, but I'll be replacing barrels eventually, and I do like the polygonal 6P rifling since it gives good accuracy and seems to boost velocity a bit.
    Last edited by opngrnd; 11-24-19 at 18:41. Reason: Grammar...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Looking to the future, what configurations and profiles would everyone like to see?

We've had some feedback on lighter profiles and 12.5" a length.

Please include "the WHY" regarding any favorites.
    Is there any benefit to the PDW gas system at various short lengths? Could it be used on a 10.5-11.5" barrel with a reduced gas port?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Looking to the future, what configurations and profiles would everyone like to see?

I'll be that guy and say a 10.3" with a proper gas port and a medium contour. I like the shorter length vs. 11.5", if I'm going to have shorty.

I'd want a 12.5" too.
    Last edited by Zane1844; 11-24-19 at 19:09.
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    A 10.3-.5 carbine-gassed barrel is pretty good suppressed (with proper gas port) if you need to save the inch. The .3 versus .5 is a negligible difference. Of course, the 10.3 resulted from the location of the bayonet lug and the requirement for a suppressor. 10.3 was the shortest the barrel could be cut without modifying the bayonet lug on the front sight base of an M4 barrel.
    Unsuppressed, the 10.5’s window of operation/function is small as it relates to environmental conditions, ammunition types, and weapon condition.
    So, my feeling is that for suppressed only use, a 10.5 with a carbine gas system would be relevant if you really want or need to save that extra inch.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    For 5.56, the PDW system works well for ~9" barrels.

The 10.5 and 11.5 are better served by the CAR system.

The PDW system should be a nice option for longer 300BLK barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Is there any benefit to the PDW gas system at various short lengths? Could it be used on a 10.5-11.5" barrel with a reduced gas port?
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Chrome lining. I have a few melonited barrels including an optimum lpr but I'd like to see your profiles and gas lengths with a chrome lined bore.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmd08 View Post
    Chrome lining. I have a few melonited barrels including an optimum lpr but I'd like to see your profiles and gas lengths with a chrome lined bore.
    That would seal the deal for me on multiple barrels. I plan on buying one anyway but would probably grab a few other lengths/profiles if they were chrome.

I understand some are stainless etc and a melonite coating is great for that. I also know there is testing that shows similar performance for non-full auto guns, but most of the major manufactures I buy barrels from use chrome... LMT, Colt, BCM, DD, FN, Sionics, Centurion etc..

BRT and SOLGW are 2 companies I would buy non chrome barrels from because I know they are gassed correctly. You best them for barrels because you have better profiles and gas system lengths, but some chrome lined would be awesome!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

One of the things that makes the 14.0” barrel cool is that it is just long enough to work with a KAC URX4 13” handguard, and leaves just enough room to mount a Griffin M4SDk can, which requires like a quarter inch behind the barrel shoulder. I’ve been building most of my rifles around the URX4, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

For these reasons, I would like to see an 11.0” and a 12.0” barrel that I will purchase to have as spares for when I need to replace my existing 11.3” and 12.3” BA Hanson barrels in my URX4 10” and 10.75” uppers. Specs include: 5.56, 1/7, some sort of medium contour, ported for mixed suppressed/unsuppressed use with quality brass .223 and 5.56.

And I will likely buy another 14” barrel at some point, if available. At my current rate, I am unlikely to ever burn out my current 14”, but its a cool upper that I will never sell. Basically the best general purpose SBR length for unsuppressed use, IMO.

I would also like to see barrel assemblies for a Kino type with taper pinned FSB on a 12.x” and a 605 type with 15.x” barrel that I can use to replace my PSA mock Dissy, and at least look like a clone. Some sort of medium contour for the Kino, and pencil with .625 FSB for the faux 605. 1/7 and 5.56 chamber, of course. I have to maintain proficiency with M16 and M4 irons, and I would rather do so with these configurations, because they are fun.

Change the PDW 9” to 9.5” so I can use it with a URX4 8.5”, and make it suppressed only.

Any chance of chrome lining in the future?
    Last edited by 1168; 11-25-19 at 15:24.

Feedback Score
    I’d like to see a 12.5” with carbine gas system in the heavier profile. I think the 12.5” is the perfect size. Not too long to suppress and still has enough velocity for good terminal performance.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    ^with the polygonal rifling I wonder if the velocity wouldn't be approaching standard 14.5" bbl velocities.

Page 40 of 89 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast