Page 50 of 89 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: BRT OPTIMUM Barrels

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    That is reasonable, provided everything else is properly done.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Is 1 MOA or better with factory OTM or handloaded OTM ammo a reasonable expectation from these barrels?

If the concern is replacement parts, the problem can be solved by picking up an inexpensive spare tube.

Looking at the new 12.5”. Although I’m not entirely sure I’ve come around to the idea of a proprietary gas system (tube length).
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    That is reasonable, provided everything else is properly done.

If the concern is replacement parts, the problem can be solved by picking up an inexpensive spare tube.
    I'm coming around to the idea haha. Does the barrel come with a gas tube or does that need to be added to the cart?

Do you happen to know if your MicroPin GB will fit under the wedgelock rails on the market? Seems they're pretty picky about certain gas blocks.
    Last edited by Ironman8; 06-10-20 at 12:52.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    I can't venture a guess at how accurate the barrels will be, but my BRT MPR was sub-MOA on good days and 1.1MOA on bad days using OTM and 77gr TMKs. My BRT 16" LW was slightly more than MOA averaged across a handful of loads, and while I've never grouped my 14" BRT barrel, it has been notably accurate. The 14" and 16" MPR barrel also have the same 6P poly-hybrid rifling as the new LW BRT barrels do.

I purchased a 12.5" Criterion Core barrel when they were out of 11.5" barrels and right before the new 11.5 & 12.5 BRT barrels were announced. While I'm happy with the Criterion, I would have held off for the BRT offering on account of the probable velocity gain from the 6P rifling and the slightly lighter profile. For me, accuracy on pistol builds was not my main priority, and my pistol builds wear Aimpoints. I also just order an extra gas tube when I grab the barrel. I was a little apprehensive about proprietary parts at first when I got into the 16" Optimum barrel, but I'm glad I did. There's nowhere local to me that sells the good stuff, so anything I need comes through the mail anyway...
    Thanks for the feedback, I thought I had seen that you picked up the Criterion. I'd love to see an actual accuracy test between the two 12.5" barrels and also comments on balance/weight distribution. This is for a 12.5" "mini-Recce", so accuracy is a little more important to me than the blaster RD equipped type build.

Feedback Score
    What upper receivers are you guys running in these precision rifles? Does it matter that much?

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Thanks for the feedback, I thought I had seen that you picked up the Criterion. I'd love to see an actual accuracy test between the two 12.5" barrels and also comments on balance/weight distribution. This is for a 12.5" "mini-Recce", so accuracy is a little more important to me than the blaster RD equipped type build.
    Understood. I've pre-ordered BRT's new 11.5", so I'm afraid I won't be able to give you a direct comparison. The Core 12.5 feels good, in a way I'd expect the BRT 12.5 to feel even better due to the weight difference. Of note is that I'm only running a RDS, irons, and sling.

Quote Originally Posted by 01svtL View Post
    What upper receivers are you guys running in these precision rifles? Does it matter that much?
    I default to Vltor MUR 90% of the time, and use blem BCM uppers when not going with Vltor. I have only ever had accurate builds, so at worst it doesn't hurt to use those two. I do like the added structural safety in the event of a kaboom with the Vltor, but my BCM uppers have also put out some good groups from good builds.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Understood. I've pre-ordered BRT's new 11.5", so I'm afraid I won't be able to give you a direct comparison. The Core 12.5 feels good, in a way I'd expect the BRT 12.5 to feel even better due to the weight difference. Of note is that I'm only running a RDS, irons, and sling.

I default to Vltor MUR 90% of the time, and use blem BCM uppers when not going with Vltor. I have only ever had accurate builds, so at worst it doesn't hurt to use those two. I do like the added structural safety in the event of a kaboom with the Vltor, but my BCM uppers have also put out some good groups from good builds.
    Ok. I have a couple of spare Aero forged uppers laying around. I was thinking about building them out with either the new 12.5 or 14" barrels from BRT.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Is 1 MOA or better with factory OTM or handloaded OTM ammo a reasonable expectation from these barrels? Looking at the new 12.5”. Although I’m not entirely sure I’ve come around to the idea of a proprietary gas system (tube length).
    I thought the same way until I bought one and a spare gas tube. It's extremely unlikely that a barrel would out-last 2 gas tubes.

I am sure folks felt the same way about mid-length tubes when they were introduced.

Andy

Feedback Score
    I'm coming around to the idea haha. Does the barrel come with a gas tube or does that need to be added to the cart?

Do you happen to know if your MicroPin GB will fit under the wedgelock rails on the market? Seems they're pretty picky about certain gas blocks.
    I'm assembling a 10.75 wedgelock using the brt gasblock. Just got it in today. Plenty of clearance top, bottom and sides but it's gonna be tricky to get and mlock nut to fit under where the gasblock is. Probably gonna need to modify the nuts or block. I'm thankfully not going to need to put mlok in that area.

K

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 01svtL View Post

I'm using the bootleg. Beefed up receiver extension area and undersized receiver extension diameter. Can confirm it is a nice solid fit with the BRT nitrided extension. Not a press fit but zero wiggle.

IMG_20200615_195504.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by netrecce; 06-15-20 at 21:57.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    A few new views.
    12.5"

11.5"
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Page 50 of 89 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast