Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Loading last chamber "hot" in revolver to signal reload?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Loading last chamber "hot" in revolver to signal reload?

Was this ever proposed? Must have been by somebody.

Was thinking if one loaded the last chamber of their starting load with a "hotter" round (more recoil and / or muzzle blast) they would know that was the last shot and it was reload / back up gun / or flee time.

I don't see a down side. It won't hurt follow up shots, because there won't be any. If you did a partial reload you might lose track of where the "hot" round is. But that is an extremely unlikely scenario.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    In a scenario where I'm defending myself I'm not going to be able to tell if "that" round was a 158 gr. LSWC .38 Special or a 125 gr., full house .357.
    I believe that's "auditory exclusion" or something.
    My experience has been that ALL rounds sounded like a "pop" with the adrenaline pumping.

Bet is; you'll shoot the gun dry and know it when your revolver goes "click/click/click".

Feedback Score
    People can usually feel their rifle bolt lock back and see/ feel a pistol slide lock back after the last shot.

I don't see why, done regularly in training and practice, a person wouldn't notice the last shot of a cylinder full having more blast and recoil.

I'm going to try it out.

To be clear, it's just for the initial load carried in the gun, not going to be indexing reloads.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Sure. On the range I can feel bolt lock/see slide lock, or could feel the diff between a full house and range load.

However- if you've shot on a range, with 15 other people shooting beside/around you it becomes a lot more difficult to make that distinction. Shooting to slide lock is a different story, the slide is my line of sight and is pretty obvious when it locks back.
    I would give myself about a zero chance of being able to distinguish a hot revolver rd. from a not so hot rd. with someone shooting at me.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just relating my experience.
    Try it and see, it may work for you.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Sure. On the range I can feel bolt lock/see slide lock, or could feel the diff between a full house and range load.

However- if you've shot on a range, with 15 other people shooting beside/around you it becomes a lot more difficult to make that distinction. Shooting to slide lock is a different story, the slide is my line of sight and is pretty obvious when it locks back.
    I would give myself about a zero chance of being able to distinguish a hot revolver rd. from a not so hot rd. with someone shooting at me.

Totally agree. I've run my rifle to lock back and didn't know it because I was aggressively drilling with movement. Multiply that sensory overload in the context of a real fight, and forget it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Loading your revolver so the last round is hotter than the rest is a unnecessary complication.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    When we shoot and know our weapon we normally feel when it's locked back and empty.

We feel the difference between hotter and weaker loads. We (hopefully) recognize a squib load.

I think it's very likely a shooter, even with the stress of extreme duress, will notice when the .38 rounds are gone and the last chamber, a .357 magnum load, has fired. Due to practice the shooter will recognize what that means.

Curious. If someone posted that a last round bolt hold open device could never be used to "feel" a rifle or pistol was empty during a fight 10 people would post they disagree in about as many minutes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post

What about when your the only one shooting? If you were shooting a drill and a buddy secretly loaded a magnum round in your revolver I'll be you'd notice when you got to it.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    What about when your the only one shooting? If you were shooting a drill and a buddy secretly loaded a magnum round in your revolver I'll be you'd notice when you got to it.
    I’ve seen this. And you’re right. Standing on the range, you notice that magnum round snuck in at the end. But that’s exactly it, on the range in a relatively stress free environment when you’re wearing protective equipment. This is akin to loading the last round in your mag as a +P when your shooting standard for the others. It’s just not done.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    ^^This.

Of course I’d notice a single hot rd. doing drills- by myself.
    Throw in sensory overload of a dozen guys around me, also blazing away and I’d have a really small chance of noticing.
    Add worrying about cover, friendlies locacations, incoming fire, dark, muzzle flash, blah/blah- no way.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast