Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Loading last chamber "hot" in revolver to signal reload?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Det-Sog View Post
    THAT!

As someone that began his LEO career with a wheel gun at what seems a hundred years ago... We carried ONE type of ammo. HOT. With a wheel gun, it's shot placement and ROUND COUNT. There was no "spray and pray" back then. We were taught to keep a round count. Back then, there was not 46 rounds of ammo on your belt. You had 18... Yup... 18 rounds to do your business or make an egress. That, and you better be able to reload because the bad guys were counting rounds also.
    That's cool.

This is for you, enjoy!

https://youtu.be/mRpneRYaRNU
    Last edited by Ron3; 09-06-18 at 06:48.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Those tend to lead to slower, less accurate shots, though. But not with the last shot.
    Sounds like you’re really into this despite everyone telling you it’s not sound practice. You asked a question, got an answer (several times) and now you’re just being argumentative with nonsense.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Sounds like you’re really into this despite everyone telling you it’s not sound practice. You asked a question, got an answer (several times) and now you’re just being argumentative with nonsense.
    I'm not arguing. Just discussing. What nonsense?
    I've only learned one downside and that can be worked. (POI)
    I'll try it out next time I shoot.

Feedback Score
    Then we should all shoot 22's.

Hot ammo won't slow your first shot. It does not harm accuracy. Sure it can slow down your follow up shots especially if the training isn't there.

How many follow up shots will be needed with weak ammo? Will this number neccesitate a reload? Shooting fewer shots is faster than shooting more shots. Not a good path to start out on.

For a 9mm semi auto with 15+1 I'm ok with standard power sd ammo. But for something like a 5 shot 38, you need all 5 rounds to be as good as they can be because 38's are weak to begin with. The first shot is the most important.

What revolver are you using?
    Those tend to lead to slower, less accurate shots, though. But not with the last shot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by P2000 View Post

What revolver are you using?
    I've got a Ruger LCR .357 and a GP100 .44 Special. (3 inch)

I haven't carried the LCR in a while but I may again at some point. When carried it's loaded with the moderate Remington .357 Golden Sabre. I also have Critical Duty .357. They have a little extra recoil but much less than full power loads.

I haven't carried the GP100 yet because I'm waiting on a holster. (Will be a few weeks)

I normally carry auto's. Mainly a Beretta Cheetah 7.65mm. (12+1 .32 acp) Wife carries her own LCR .357 loaded with 125 gr +p .38's.
    Last edited by Ron3; 09-06-18 at 06:51.

Feedback Score
    I'm sorry. You are talking about carrying a magnum revolver and you normally carry a 33acp. Rather than spending time on the esoteric, maybe study ballistics. People are telling you this is a bad idea but candidly it's a better idea than carrying 32 acp. In that sense, it's the best idea ever.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    Damien

If a large number of people are willing to kill you for saying something, then it probably really needs to be said. .

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KTR03 View Post
    I'm sorry. You are talking about carrying a magnum revolver and you normally carry a 33acp. Rather than spending time on the esoteric, maybe study ballistics. People are telling you this is a bad idea but candidly it's a better idea than carrying 32 acp. In that sense, it's the best idea ever.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    When I feel like carrying a very light belt gun, it's the LCR (19 oz loaded). When I want a bigger gun in a front pocket it's also the LCR.

The Cheetah is my normal belt gun. Its also pretty light. (27 oz loaded) The grip is quite fat, though. The .32 isn't horrible, (14-16 in. Penetration in cal. Ord. Gelatin with tumbling typically) it certainly isn't much for barriers. That can be good or bad.

It has a good, safe DA trigger and very nice, short, SA trigger. As reliable as a pistol gets, too. Bullets come fast and accurate. Fire one if you get the chance. It's the Caddalac of .32's/.380's. A mini-92 with the safety decocker on the frame where it should be. Entirely made of metal and wood.

But I digress. If the hotter, last round in a revolver has the same POI, why is it a bad idea?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Was thinking if one loaded the last chamber of their starting load with a "hotter" round (more recoil and / or muzzle blast) they would know that was the last shot and it was reload / back up gun / or flee time.
    Pass, for the reasons other post.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Loading your revolver so the last round is hotter than the rest is a unnecessary complication.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    Big negative. POI shift.
    Often less a practical issue than believed. Shooters are also much more of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by P2000 View Post
    I'd rather have all the shots "hot"
    I want the least amount of recoil, blast, and muzzle flash necessary to meet terminal ballistic performance standards. With modern bullet technology, there is much less need for cartridges to be "hot."
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    All good points! I also wonder about the legal ramification of having "extra deadly" ammo in the pistol and a very anti-gun prosecutor ? Chalk it to unnecessary complication.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    All good points! I also wonder about the legal ramification of having "extra deadly" ammo in the pistol and a very anti-gun prosecutor ? Chalk it to unnecessary complication.
    That's a thought, but probably no worse than having jhp's.

I don't see what is so complicated about this.
    "Bang-bang, bang-bang-Boom", and you immediately know your empty. Now you make a decision what to do next.

Better than taking another aim, pulling the trigger, and hearing "click". That used to aggravate me when I used AK's. Still aggravating with revolvers.
    Last edited by Ron3; 09-13-18 at 18:52.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast